The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

51 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Hughes should be very careful how he handles this as I do think the canucks would explore trading him if this doesnt end soon. Petey will get done.

33 minutes ago, Mayhem300 said:

Maybe that's what he wants ...

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I just get this feeling that Hughes is trying to say all of the right things (I want to play in Vancouver, etc.), but in reality he'd prefer to play in Jersey - where it smells. 

If a trade were to happen with Hughes, I'm sure the Canucks could get a great return for him.

Also, with him in Jersey - where it smells, the Canucks would only have to face him twice a season - and possibly the SCF one of these years  :bigblush:

If Pettersson and Hughes are acting like this - this early in their careers, maybe it's best to move them, the Canucks don't need the drama.  Keep the players that want to play here. 

What's with the BS speculation going on here?

Hughes cannot sign until Petey gets signed due to leverage issues. There could be a verbally agreed upon deal already for all we know. From reports, Hughes is the guy we're probably going to lock up long-term.

Petey is the one whose contract talks aren't really close to being done yet, as reported by the agent himself. That's going to hold off the Hughes' talks for as long as it drags on for.

Also, I'm just a guy on a message board, so obviously no need to take my word seriously. But I know for a fact that Quinn wants to stay in Vancouver long-term. I don't know anything else about the contract talks but that I'm sure of. You can take my signature or location as a hint.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I just get this feeling that Hughes is trying to say all of the right things (I want to play in Vancouver, etc.)

This is what NHL players learn to do instead of being honest. Benning is taught that way also yet he is called honest. 

40 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If Pettersson and Hughes are acting like this - this early in their careers, maybe it's best to move them, the Canucks don't need the drama.  Keep the players that want to play here. 

If only the same could be said of the dramatic fans… Can we trade them to another team?

Is there a team out there with wonderful fans, no drama, that supports the players through thick and thin? 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I do not want 1sts I want players. Look at our team we are ready to roll now.

Ty Smith is quite a good player too though.. I don't think there's any way realistically VAN can say no to that deal (and also don't think NJ would pay that much), even if our fanbase would likely go berserk. 

On 5/21/2021 at 1:47 AM, Petey_BOI said:

for perspective the sdeins 3 season prior to their 6.1m contract they were 0.97ppg.

that contract today would be 8.8m

Also for even more perspective, those were all UFA years bought...of course the broke out for two of those four years even more which worked out great for us. 

Edited by IBatch

52 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lou: Whadda you want for Quinn?

Jim: A new contract. Why, you gonna help?

Lou: No, Jim. We want to get him in Jersey.

Jim: Like, to play for the Devils?  Aww, I dunno Lou. I'm not sure I could sell that, you know, to the Aqualinis, and the fans would hate me even more.

Lou: We'll give you Ty Smith, a 1st in 2022 and a 2nd in 2023.  Think about it. 

Would you? 

Substitute Kevin Bahl for the second.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nope. 

You need an NHL contract to be contractually obligated to attend camp. 

Neither Petey nor Hughes are signed to contract for the 2021-22 season, so they can’t be forced to do anything.

They could attend camp, if they really wanted to, but this is extremely rare for unsigned RFAs. Any good agent would strongly caution against it, both because it weakens their negotiating position, and it puts the player at unnecessary injury risk, while not protected by a contract. It happens occasionally, but almost always with players who are just about to have their contracts signed and filed, and they choose to show up a day or two before their deals are formally registered (it’s still extremely rare though).

Paid days (salary) in the NHL are only during the regular season. The season opener is the first paid day, and the final game of the regular season is the last paid day.

Players under contract are obligated to attend camp, but they’re not technically “paid” for training camp.

(At least they’re not paid their annual salaries, other than signing bonuses, until the regular season. There is a modest per diem for meals/sundries during camp/preseason, but that’s not part of their salary, and it’s the same for each player. There’s also travel expense coverage and accommodations.)

There have been Canucks in the past, that actually attending camp without a contract.   I will let you figure out who it was.  

38 minutes ago, Grape said:

What's with the BS speculation going on here?

Hughes cannot sign until Petey gets signed due to leverage issues. There could be a verbally agreed upon deal already for all we know. From reports, Hughes is the guy we're probably going to lock up long-term.

Petey is the one whose contract talks aren't really close to being done yet, as reported by the agent himself. That's going to hold off the Hughes' talks for as long as it drags on for.

Also, I'm just a guy on a message board, so obviously no need to take my word seriously. But I know for a fact that Quinn wants to stay in Vancouver long-term. I don't know anything else about the contract talks but that I'm sure of. You can take my signature or location as a hint.

I would be concerned that this team does not make the same mistakes that it has in the past where they were very loyal to some players and it turned out to bite them in the butt. What did the Sedins, Edler, Tanev or Markstrom do to help the team out after they were treated with years and years of loyalty? 

This is a business and a team, I am more interested in players signing here because they want to win a cup and they will do this at ALL COSTS! 

Sure we can pay them outrageous amounts of money but what does that leave the team to do to surround them with quality players? 

I say offer them a fair deal and if they refuse, then move on and bring in someone who will play for just a little less for the team to succeed. Really do they need 11 million instead of 10 Million per year? Really?

• Like 2

So, after reading the last few pages, I'm seeing all the same stuff from fans.

Both sides have been really tight lipped about the negotiations, there is nothing out there on what expectations are, except wild speculation from fans and the media.

Can we stop assuming what they are asking for when there is ZERO proof to back it up?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I love EP (QH as well of course!) but in the grand scheme of things the team and the chance to win is a bigger priority.

As many have stated, we don't really know what the holdup is, and speculating is futile. If I were to guess though, I'd say EP might be really hard on the term as he wants to control his destiny in a few years and might not have 100% trust in current management, while I don't think the money is really the issue long term or short term. That's understandable. I have a feeling what it will end up in is like 4 x 7 for EP and while I was against that earlier (as he'd be FA) it might not be the worst idea, kinda like a show me deal for  both parties.

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Both sides have been really tight lipped about the negotiations, there is nothing out there on what expectations are, except wild speculation from fans and the media.

Can we stop assuming what they are asking for when there is ZERO proof to back it up?

Over 200 pages of the same stuff haha

I don't even know why I keep clicking on this thread.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

It's what prompted me to point out the toxicity of our fanbase a few pages back in this thread, but I got completely obliterated when I did that :lol:. Case in point - all of the hoopla with those who couldn't keep up with Green's bag skate.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

It's what prompted me to point out the toxicity of our fanbase a few pages back in this thread, but I got completely obliterated when I did that :lol:. Case in point - all of the hoopla with those who couldn't keep up with Green's bag skate.

I like the bag skate idea. Its a great equalizer and team building event. Its weird how some of our local media are trying to use it to anger the fan base. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lou: Whadda you want for Quinn?

Jim: A new contract. Why, you gonna help?

Lou: No, Jim. We want to get him in Jersey.

Jim: Like, to play for the Devils?  Aww, I dunno Lou. I'm not sure I could sell that, you know, to the Aqualinis, and the fans would hate me even more.

Lou: We'll give you Ty Smith, a 1st in 2022 and a 2nd in 2023.  Think about it. 

Would you? 

No.

I’d rather trade a Pettersson package for J Hughes + L Hughes.

Quinn Hughes today is a small, below average defender, but elite OFD. In 4-5 years, once he’s physically stronger, he’ll be everything for the Canucks. Possibly even future captain. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

but we are using the hypothetical IF.... :bigblush: