The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

38 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, after reading the last few pages, I'm seeing all the same stuff from fans.

Both sides have been really tight lipped about the negotiations, there is nothing out there on what expectations are, except wild speculation from fans and the media.

Can we stop assuming what they are asking for when there is ZERO proof to back it up?

To me, this suggests that they might indeed be "close", as Benning claims.  A common scenario for leaks is that one side is trying to embarrass or pressure the other.  No matter how professional both sides may be, eventually they do start playing hardball and leaks are a part of that.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I would be concerned that this team does not make the same mistakes that it has in the past where they were very loyal to some players and it turned out to bite them in the butt. What did the Sedins, Edler, Tanev or Markstrom do to help the team out after they were treated with years and years of loyalty? 

This is a business and a team, I am more interested in players signing here because they want to win a cup and they will do this at ALL COSTS! 

Sure we can pay them outrageous amounts of money but what does that leave the team to do to surround them with quality players? 

I say offer them a fair deal and if they refuse, then move on and bring in someone who will play for just a little less for the team to succeed. Really do they need 11 million instead of 10 Million per year? Really?

"What did the Sedins, Edler, Tanev or Markstrom do to help the team out after they were treated with years and years of loyalty?"

Unless I'm not understanding correctly, are you for real?

You're going to cite the SEDINS as examples as to why we shouldn't try to re-sign our two best players to the best of our abilities? And you're going to say that we were loyal to the two greatest players in our franchise history, as if not being loyal was the rational choice? THEY were the ones loyal to us!!!.

"I say offer them a fair deal and if they refuse, then move on and bring in someone who will play for just a little less for the team to succeed."

Who are we supposed to find that can just come in and replace Petey and Hughes? You don't just find two franchise level talents in the UFA market, and if you do, you're going to have to overpay massively, more so than the RFA market. You don't just draft two generational talents just to move them away once their rookie contracts are up. Sure, don't give in to their demands and play the waiting game, but are you serious? Move on just to show them who's tough? Trust me, we won't be better off without Petey and Hughes for a long time.

Is your point that we shouldn't have been so "loyal" to guys like the Sedins and Edler? 

Also, neither Petey nor Hughes are getting paid 10M nor 11M, you don't have to worry about that.

Edited by Grape
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, J-P said:

I love EP (QH as well of course!) but in the grand scheme of things the team and the chance to win is a bigger priority.

As many have stated, we don't really know what the holdup is, and speculating is futile. If I were to guess though, I'd say EP might be really hard on the term as he wants to control his destiny in a few years and might not have 100% trust in current management, while I don't think the money is really the issue long term or short term. That's understandable. I have a feeling what it will end up in is like 4 x 7 for EP and while I was against that earlier (as he'd be FA) it might not be the worst idea, kinda like a show me deal for  both parties.

What if they then do a 7x3 so that Canucks get RFA rights on Petey but if he doesn't like the direction of the team, he can go to arbitration after 3rd year and do a 1 year at 8m and then go to free agency? 

Gives both sides options no? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J-P said:

I love EP (QH as well of course!) but in the grand scheme of things the team and the chance to win is a bigger priority.

As many have stated, we don't really know what the holdup is, and speculating is futile. If I were to guess though, I'd say EP might be really hard on the term as he wants to control his destiny in a few years and might not have 100% trust in current management, while I don't think the money is really the issue long term or short term. That's understandable. I have a feeling what it will end up in is like 4 x 7 for EP and while I was against that earlier (as he'd be FA) it might not be the worst idea, kinda like a show me deal for  both parties.

Personally, I'd rather let him sit until he's willing to sign a contract that isn't 4 years.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Grape said:

"What did the Sedins, Edler, Tanev or Markstrom do to help the team out after they were treated with years and years of loyalty?"

Unless I'm not understanding correctly, are you for real?

You're going to cite the SEDINS as examples as to why we shouldn't try to re-sign our two best players to the best of our abilities? And you're going to say that we were loyal to the two greatest players in our franchise history, as if not being loyal was the rational choice? THEY were the ones loyal to us!!!.

"I say offer them a fair deal and if they refuse, then move on and bring in someone who will play for just a little less for the team to succeed."

Who are we supposed to find that can just come in and replace Petey and Hughes? You don't just find two franchise level talents in the UFA market, and if you do, you're going to have to overpay massively, more so than the RFA market. You don't just draft two generational talents just to move them away once their rookie contracts are up. Sure, don't give in to their demands and play the waiting game, but are you serious? Move on just to show them who's tough? Trust me, we won't be better off without Petey and Hughes for a long time.

Is your point that we shouldn't have been so "loyal" to guys like the Sedins and Edler? 

Also, neither Petey nor Hughes are getting paid 10M nor 11M, you don't have to worry about that.

Burrows, in my mind, was the only one who thought of the "team first" when it was time for him to move on but none of the others would sacrifice anything for the team, especially Edler. The Great "Sedins" could have sacrificed a year to bring in something for the future for the team, but they didn't. 

No matter what they decide, we will get fair market value for them even if its just picks. I believe the character of the player is a game changer and if money is the issue then I can't see that true commitment to win a Cup at all costs. So to me, that brings down their value. I would much rather see a "Motte" type player give his all in the playoffs then watch some Whiney player complain about this or that. Maybe that's just me. 

Sorry about the 10/11 Million dollar statement I didn't know you were the "literal" type. ::D

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lou: Whadda you want for Quinn?

Jim: A new contract. Why, you gonna help?

Lou: No, Jim. We want to get him in Jersey.

Jim: Like, to play for the Devils?  Aww, I dunno Lou. I'm not sure I could sell that, you know, to the Aqualinis, and the fans would hate me even more.

Lou: We'll give you Ty Smith, a 1st in 2022 and a 2nd in 2023.  Think about it. 

Would you? 

Right now? Deal.....

• Vintage 1