The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

33 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Bo will be 31 in 5 years. Still a serviceable player, but he’s the foundation of this core. The time is soon to really push.

The rest of them will be in their upper 20s and Bo will be no doubt be effective still.  I give this team 7-8 years before the window is closed unless JB keeps the team young over the years.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+a+coon's+age

Jumping into the sub discussion of meanings of terms - I checked this as it's a term I use and always understood it to reference a raccoon's life span.  It does in fact, but as others have indicated, it's also a slang term that is racist so I'll remove it from my vocabulary, along with some of the others referenced in this discussion.  Totem poles, restless natives, my vocabulary needs to improve.  

Thanks all for the thoughtful discussion and perspectives.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I don't feel the need to tread lightly everywhere with everyone.  However, after spending more time understanding some of the indigenous history and considering my observations over the years living in the interior, I do think this is an area where cultural sensitivity and understanding is needed and words do matter.  The phrase is commonly used without any intention of racism by an individual, but as a society it's helpful to remind ourselves that these common phrases can be interpreted in ways that can be hurtful.....so why not use another phrase with less potential for unintended interpretations?  Sept 30th is coming and these are the small ways we can help each other out.

I agree with that and yes people take things differenly then the person saying or texting means, saying this lots do it all the time, so why not think positive instead of always thinking the worst??

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yup if you want hits and likes post this type of nonsense.  Breaking it down.  Benning is with the team in Wash state.  Brisson is somewhere on the west coast...probably.

They plan to talk.  Maybe tonight.

Yup brilliant.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Yup if you want hits and likes post this type of nonsense.  Breaking it down.  Benning is with the team in Wash state.  Brisson is somewhere on the west coast...probably.

Yup brilliant.

It’s better than some of the gibberish folks are typing into this thread!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I agree with that and yes people take things differenly then the person saying or texting means, saying this lots do it all the time, so why not think positive instead of always thinking the worst??

Not thinking the worst.  Seeing your response confirmed that for sure.  But a little nudge with another perspective from a stranger online may be helpful for when it's more important. 

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Yup brilliant.

It would help the negotiations more if J.B. is going to talk to Buffalo and Arizona tonight and tell the media that the conversations went really well.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So yeah some points, the video supports my opinion that Benning should have done this earlier. 

Also 5 years for Pettersson would suck 

At this point, even 5 years would be fine if it's around 8 mil. The league is changing so fast that, if the core you have isn't going to get it done, then you gotta do a quick retool and 5 years is more than enough time to assess the core's ability to get it done.

I remember watching Monahan and Gaudreau in 2015 playoffs thinking that these two dynamic duos along with Flames' defence will be a force to be reckoned with. Turned out, those two can't get it done in the playoffs and now Flames are in a retool mode.

EP and QH have impressed in their first playoff appearances but do we have Toewes (a complete player) and Kane (on defence) or Monahan and Gaudreau (on defence)? I think EP and QH are capable of delivering and that we have a complete player in EP and Hughes' ability to carry the puck and generate offence is similar to how Kane generates offence.

We got 3 players to re-up: Boeser in one year, Miller and Horvat in two years. Keeping QH and EP at or below 8 mil helps us set the upper limit for these 3 guys and maybe just enough space to re-sign them. Of course, Miller may become a trade bait to strengthen the defence or other parts of the line up.

We've got depth up front, we got the goalies, all we need is to assess what we got on defence, improve it if necessary, and we are ready to contend for the next 5 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, khay said:

At this point, even 5 years would be fine if it's around 8 mil. The league is changing so fast that, if the core you have isn't going to get it done, then you gotta do a quick retool and 5 years is more than enough time to assess the core's ability to get it done.

I remember watching Monahan and Gaudreau in 2015 playoffs thinking that these two dynamic duos along with Flames' defence will be a force to be reckoned with. Turned out, those two can't get it done in the playoffs and now Flames are in a retool mode.

EP and QH have impressed in their first playoff appearances but do we have Toewes (a complete player) and Kane (on defence) or Monahan and Gaudreau (on defence)? I think EP and QH are capable of delivering and that we have a complete player in EP and Hughes' ability to carry the puck and generate offence is similar to how Kane generates offence.

We got 3 players to re-up: Boeser in one year, Miller and Horvat in two years. Keeping QH and EP at or below 8 mil helps us set the upper limit for these 3 guys and maybe just enough space to re-sign them. Of course, Miller may become a trade bait to strengthen the defence or other parts of the line up.

We've got depth up front, we got the goalies, all we need is to assess what we got on defence, improve it if necessary, and we are ready to contend for the next 5 years.

Which is why I would rather them sign 3 year deals. I think by the time the deal is up we would know what kind of players they are plus (from my understanding) it doesn't burn a UFA year 

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Which is why I would rather them sign 3 year deals. I think by the time the deal is up we would know what kind of players they are plus (from my understanding) it doesn't burn a UFA year 

EP i'd 100% do 8 years on.    He's unique in a way that helps our team more.   QHs is unique too.   But for me at least, there is reasonable doubt he won't be much more then Barrie was/is. Sure he likely will exceed his point totals.   And maybe one day score double digit goals too on a consistent basis.   But the overall defensive play i'm not sure will improve enough to equal  the dollar amounts he will demand.    We have OEL, Rathbone, Myers and possibly even OJ who can play on the PP.    Any of those guys will add 20 points to their totals doing just that, year to year.   (First unit). 

Edited by IBatch

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta wonder if these two are getting advice from Keith.

Probably telling him they don’t need training camp. Didn’t that guy always come into camp overweight and out of shape?

Later in his career he sure did.  Was also a guy who held out and got massively overpaid compared to his peers.    At least that's how i thought at the time.   Part of the reason salary escalation got to the point the league had to shut down too.   He'd come in at 250 ... now i'm not sure he needs a special scale to weigh himself lol.   350?   His new talent, is trying to do the top button up of his shirt up.   His neck rolls over it.   I laughed when MT was drafted and saw Keith for the first time in a decade or so ... hilarious. 

Just now, FaninMex said:

That Mike Johnsson is an idiot. I hate guys that promote greed. He is cheering on the Thapuke family for going for every penny and saying that makes a team player because it shows loyalty to Ottawa for signing long term.

Yes i wasn't that impressed with that either.    Keith at least did it in an era with no cap.   And was actually part of the reason the cap came into existence as well.    Celebrating greed isn't something i'm too fond of either.   There are almost always consequences for it, that trickle down and hurt others - like fans with their hard earned money trying to go see a game once or twice a year or whatever. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes i wasn't that impressed with that either.    Keith at least did it in an era with no cap.   And was actually part of the reason the cap came into existence as well.    Celebrating greed isn't something i'm too fond of either.   There are almost always consequences for it, that trickle down and hurt others - like fans with their hard earned money trying to go see a game once or twice a year or whatever. 

There is no situation were greed has won the day.

Someone posted this before and I think I am on board. When the NHLPA and NHL meet together in a few years I think there may be a big lockout. If that happens, I will walk from hockey and will be off watching sports due to greed.  Here today gone tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

There is no situation were greed has won the day.

Someone posted this before and I think I am on board. When the NHLPA and NHL meet together in a few years I think there may be a big lockout. If that happens, I will walk from hockey and will be off watching sports due to greed.  Here today gone tomorrow.

I know one avid hockey fan/player that quit watching after the last lockout.  Was disgusted at the greed the players had at the time and still won't watch NHL hockey (only juniors, and even that took time, and was once a very promising player himself).   So understand that stance i salute him for it.   From where he's sitting, it's the best job in the entire world and would have done it for peanuts on the dollar compared to what guys were making back then.    Would make an interesting case study.   Didn't Messier get 6 x 3 from us and he was 36 at the time?  Others were making 10....so what would that mean in today's dollars?  Like 25?   Yes it would.   Things got freaky.   The league had to shut it down.   I doubt they will have another lockout so don't worry. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Maddogy said:

It would help the negotiations more if J.B. is going to talk to Buffalo and Arizona tonight and tell the media that the conversations went really well.

I agree....at this point the only update worth hearing is "done deal".  Beyond that....it's basically just more "we're still dragging it out and there's nothing to see here".  It no longer pacifies to hear "soon" because there's no way to measure that.

I'd EXPECT that they ARE in talks....if not, then that's an update in itself.  

It'll get done...but my concern is that Petey's missed a lot of time and this doesn't serve him well.  He needs to be with the team if he wants to help it be a winning one.  I'm not as concerned about Quinn....Petey's my main concern.  He can't sign soon enough for me.

I don't want his agent to be able to use losses as leverage to prove his point....even though we iced an AHL lineup, losses don't look good to a guy who wants to win.  But the flip side, for me, is that we NEED him here to increase our odds in that and I hope he wants to be a difference maker.  I feel that these guys fared pretty well, considering.

I hope he sees some of the exciting new talent that's coming up the ranks and wants to jump in quickly and be part of that.  Rather than to settle in to the "idea" of a winning team that overlooks the prospect of what this team could be.  For anyone who loves the game, how could you not want to join the likes of Hoglander, Pods and bro Brock?  Bo, Miller, Demko, etc. etc.?  I mean, his BFF Brock's showing some great things and Petey should really be chomping at the bit right now to join in.  So time to quit talking and pick up a pen....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1