The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats a good point. A 3 year deal guarantees him walking in 4.  5 is better. 6 is ideal but that doesn't seem like thats going be a thing.

i mean ideally you want to sign him to a max 8 year deal maybe at 8-9mil that'll guarantee him playing most if not all of his prime years in vancouver barring a trade request. heck i'd even go 9.5mil. sure cap is flat and is going up ever so slowly by 1mil each year.. but by the 5th/6th year when all the escrow are paid off. the cap will prolly be going up by 2-3mil a year again.. and at that point 9.5mil would be a steal as the top stars by then might be making easily 13-14mil or more

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

i mean ideally you want to sign him to a max 8 year deal maybe at 8-9mil that'll guarantee him playing most if not all of his prime years in vancouver barring a trade request. heck i'd even go 9.5mil. sure cap is flat and is going up ever so slowly by 1mil each year.. but by the 5th/6th year when all the escrow are paid off. the cap will prolly be going up by 2-3mil a year again.. and at that point 9.5mil would be a steal as the top stars by then might be making easily 13-14mil or more

I think we'd be looking at 11 mil for an 8 year deal, too big a risk for right now. If he was willing to do 9.5 I think that would have been done by now

I suspect it will end up at 5 years but we'll see what happens with Hamonic, that might free up some space too.

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

as big of a fan of EP as i am saying he should get his market's worth.. ya no to 11mil. he hasn't shown anything in terms of being an 11mil player. if he has an art ross/hart trophy under his name maybe i'll consider lol. but i'm at no more than 9.5mil.. as for hamonic.. regardless of what happens with him.. the cap there needs to be spend on a Dman that can play D.. otherwise the canucks are in big trouble if hamonic opts out.. that defense looks even worse than last year.

OEL is better than anybody we lost.  Problem is the quantity of players out (Schmidt, Edler and *maybe* Hamonic).  The "depth guys" aren't going to be able to replace that imho.  Guys like Schenn are #7 guys.  You don't want him anywhere near the top 4.  

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

OEL is better than anybody we lost.  Problem is the quantity of players out (Schmidt, Edler and *maybe* Hamonic).  The "depth guys" aren't going to be able to replace that imho.  Guys like Schenn are #7 guys.  You don't want him anywhere near the top 4.  

if OEL regains his form maybe.. otherwise i have to say Edler was better than OEL defensively as much as we rag over Edler about his defense and pucks bouncing off him and in the net. OEL have a far worse +/- than Edler despite his team gives up less goals than the Canucks and Edler plays mostly against others top line defensively. right now if Hamonic plays then i'll say we are prolly slightly better than last year defensively? but if he doesn't play we need to find a top 4 replacement that can play with hughes.. i don't think i want to see another Hughes/Myer combo.. or i guess maybe we can do a Hughes/Poolman combo.. like we had hughes with tanev.. but i'm not even sure if poolman is capable of that role

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

if OEL regains his form maybe.. otherwise i have to say Edler was better than OEL defensively as much as we rag over Edler about his defense and pucks bouncing off him and in the net. OEL have a far worse +/- than Edler despite his team gives up less goals than the Canucks and Edler plays mostly against others top line defensively. right now if Hamonic plays then i'll say we are prolly slightly better than last year defensively? but if he doesn't play we need to find a top 4 replacement that can play with hughes.. i don't think i want to see another Hughes/Myer combo.. or i guess maybe we can do a Hughes/Poolman combo.. like we had hughes with tanev.. but i'm not even sure if poolman is capable of that role

I think Poolman is a solid #5 depth guy that can handle top 4 minutes for a short periods of time (injuries).  Likely be asking for something beyond his abilities expecting him to handle greater responsiblities than that.  He's 28 years old so it's likely he is what he is.  Not like say Hughes, who still has a ton of upside.

28 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think Poolman is a solid #5 depth guy that can handle top 4 minutes for a short periods of time (injuries).  Likely be asking for something beyond his abilities expecting him to handle greater responsiblities than that.  He's 28 years old so it's likely he is what he is.  Not like say Hughes, who still has a ton of upside.

I think we need to wait and see what Shaw can do with the overall team structure. If the F's can contribute more to the defensive side that will take a lot of pressure off guys like Schenn and Poolman. Last night was too much of an AHL showcase to know yet.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Wonder if the agent hasn’t been looking at Hamonic’s 3M and telling Benning he has 3M more to pay his clients. 

If he opts out rather than retire they will need those 3M for next season as he’ll still be under contract.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

if hamonic doesn't play maybe we can bring back the eagle for a cheap season?

Won’t be cheap to get him out of LA.  They are looking to compete this season and they are in the same division - Vancouver being weaker on D helps them.

21 minutes ago, mll said:

If he opts out rather than retire they will need those 3M for next season as he’ll still be under contract.  

How could this not have been a conversation before we signed him to a multi year contract…

Benning seems to have been taken off guard guaranteeing that Hamonic would be here for the start of camp and then getting pissed off when asked why that didn’t happen.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

What a mess this has become, missing the start of training camp is bigger than people think, especially for Hughes and Petey. Pettersson looked pretty sluggish when coming into the season previously after injuries, I think these guys need a proper workout and they need to really work on their defensive and team-based skills in training. Green was right to go on record and say that it's a big loss not having them both around.

What started as a brilliant off-season is turning into a nightmare with Hamonic possibly not playing and Petey and Hughes not signed yet. Even if they sign now and get to training camp ASAP, they'll be a bit off our team play, but I don't see it happening any time soon. If they miss regular season games then this is just a massive fail by everyone. I don't think JB is only to blame, he's done the harder work of moving cap to fit them in, but you just know JP Barry is holding out on them to put the pressure on. He doesn't care if the Canucks win or lose, or even how his players perform, he's just trying to get them more money and you bet this holding-out period will put pressure on JB and be working because it makes our team worse every day.

Starting the season without Pettersson, Hughes and Hamonic will be rough for sure but may give someone like Juolevi a real chance to steal some big minutes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What a mess this has become, missing the start of training camp is bigger than people think, especially for Hughes and Petey. Pettersson looked pretty sluggish when coming into the season previously after injuries, I think these guys need a proper workout and they need to really work on their defensive and team-based skills in training. Green was right to go on record and say that it's a big loss not having them both around.

What started as a brilliant off-season is turning into a nightmare with Hamonic possibly not playing and Petey and Hughes not signed yet. Even if they sign now and get to training camp ASAP, they'll be a bit off our team play, but I don't see it happening any time soon. If they miss regular season games then this is just a massive fail by everyone. I don't think JB is only to blame, he's done the harder work of moving cap to fit them in, but you just know JP Barry is holding out on them to put the pressure on. He doesn't care if the Canucks win or lose, or even how his players perform, he's just trying to get them more money and you bet this holding-out period will put pressure on JB and be working because it makes our team worse every day.

Starting the season without Pettersson, Hughes and Hamonic will be rough for sure but may give someone like Juolevi a real chance to steal some big minutes.

i agree, starting the season without these guys is only going to hurt them. our team is fine without them,