The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

1 minute ago, -Moose said:

I suspect there won't be an update till next week now; Hamonic needs to decide what he's doing. There may be a bit more money available than originally thought 

Problem is that there may be more money available, but the solution isn't to hand it over to Petey and Quinn. If we did, then that just means one less depth option we could be adding by overpaying them and it can only hurt more if they don't live up to the contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Problem is that there may be more money available, but the solution isn't to hand it over to Petey and Quinn. If we did, then that just means one less depth option we could be adding by overpaying them and it can only hurt more if they don't live up to the contract.

We can't say we're overpaying them until we see what the contracts are. I don't think we'll be getting a Top 4 RHD before the season starts and a depth piece should only cost ~1m. That extra 2 million could be the difference between a bridge and long term for one, or both, of EP and QH

2 minutes ago, -Moose said:

We can't say we're overpaying them until we see what the contracts are. I don't think we'll be getting a Top 4 RHD before the season starts and a depth piece should only cost ~1m. That extra 2 million could be the difference between a bridge and long term for one, or both, of EP and QH

But we need to look beyond this season as well. Are either player worth that extra million tacked on? But yes we won't know until the final numbers come out, but I wouldn't be handing them back leverage just because we have some cap freed up. I rather keep the money free to try and find a replacement (through trade or waivers) for Hamonic because our defense looked way better with him on the defense. The point is our team looks better by having Hamonic along with Petey and Hughes, but by giving them the extra money, then it actually hurts the team more.

I hope we can bridge Quinn and see how Rathbone progresses and if Quinn can improve his defensive game. I rather long term Petey, but I understand him wanting a bridge as well and I'm fine with that as long as it's a Barzal type bridge.

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm going to disagree since then you are potentially missing out on the skill that could be in replace of that 2mil cap. I'd rather spend to the cap and have the team at full potential.

I'd rather players take a small sacrifice so overall the team can be better.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Kinda curious, as a fan would you be prepared to start the season without Petey and Huggy if it meant getting a better deal? Or are you dead set on must have them there for the first day of the season at all costs?

Part of me is already prepared to look at lines that don't feature Petey and Huggy for a while.

Let them sit for a while, these are you very important contracts that will set the tone for the next 10 years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think an issue that we haven't really discussed is the general perception of GMJB vs EP and Quinn. This forum is a bit of an anomaly, but outside of this board it needs to be noted that GMJB is deeply unpopular with a big chunk of the fanbase right now. Whether it's justified is up for debate, and is honestly irrelevant to the discussion. It's simply a fact, and because of that the pressure from the fans is largely on Benning moreso than Quinn and Petey. A lot of the narratives I've seen outside of CDC have been along the lines of "Benning should have gotten them signed earlier" or "Benning didn't leave us enough space to get them signed", rather than "EP and QH are holding the team ransom for more money".

It's counterproductive for the fans to put the pressure on the GM during contract negotiations instead of the players, but that's what's happening. JP Barry knows this, and is using it to his advantage. 

Granite-support from the Aquas can negate that HS hallway-BS!

Hamonic has to let the team know his plans by Friday.  Not likely that QH or EP sign anything until that decision comes down as it will have an effect on available cap room. Team doesn't play until Friday as well.  So probably gonna stay pretty quiet next couple of days..

• Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think an issue that we haven't really discussed is the general perception of GMJB vs EP and Quinn. This forum is a bit of an anomaly, but outside of this board it needs to be noted that GMJB is deeply unpopular with a big chunk of the fanbase right now. Whether it's justified is up for debate, and is honestly irrelevant to the discussion. It's simply a fact, and because of that the pressure from the fans is largely on Benning moreso than Quinn and Petey. A lot of the narratives I've seen outside of CDC have been along the lines of "Benning should have gotten them signed earlier" or "Benning didn't leave us enough space to get them signed", rather than "EP and QH are holding the team ransom for more money".

It's counterproductive for the fans to put the pressure on the GM during contract negotiations instead of the players, but that's what's happening. JP Barry knows this, and is using it to his advantage. 

Is Canucks twitter or facebook really the space to make those assumptions though? Other than those spaces, media is the only other narrative. I agree it has been weaponized by the agents. Those same fans would blame benning for over paying them.. which is the irony of it all.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Looking more like a Nylander situation. Contract will be signed in December 

I was just wondering if they still have that DEC 1st drop dead date in the current CBA...and are both players under the same paragraph of rule since they sre slightly different RFA's?

Travis Hamonic situation! Do you think the Canucks are waiting on him by friday to see if he plays because of covid vaccine? So they can save additional 3mill in cap hit. So we can sign pettersson and Hughes on long term contracts.? Would that make our 16m cap space to 19 mill instead? Maybe al blessing in disguise?