The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

15 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

There have been some mentions here and there about Benning wanting to have room with the cap after signing them, so it's likely that he's playing hardball to get them signed to a  very reasonable deal (aka lower than expected) and not the players being greedy. 

they should be able to split 14M fairly between the pair on bridges and leave 2 M for cap flexibility 

Conspiracy?

The Hughes and Tkachuk families are going after big money for Brady and Quinn, heavy demands, and well, they invited Petey along for the ride. "C'mon Petey, lots for you too!"  Keith acting like a fatter Tony f'n Soprano, turning the screws on the NHL.

11 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Ok after some thought about your cryptic post. I really do believe that it has little to do with the players or the cap space. That it’s more about expanding the salaries of all the clients in the agents stable. Make it JP Barry’s calling card: I screw your team but I get my clients results. That’s the only way I see it dragging this long.  Am I warm Petey?

29D1176D-123D-44B0-8DDB-C52417CFE53F.gif

And Benning should turn Barry's calling card into: I screw my clients by making unreasonable demands that get them traded to Buffalo.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, stawns said:

It may be the "new age", but the teams that go that route simply are not successful and I cheer for the team, not for players.  You don't win with the team on the shoulders of a couple of players barely out of their teens.  

And how have Nuge and Coutieriers teams done?  All I hear from Canucks fans is what morin's the Oulers are for paying RNH that $, and he's a better comparable than many here would care to admit

This is insanity. RNH is a career .74 ppg player   Petey is clipping along at point 93. 

How in the world Is that a good comparable????

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Sure but Buffalo won't trade u eichel for 4 years of EP or hughes that they 100% won't be able to keep past his ufa. They prolly rather take a bunch of picks/prospect especially when they are rebuilding around power and dahlin

Buffalo would trade Eichel now, in a heart beat for 4 years of E.P.

Buffalo would NOT trade a healthy Eichel for 4 years of Elias.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JP Barry and Pat Brisson would love to be able to be in this exact situation and do this all over again. That can only happen if the 2 contracts are tied together like they are now.  

The agents are pushing for the same term for both deals to maximize the leverage the next time the deals expire. Benning is trying to avoid this at all costs. In order to avoid this situation again Benning is going to have to pony up. 

My sources are telling me this is the main sticking point in the negotiations. We will see if they get different terms or not. My hunch is they won’t. 

Your sources?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Ok after some thought about your cryptic post. I really do believe that it has little to do with the players or the cap space. That it’s more about expanding the salaries of all the clients in the agents stable. Make it JP Barry’s calling card: I screw your team but I get my clients results. That’s the only way I see it dragging this long.  Am I warm Petey?

29D1176D-123D-44B0-8DDB-C52417CFE53F.gif

You are definitely warm.  :)

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JP Barry and Pat Brisson would love to be able to be in this exact situation and do this all over again. That can only happen if the 2 contracts are tied together like they are now.  

The agents are pushing for the same term for both deals to maximize the leverage the next time the deals expire. Benning is trying to avoid this at all costs. In order to avoid this situation again Benning is going to have to pony up. 

My sources are telling me this is the main sticking point in the negotiations. We will see if they get different terms or not. My hunch is they won’t. 

The voices in your head, are NOT considered valid or reliable sources by at least 51.5% of the people on this board....

Or, at least, that's what my Sources tell me....

;)

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Buffalo would trade Eichel now, in a heart beat for 4 years of E.P.

Buffalo would NOT trade a healthy Eichel for 4 years of Elias.

Lol Buffalo would not trade for 4 years of ep in a heartbeat. They are in a full rebuild mode what would ep do for them? If they can convince ep to stay for the future ya sure. Chances of that 0. They are in full rebuild mode. They can easily get 2 1st + for eichel if and when they decide to let him do his surgery. They would not be able to get as much for EP when hes about to hit ufa

Also the opposite you trade EP for a 10mil anchor that haven't even started his surgery and no guarantee he'll ever regain health form again?

Edited by wai_lai416

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh man, if it’s true that the agents are pushing hard for the same term and hurting the team because of it I’d be even more disappointed in 40/43 for letting this drag on and on. 

I’m so done with this

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

This is insanity. RNH is a career .74 ppg player   Petey is clipping along at point 93. 

How in the world Is that a good comparable????

Petey went 66 in 71 games and 66 in 68 games in his first two years

RNH went 52 in 62 games, 24 in 40 games and 56 in 80 in his first three years.  

It's not as far fetched as you think.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 5