The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

43 minutes ago, bree2 said:

On twitter they are saying both boys are headed back to Vancouver today, maybe  that is a good sign!!

Haha you mean this??

(Sorry, I don’t know how to embed tweets. Someone tell me…) 

In any case THIS is not a valid source. Unfortunately 

98B7ABA8-1409-4586-A080-072174426A5A.jpeg

Edited by TFerguson
I can never figure out how to embed tweets
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, TFerguson said:

Haha you mean this??

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing reports that the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Canucks?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Canucks</a> Elias Petterson and Quinn Hughes are en route back to Vancouver</p>&mdash; Rob Fulthorpe (@fulpackage) <a href="https://twitter.com/fulpackage/status/1443198237691695107?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Season 1 Cant Unsee GIF by Friends

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, stawns said:

You stand your ground and hope they realize they have very little leversge beyond screwing your team over.  If one comes around and the other doesn't, you explore a trade for that one.  

What they do with these two contracts will determine if they have an actual chance to be a contending team or not.  Both are good players who could be great players, but they're not guys who can carry a team to the promised land on their own.  

Definitely agree here. Though in hockey no one can carry a team to the promised land on their own. Pettersson showed well enough in the playoffs that he can be a 1C on a winner IMO.

Would bridge's for both be your preference?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Petey went 66 in 71 games and 66 in 68 games in his first two years

RNH went 52 in 62 games, 24 in 40 games and 56 in 80 in his first three years.  

It's not as far fetched as you think.  

I would not call the same amount of points in 50 fewer games a good comparable.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Definitely agree here. Though in hockey no one can carry a team to the promised land on their own. Pettersson showed well enough in the playoffs that he can be a 1C on a winner IMO.

Would bridge's for both be your preference?

I'd say that Petey wasn't even a C, he far more often the winger on his line with Miller in the middle.  I don't see that changing anytime soon.

A modest show me bridge deal, similar to Boeser is my preference

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

In my mind Peterly and Hughes already equate to multiple first round picks. I am so done with them, and especially their agents. Those two are cancer to the league and GMs should band together and refuse to sign with any players represented by those two moving forward. 

/rant 

K rant is over dramatic but need to let off steam. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Petey went 66 in 71 games and 66 in 68 games in his first two years

RNH went 52 in 62 games, 24 in 40 games and 56 in 80 in his first three years.  

It's not as far fetched as you think.  

So you'd trade EP for RNH straight upp or with a slight add? I know I wouldn't and they're not even in the same tier as players IMO.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

why?  It's in the ballpark and certainly a standard to compare by.

He was at .73 ppg after his three seasons (what a familiar number). Petey is at .93 after three seasons. 

If that is ‘in the ballpark’ than you need to readjust the size of your field. They’re not close. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is a reason it is taking so long to sign the boys.

Interesting that nobody has figured it out yet. 

I think the domino is Hamonic.

Everyone seems to be positive & understanding of what the options are currently.

Once Hamonic is resolved I think they'll see if the options change to something else they'd prefer, or just come together on the bridge options they've worked through to this point.

If its still a stalemate after that then there's reason for concern. For now its just wait and see imo.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think the domino is Hamonic.

Everyone seems to be positive & understanding of what the options are currently.

Once Hamonic is resolved I think they'll see if the options change to something else they'd prefer, or just come together on the bridge options they've worked through to this point.

If its still a stalemate after that then there's reason for concern. For now its just wait and see imo.

Why?  

They probably need to replace Hamonic if they don’t have Hamonic.  Our right D side was already really suspect and taking away a top 4 guy is really problematic.  We can’t just spend that money.

Poolman - Mostly a 3rd pairing D for his entire (short career) with only a short stint in the top 4

Myers - a high end 3rd pairing guy or low end #4 who struggles when asked to do too much and play higher in the lineup.  We got a good year out of him but last year was much like his whole career and showed how you can’t rely on him nearly that much.

Schenn - solid veteran depth guy or serviceable 3rd pairing D

Unless you mean that if Hamonic retires we will need to trade one of our young guys for a package that includes a top 4RD.

Edited by Provost

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Why?  

They probably need to replace Hamonic if they don’t have Hamonic.  Our right D side was already really suspect and taking away a top 4 guy is really problematic.  We can’t just spend that money.

Poolman - Mostly a 3rd pairing D for his entire (short career) with only a short stint in the top 4

Myers - a high end 3rd pairing guy or low end #4 who struggles when asked to do too much and play higher in the lineup.  We got a good year out of him but last year was much like his whole career and showed how you can’t rely on him nearly that much.

Unless you mean that if Hamonic retires we will need to trade one of our young guys for a package that includes a top 4RD.

best case scenario if TH wants out is to package TH and a guy like Mac for rhd who can play a 5/6 role and pk.  I don't feel they have a rhd in their pipeline who can fill a regular spot, but TH is a solid piece, but they'd have to add a sweetener like Mac as they'd be dealing from a place of weakness.  

The cap would be the biggest issue, however

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Why?  

Who's out there that's going to replace Hamonic? Jason Demers seems like the only UFA name & he won't cost 3 Million. Are you going to spend assets, who available for trade?

The thought has been both Pettersson & Hughes would prefer longer term. I'm not sure if an extra 3 million does that, but maybe it atleast gets one of them long term, and that's what they are hoping for.

Considering it been cordial & there's stated understanding of what different terms look like; Im thinking they'll see if Hamonic not returning presents any other options, then come to a deal. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

30 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I would not call the same amount of points in 50 fewer games a good comparable.

RNH is much closer to a comparable for Horvat than for Pettersson. 60 point, 2nd line + 1st unit PP, all situations type player. If we could land Horvat at 5.25 x 8 years, I'd be over the moon.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I would prefer bridges on both players, not to save $$,  but to prove that one is not going to be injury prone, and the other can handle the heavy load defensively when he needs to.

They are highly talented and 1st rounds steals, but have to address these concerns before they deserve the keys to the vault.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

RNH is much closer to a comparable for Horvat than for Pettersson. 60 point, 2nd line + 1st unit PP, all situations type player. If we could land Horvat at 5.25 x 8 years, I'd be over the moon.

the Nuge is 'lil. No one would take him over Bo.

The Barzal comp with Petey seems to me to be the most accurate. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

best case scenario if TH wants out is to package TH and a guy like Mac for rhd who can play a 5/6 role and pk.  I don't feel they have a rhd in their pipeline who can fill a regular spot, but TH is a solid piece, but they'd have to add a sweetener like Mac as they'd be dealing from a place of weakness.  

The cap would be the biggest issue, however

We will have to see, but nothing I have heard so far suggests that he just wants out of Vancouver specifically.  He will have most of the same issues playing anywhere even in the US.