The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Who's out there that's going to replace Hamonic? Jason Demers seems like the only UFA name & he won't cost 3 Million. Are you going to spend assets, who available for trade?

The thought has been both Pettersson & Hughes would prefer longer term. I'm not sure if an extra 3 million does that, but maybe it atleast gets one of them long term, and that's what they are hoping for.

Considering it been cordial & there's stated understanding of what different terms look like; Im thinking they'll see if Hamonic not returning presents any other options, then come to a deal. 

If (big if), Hamonic does indeed want to play in the US, then a package of TH and Mc would be the best way to find a replacement.  It'd be hard to fina team to do a lateral, rhd for rhd deal, but throwing in a player like Mac might do the trick.

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

We will have to see, but nothing I have heard so far suggests that he just wants out of Vancouver specifically.  He will have most of the same issues playing anywhere even in the US.

Agreed.  To me it sounds like play in Van or opt out is what he's considering

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

If (big if), Hamonic does indeed want to play in the US, then a package of TH and Mc would be the best way to find a replacement.  It'd be hard to fina team to do a lateral, rhd for rhd deal, but throwing in a player like Mac might do the trick.

Maybe but I feel like Mac is the kind of dime a dozen player alot of teams have.

Hard to see a TH trade at this stage, but I guess we'll see. It'll be interesting to see whats available on the waiver wire.

All that said I still think best case is Hamonic coming back to play. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Maybe but I feel like Mac is the kind of dime a dozen player alot of teams have.

Hard to see a TH trade at this stage, but I guess we'll see. It'll be interesting to see whats available on the waiver wire.

All that said I still think best case is Hamonic coming back to play. 

agree on Mac, but they can't afford to part with a better player, imo

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

What mentions?  We would be in LTIR so won’t have any room under the cap regardless after signing them.

Some pundits, such as Friedman, have made comments about Benning wanting to have some cap space after signing them within our 14ish million of room. 

2 hours ago, bbllpp said:

they should be able to split 14M fairly between the pair on bridges and leave 2 M for cap flexibility 

Yes, but as above, it sounds to me like Benning is trying to leave some space. If Hamonic is traded or retires, I'd like to see Benning lock P&H longer term and then find a Hamonic replacement once we get the cap relief from injuries after the season starts. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stawns said:

You stand your ground and hope they realize they have very little leversge beyond screwing your team over.  If one comes around and the other doesn't, you explore a trade for that one.  

What they do with these two contracts will determine if they have an actual chance to be a contending team or not.  Both are good players who could be great players, but they're not guys who can carry a team to the promised land on their own.  

Agreed. Once you start acting like you are bigger than the team, it can only lead to problems. 

Luckily we have no idea what's actually holding up the negotiations. 

I truly hope they aren't trying to get more money at the cost of losing some of their teammates... 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Petey went 66 in 71 games and 66 in 68 games in his first two years

RNH went 52 in 62 games, 24 in 40 games and 56 in 80 in his first three years.  

It's not as far fetched as you think.  

Okkkk

I'm upset about the signing taking too long but really? Petey compared to RNH? 

You sound like a jilted ex... 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TFerguson said:

Haha you mean this??

(Sorry, I don’t know how to embed tweets. Someone tell me…) 

In any case THIS is not a valid source. Unfortunately 

98B7ABA8-1409-4586-A080-072174426A5A.jpeg

Just paste the URL of the tweet and it will embed automatically - looks something like this: https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1443284293430644

Either by clicking on the tweet and it should show in the search bar or under the share sign at the bottom of the tweet there's a "copy link to tweet".

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Agreed. Once you start acting like you are bigger than the team, it can only lead to problems. 

Luckily we have no idea what's actually holding up the negotiations. 

I truly hope they aren't trying to get more money at the cost of losing some of their teammates... 

They are indeed very complicated contracts to negotiate. Millions of dollars.

One agent for both players.

Probably gonna be a 1-2 signing. Probably sign at the same time…

I think some fans have the wrong deception of Petey and Hughes. Petey for sure. I remember him saying he’d go pick-up Boeser himself a couple years ago. This is mostly the agent why they are sitting out. Hopefully they just say screw it and sign the papers 

Edited by Devron44
Spelling
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Just sign already ......

Cant wait to see OEL & Hughes on the same PP.

With a mix of Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, maybe even Podkolzin, may be the best PP in the league…

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Not close"

"Just get it done"

Seems close, if they can just get it done.

conversely doesn't seem they can "just get it done" if they are not close.

Does Irfaan get paid by the tweet?

Edited by gurn