The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

1 hour ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I think Hughes is better than Heiskanen but not as good as Makar. Unfortunately Heiskanen makes 8.4 million/season and Makar makes 9. 

I think Hughes will shake out at 8-8.5. hopefully over 6-8 years. 

I think Pettersson will be 10-12/year on a 6-8 as well. As he’s a top 50 player in this league and the only guys making less than 8 seem to be guys around 30 that are moving out of their prime. 

Heiskanen is a stud two way defender that plays in all situations

While Hughes , doesn't play on the pk....

Hughes offense is the best, defense not the best

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, klw604 said:

Heiskanen is a stud two way defender that plays in all situations

While Hughes , doesn't play on the pk....

Hughes offense is the best, defense not the best

That’s True. Looking through all NHL D contracts, there’s a whole plethora of unimpressive D-men making 5.5-6.5/season. I bet Hughes gets at least 6.5. The thing that worries me is having Brisson and Barry as his agents(same as Pettersson). Both are known to be real sharks. 

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

come on Jimbo, get these guys signed and put the cherry on top of your best off-season to date!

Horvat signed his September 8th.  Boeser his on September 17.

Lots of time yet

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is not even close to being accurate.

Quinn Hughes is statistically one of the worst 5 on 5 defenders in the NHL at this point. He has a long way to go to be in the Norris conversation or to be considered a comparable to Makar.

Krug is better defensively than Hughes. Not great but not a black hole.

Hughes has not yet learned how to create offense without sacrificing defensive play. He also has not learned how to control a game defensively using his skating, passing, and shiftiness. The hope is that he does start to do these things and he certainly has the potential to.

But to say he is already there is just not accurate. 

Well said and good on you for reminding the Quinn Fan club about the reality that he is one of the worst defecemen in the entire league,   Number #3 (worst) +/- rating (at a staggering Minus -24) out of three hundred and sixteen defencemen in the entire National Hockey Leauge and Number#7 worst +/- rating out of all Nine Hundred and thirteen palyers in the league.   Mind numbing!!!

Nothing to write home to mom about...............!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Well said and good on you for reminding the Quinn Fan club about the reality that he is one of the worst defecemen in the entire league,   Number #3 (worst) +/- rating (at a staggering Minus -24) out of three hundred and sixteen defencemen in the entire National Hockey Leauge and Number#7 worst +/- rating out of all Nine Hundred and thirteen palyers in the league.   Mind numbing!!!

Sarcasm right?

8 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

He played 50% of his ice time with Hamonic and was -1 in that time on an awful team. That is pretty good. 
He played under 20% of his ice time with Tyler Myers and was -14 in that time.  That is awful. 
While he definitely had his struggles it may have had more to do with extrinsic factors. 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I would like to see EP and Hughes signed asap. 

6.5 mil for 3 years is a fair contract for Hughes considering his defensive shortcomings.

7.5 mil for 3 years is a fair contract for EP considering his trajectory.

I dont want to see an offer sheet for EP. Bergevin in Mon has really $&!# the bed this offseason. I coukd see him doing something stupid.

I don’t see Bergevin offer sheeting anybody with only $23,630 in cap space as well as still needing to sign Kotkaniemi and Lehkonen. The number of teams with cap space and that would be attractive are dwindling.

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Petey aint and wouldnt sign any sorta offer sheet imo. Hes not a douchebag. 

Signing an offer sheet doesnt make a player a douchebag. Not sure why people say that. 

If a UFA signs with a different team does that make them a douchebag? Because its essentially the same mechanism for an RFA with compensation attached for the original team. 

If Benning lowballs EP why wouldnt he consider an offer sheet? Or if he just wants a contract done and not have it drag on, whats wrong with forcing the team to match an offer sheet?

Edited by wallstreetamigo

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Signing an offer sheet doesnt make a player a douchebag. Not sure why people say that. 

If a UFA signs with a different team does that make them a douchebag? Because its essentially the same mechanism for an RFA with compensation attached for the original team. 

If Benning lowballs EP why wouldnt he consider an offer sheet? Or if he just wants a contract done and not have it drag on, whats wrong with forcing the team to match an offer sheet?

I doubt very much jim is low balling petey. Petey has no reason to want to leave and not listen to jim on his vision of the canucks.

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I doubt very much jim is low balling petey. Petey has no reason to want to leave and not listen to jim on his vision of the canucks.

The reality is no one knows what Benning is or isnt doing or if Petey has any reasons to want to leave. 

The only thing we do know is for some readon this contract is not done yet. Coukd be Benning trying to cheap out, could be EP and his agent waiting for the leverage the threat of an offer sheet gets them.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I agree it doesn’t make him a douchebag but I also doubt that he would sign one. If Benning offered him 3 x 8 or 8 x  9  and Petey’s agent was holding out for 3 x 9 or 8 x 10.3 would that mean JB was lowballing him? If EP waits too long and forces JB to sign Dickinson, Hughes  and Juolevi first just to gain leverage then I definitely wouldn’t match and let him walk. Not that I think for a moment that EP would do that but if so don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I have no interest in a player that puts every last dollar for himself before the interest of the team. But to reiterate, that doesn’t seem like Petey to me and I’m not the least bit concerned that the signing hasn’t happened yet.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

I agree it doesn’t make him a douchebag but I also doubt that he would sign one. If Benning offered him 3 x 8 or 8 x  9  and Petey’s agent was holding out for 3 x 9 or 8 x 10.3 would that mean JB was lowballing him? If EP waits too long and forces JB to sign Dickinson, Hughes  and Juolevi first just to gain leverage then I definitely wouldn’t match and let him walk. Not that I think for a moment that EP would do that but if so don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I have no interest in a player that puts every last dollar for himself before the interest of the team. But to reiterate, that doesn’t seem like Petey to me and I’m not the least bit concerned that the signing hasn’t happened yet.

Like I said, no one knows what the holdup is. The risk of an offer sheet is real though. Who knows if EP would sign one or not. But its definitely added leverage for his agent to let Benning think he might.

I dont blame the player or the agent at all.

EP and Hughes should have been done before anything else. Why tempt fate if you dont have to?

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Like I said, no one knows what the holdup is. The risk of an offer sheet is real though. Who knows if EP would sign one or not. But its definitely added leverage for his agent to let Benning think he might.

EP and Hughes should have been done before anything else. Why tempt fate if you dont have to?

Real lol name the teams that can realistically offer sheet petey. I will wait

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Well if you want EP to be paid max term and max dollars I’m sure it could have been done first easily. If you think he should be paid well but reasonably you carry on with the rest of the work that needs doing while negotiating. I don’t blame the player, the agent or JB at all. That’s what negotiations are all about. Assigning credit or blame to either of the three is for later. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Anaheim, Seattle, Nashville, Columbus, New Jersey, Rangers, Buffalo, Detroit, or  Ottawa are the teams with cap space to make an offer sheet. So ask yourself which ones would be inviting to EP? Which ones have the potential for those 4 first rounders to be very high? I’d take the 4 1sts from most of those teams if push came to shove.

• Cheers 1