The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

2 hours ago, Sean83 said:

No. Barry was all but begging for an offer sheet today, mentioning August as the time he expects one.  I'm shocked, but, reading the tea leaves from Barry this morning, it's pretty clear that Petterson and Hughes have both played their last games in Vancouver.  We simply can't afford to pay them due to the cap hit they want.  Remember also, that EP40 has deleted all references to the Canucks from all social media taglines.  A clear message if there ever was one.  I like the idea of trading for Eichel.  Not sure exactly how that would work but it's clear we need plan B.  Also, remember the heartbreak from Hughes on draft night, it's clear he wants to be in NJ with his brothers.

Pettersona and the 3 Hughes brothers would instantly make the Devils Stanley Cup favourites.  I suspect that is what Barry is angling for.  Getting Quinn and Elias both an offer sheet from NJD.

If after all this time you still have no clue that Hughes is not eligible for an offer sheet, your opinion is not worth listening to…

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Sean83 said:

No. Barry was all but begging for an offer sheet today, mentioning August as the time he expects one.  I'm shocked, but, reading the tea leaves from Barry this morning, it's pretty clear that Petterson and Hughes have both played their last games in Vancouver.  We simply can't afford to pay them due to the cap hit they want.  Remember also, that EP40 has deleted all references to the Canucks from all social media taglines.  A clear message if there ever was one.  I like the idea of trading for Eichel.  Not sure exactly how that would work but it's clear we need plan B.  Also, remember the heartbreak from Hughes on draft night, it's clear he wants to be in NJ with his brothers.

Pettersona and the 3 Hughes brothers would instantly make the Devils Stanley Cup favourites.  I suspect that is what Barry is angling for.  Getting Quinn and Elias both an offer sheet from NJD.

18 posts and this new member has already gotten the hang of things around here.  Welcome to the cdc.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

JP Bary is waiting for an offer sheet. 

Where did you hear it? I specifically listened to his interview. The one who was angling for the offer sheet was the idiot Dhaliwal. Barry was actually pretty clear that the chances are low since the offering team has to be sure that Canucks won't match. With Benning being pretty clear that we will match any offer sheet, I don't think there will be one. Add to it the fact that now Barry's star children Sedin brothers are involved in the team management, I highly doubt that Barry will try to screw us over. Just stop imagining things.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

McDavid earns his paycheque.  BB plus Horvat plus a little ... 110-120 points.  Personally i'd much rather have Miller and Horvat over McDavid.   And that's saying a lot.   Just the cap though.    Jimmy must say i think the GMs have gone a little mad with some of these deals (ok actually a lot of these deals) considering there is flat cap for the duration of the CBA - even if it's only three years it's just wow.    What the heck are they thinking?   I don't mind if JB sticks to his guns and waits until training camp and stresses us all out until then if it means another Horvat or BB deal (both deemed fair at the time with the cap going up).    Really EP has done just a little more then BB did before his deal, and he's a LW/C so gets a little boost on top for that,  with flat cap his first two years are the same as BB last two under that metric, and his was done with the cap supposedly going up...6.5 x 3 is actually pretty fair.   QHs...don't care that Seth Jones and Werenski singed whatever they did, it doesn't equate they bought UFA years and took smaller deals when RFAs.   So should QHs.   He's no Makar (and for all the Sakic love he's sure got some Dubas in him too with both Makar and Rantanen deals) and he's no Heiskanen either.    He's a small premier PMD, just like Ghost was same as McAvoy (who's bigger of course).    5.5 x 3 seems about right.   So i'm guessing 8 x3 and 7 x 4.   Because this market is totally whack right now.  

what are GMs thinking? not quite sure, I think it has a lot to do with things opening up again and wanting bums in seats. I think they realize that they can really squeeze out the middle guys, the ones that used to make 3 mil but now make 1.5. 

2 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Theres really a poster in here saying he would rather Horvat/Miller over McDavid.

200w.gif

I guess you haven't noticed the effect on the cap, or how he's been shut down by several teams in the playoffs. 

He's a phenomenal scoring winger, no doubt. But he's no Crosby. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess you haven't noticed the effect on the cap, or how he's been shut down by several teams in the playoffs. 

I'm not even going to debate this absolute nonsense...lmfao.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

whats he accomplished in the playoffs? whats he done compared to Crosby? 

Look at the team he plays for. Look at how its run. The Oilers are run by absolute morons. Their big splash this offseason was trading for Keith who is all but done, and cody ceci....  

What has Miller and Horvat accomplished in the playoffs?  I'm not debating Crosby vs McDavid. I was laughing at the ridiculous statement of not trading Miller/Horvat for the best player in the league. A once in a lifetime talent.

Edited by CanuckGAME

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

Look at the team he plays for. Look at how its run. The Oilers are run by absolute morons. Their big splash this offseason was trading for Keith who is all but done, and cody ceci....  

What has Miller and Horvat accomplished in the playoffs?  I'm not debating Crosby vs McDavid. I was laughing at the ridiculous statement of not trading Miller/Horvat for the best player in the league.

ah. 

McDavid might be one of the best scorers ever, I just don't see him as complete a centre like Crosby who in his prime was as better playmaker and a more physical player. Going back a bit, I'd take Forsberg over anyone tho, that guy was unreal all around. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

whats he accomplished in the playoffs? whats he done compared to Crosby? 

That is a surprisingly accurate take. I'd never really delved too much in to it until this evening, but McDavid has never won a League Championship in CHL or higher, and has never won anything except for individual awards unless surrounded by elite support on the international stage. I'm honestly beginning to wonder if he is the type of person that can straight up carry a team to a Championship. 

Sure he can lead a team in points in the regular season and in round robin play but it seems as though he can't carry a team, and singlehandedly drag them through a playoff round. 

I understand that teams need a mix of skill and depth to the lineup but it's honestly surprising that he has never won a League Title at any level. At this point in his career Crosby had been to the Finals twice and won once. Obviously the team makeups were very different but it honestly makes me wonder more than I ever have before if McDavid is the player to build a franchise around.

Obviously he is probably the most highly skilled player in the league and that alone should make it a total lock for him to be a franchise cornerstone. But I wonder if maybe he has spent so long coasting on natural skill that when the game intensity ramps up and time and space really close in that he just doesn't understand how to adjust.

I mean it is something he should have ample opportunity to learn as the Oilers do look to be at the very least a perennial playoff team. But I wonder if he will ever learn how to be a true leader and a heart and soul type of player a la Crosby or Toews or even someone like Kesler. On our team, after the bubble, I see two players of that caliber on our team in Horvat and Pettersson. They will never have the same level of skill as McDavid  but they have both shown that they will do whatever it takes to win. They both showed that in the bubble and Pettersson showed he can drag a team all the way to a League Title in the SHL. 

Anyway, that's my semi-surprised research rant of the day. Thanks for reading my rambling brain droppings.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

It's ridicules some of the takes here. If there was even a smidgen of Petey or Quinn wanting out it would have been out there already and Bennng wouldn't have cleared cap to protect from a Petey offetsheet considering only a contract with 4 firsts attached from a team like the Habs would be the most likely scenario. If Petey wanted out and you could get 4 firsts that's prolly one of the better returns for him.

The more likely scenario is the sudden cap space and them wanting to get the roster done and simply getting the best deal is why it hasn't been done yet.

For the people thinking Miro is better than Quinn I honestly think they are basing that on the bubble. His 3 seasons see him as a 35 point D who while better than Quinn defensively, the team and being sheltered play a big role.

Quinn destroys him offensively, is younger and the gap between their dgame is a lot closer than the gap offensively.

His season this year was terrible and his numbers dropped sharply in a less sheltered role.

Can't at 9.5 for six years buying only one UFA year is not a good deal at all. That number needs 8 years to be a win IMO.

• Cheers 1

We need to get lucky with 1 or for me both of these guys on longer term deals, like Colorado got MacKinnon on a contract for under 7m then have him turn into a top 5 player in the league making way less than he could get now. If we sign both to shorter bridge deals its going to cost us down the road more $, if either wins or is nominated for an elite NHL award and produces well offensively is going to command big bucks if they sign a short deal now.

Here is a list of unsigned RFAs from Capfriendly. Yes Pettersson and Hughes are big names important to all of us but there are some other names of note still without contracts. No need for panic, most GMs still have a lot to get done.

76847FC8-1472-41AB-845A-8229B456E613.jpeg

A695F76D-F3FA-4ED8-AB63-43D00A17B10D.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, RomanP said:

Where did you hear it? I specifically listened to his interview. The one who was angling for the offer sheet was the idiot Dhaliwal. Barry was actually pretty clear that the chances are low since the offering team has to be sure that Canucks won't match. With Benning being pretty clear that we will match any offer sheet, I don't think there will be one. Add to it the fact that now Barry's star children Sedin brothers are involved in the team management, I highly doubt that Barry will try to screw us over. Just stop imagining things.

Sorry meant potential offer sheet from a bonkers gm. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Lol what? He's a center. Also miller and horvat take up more or less the same amount of cap space. 

Just because the oilers are useless at filling out the rest of their roster doesn't mean McDavid at 12.5 isn't better then horvat and jt Miller at both close to 6 

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Totally Ibatch... 

It seems to me that folks just wanna throw anything after the two star players, and to hell with everything else. 

Don't get why their salary should go up during flat cap? It's not as if there is more money to do with... And yet could possibly partly blame some of the GM handing out obscene contract to players who is RFA's. Can only hope it comes back to bite them later.

Benning has been good at negotiating RFA contracts up to now, and I do believe, he will continue with that. As for time frame, it was the same with BB and Horvat contracts.

If Pettersson doesn't wanna play ball, then I agree, look what we can get for him instead....and I'm a huge fan of Petey.

QH has to show he can play proper defence, before he gets a massive contract. 

Totally agreed. 

JB worked his butt off to finally clear capspace. He's gotta spend wisely going forward. 

We've seen the financial model of 2 or 3 highly paid players not working. Edmonton, Toronto are examples of poor balanced teams due to tying up capspace on a couple of superstars. There is no denying those players are superstars but the end result is an early playoff exit. 

In our case, it's not even 100% whether Petey and Hughes will be at that elite level . I would like to see a bridge contract so they can prove it OR a long term cap friendly contract. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1