The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

15 minutes ago, Michael P said:

Can anyone explain to me why Benning put himself in this situation ? Why not secure the future of the franchise, and start trading after that? I have to say Benning trade like blind men fight. Almost all the cap troubles we are in, is his own doing. Why not wait out the bad contracts he traded to Arizona, there were only 1 year left on them? He could have bougt out Virtanen and Holtby  anyway and traded Edler and Smidt to clear cap space anyway. I have to, say that I think OEL will have a bounceback in Vancouver but the cap hit is brutal. How will it age?

You won't have to look very far to find this answer.

What does this have to do with the Pettersson/Hughes signing? It's almost like this discussion is being deliberately derailed to talk about the past moves by the GM, which can't be changed now. This is the path that we are in - just accept it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

It's not like GMs and agents sit in a room day after day trying to hammer out a contract. With everything going on these last few weeks, I'm not surprised it's not done yet, as these things take time. It's the main focus now, and from the sound of it, they're just ironing out the details on what works best for the players and team. But also from the sound of it, the players have the team in mind, so there is no squeezing going on from anyone. I expect we'll hear an announcement this week.

I'd love to see contract negotiations from start to finish. Even if it's just some sort of mock negotiation, I think it would cool to see the inner workings. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

That’s over now. Trust me I was in the same boat. I was ready to tucker down for one more season. People flipped out though because of last year. Which is mind boggling because we really didn’t have a chance last year with the schedule and covid. 

It was when JB pulled of this move with OEL retained and somehow got Garland too. I thought ok you know what, it’s go time. We have plenty of space and only really have to figure out Boeser next year. And have you seen the contracts some of these Defencemen are getting 9-10 million dollars. We could be looking pretty good with OEL at 7. I’m definitely not worried about it I can tell you take. I think a lot of fans are so strung up and unsure because of what happened last off-season. We good 

I agree again, It´s besser I`m worried about. Is there money enough left for him next year? I`m not worried about Petey and Quinn trhis year.

2 minutes ago, Michael P said:

I agree again, It´s besser I`m worried about. Is there money enough left for him next year? I`m not worried about Petey and Quinn trhis year.

He already makes almost 6 million a year what’s a raise looks like 2 million. 3 maybe. Depends on the going rate I guess for a goal scoring winger. I don’t see any issues there looking from the outside 

Just now, Devron44 said:

He already makes almost 6 million a year what’s a raise looks like 2 million. 3 maybe. Depends on the going rate I guess for a goal scoring winger. I don’t see any issues there looking from the outside 

Just now, Devron44 said:

Ok, I might have overreacted.. I`m from Sweden and we don`t have a salary cap like you have, and I have to say that makes hockey much more interessting in NHL than it is in SHL., but we have something that you don`t have. Last team in the SHL gets relegated to a playoff with the winner of the 2nd division team.

• Cheers 3

55 minutes ago, Michael P said:

No problem next year.  Boeser has to be qualified at $7.5 million, maybe he negotiates more depending on his season.  His $5.875 million comes off, as does Luongo's  recapture of $3.035 million. Added ($8.910 million) that ought to be plenty unless he wins the Hart, or gets the Conn Smythe in the playoffs, or something wild like that happens.

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, Michael P said:

Ok, I might have overreacted.. I`m from Sweden and we don`t have a salary cap like you have, and I have to say that makes hockey much more interessting in NHL than it is in SHL., but we have something that you don`t have. Last team in the SHL gets relegated to a playoff with the winner of the 2nd division team.

But your 2nd division teams aren't owned by the premier clubs - no?

Would be embarrassing if, for example, Canucks finished last but Abbotsford won the Calder Cup in the AHL,  then defeated the Canucks in a playoff.  (Or any other AHL club, for that matter.  Imagine the Leafs and the Marlies both in the NHL)

Would need the 32 team NHL to go to 2 divisions of 16 teams each, and I can't see the owners agreeing to that. 

29 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Boeser will be traded.  Mark my words.

What?  I mean nothing is for sure but currently there is no reason whatsoever to trade Boeser.  He's a major contributor to our team.  I have a feeling this comment isn't going to age too well.  GCG!

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Boeser will be traded.  Mark my words.

Guys need to stop worrying about BB.   If he hasn't earned his raise, the team can take him to arbitration (7.5) if he doesn't agree to a fair deal.   Then one year will be rewarded.   And we can do it all over again.   Miller is the low guy on the ladder anyways, if anyone's getting traded for more cap and to replenish what's coming up it's likely him.   Good chance we use him as a third line C this year (which i hope we do), and doubt he will be in the teams long term plans although i could be wrong.   One thing is certain, i doubt we will keep all three of Horvat, BB and Miller.   Podz arrival for sure would put some heat on BB though.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Guys need to stop worrying about BB.   If he hasn't earned his raise, the team can take him to arbitration (7.5) if he doesn't agree to a fair deal.   Then one year will be rewarded.   And we can do it all over again.   Miller is the low guy on the ladder anyways, if anyone's getting traded for more cap and to replenish what's coming up it's likely him.   Good chance we use him as a third line C this year (which i hope we do), and doubt he will be in the teams long term plans although i could be wrong.   One thing is certain, i doubt we will keep all three of Horvat, BB and Miller.   Podz arrival for sure would put some heat on BB though.  

It'd be a really bad move to trade Miller. Miller is on a great contract for what he brings to the team. He's multidimensional and players like that signed to great contracts are extremely rare. Chances are that he's also not going to ask for that significant a pay raise. He wants to contend and win. 

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

But your 2nd division teams aren't owned by the premier clubs - no?

Would be embarrassing if, for example, Canucks finished last but Abbotsford won the Calder Cup in the AHL,  then defeated the Canucks in a playoff.  (Or any other AHL club, for that matter.  Imagine the Leafs and the Marlies both in the NHL)

Would need the 32 team NHL to go to 2 divisions of 16 teams each, and I can't see the owners agreeing to that. 

the owners will never agree to that. But think how much better the fight for last place there would be. .Teams can`t  just say that we are in a rebuiuld now. And think about how much the interest will increase for teams in the 2nd division.