The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

9 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Do you mind showing me your math?   I might be a bit off here.  

It’s to my understanding that we have 17.5 million in cap space (14 + 3.5 Ferland LTIR).

After Dickinson (2.5?) and Juolevi (1?), we will have 14 million.  

I don’t doubt that we have tons of space to sign Petey to a long term deal and/or match any predatory offer sheets.  

My biggest concern is that signing Petey to a long term deal will impact the amount that we can give Quinn Hughes.  We are already seeing how much dmen are getting in this off season.  

There’s no way Quinn will accept anything below 7 million nor should he.  If we are LUCKY, he will accept a Zack Werenski-ish 7 million * 3....and if that were to happen, Petey would have to accept a similar AAV.

If we sign Petey to 8.5-9.5 million however, then we would only be able to offer QH between 5.5 and 6.5 which would be a massive slap in the face to QH.

The roster now sits at 22 players. (Max 23). In order to Add Petey, Quinn, Juolevi  and Dickinson to the roster at least 3/4 players need to be sent down freeing up 3+mil salary cap. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Podkolzin isn't included in the 22 players listed on the roster.

It looks like at least one D-man and 3 forwards will get waived and sent to Abby if they clear. Since Podkolzin's salary is the same as Rathbone, I'm guessing that Rathbone starts in Abby as he isn't waiver eligible yet.

I see approximately $19,500,000.oo in space available and more if we start with less than 23 players on the roster

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I'm not willing to give up on Hughes quite yet. I think a lot of his defensive woes were partially in due to being a victim of our defensive system. Hughes' major mishaps would largely be covered up playing on a more dynamic offensively talented team that plays more of a possession game. 

Who in their right mind would even consider 'giving up' on Quinn..? Like is this seriously a discussion? Haha not directed at you but I'm honestly bewildered. 

I have seen some harsh criticism of him though recently, I watched every game last year and I can't for the life of me understand why people are ragging on Quinn so hard. It was his 2nd year in the show, and he is playing against top lines every other shift. He carries the play and our play style is completely stale when he is out of the lineup. 

We got a D that's on track to be the best Franchise D we've ever had by a wide margin and people are thinkin of giving up?!

C'mon Man! (Joe Biden voice) :P

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This might get me some paper bags, and it's probably just a negotiating tactic or something, but the fact that Petey has removed all Canucks related stuff other than pics from his Twitter and Instagram hits me wrong. Hughes too, although at least he's still in his Canuck gear in his profile pics. 

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This might get me some paper bags, and it's probably just a negotiating tactic or something, but the fact that Petey has removed all Canucks related stuff other than pics from his Twitter and Instagram hits me wrong. Hughes too, although at least he's still in his Canuck gear in his profile pics. 

I'm sure its a tactic by his agent to whip up the fan base. Don't bite. 

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Laheys Liquor said:

I would want him to match the offer sheet. That's it. 

just for the sake of argument, say a team goes nuts and goes the 4 1sts compensation route with Petey. If that happens we could consider doing the same thing to Tkachuk and not effect our prospect pool that much.

I guess the Canucks have been a bit lucky with having character players over the years not really fussing over their contracts, until now. I can't recall a difficult signing before, where there was real concern that another team would offer sheet or the player would consider leaving if his wants weren't met. The Sedins were class guys all the way. I thought Petey and Quinn might be the same. Maybe they aren't. 

Kids today...:frantic:

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I guess the Canucks have been a bit lucky with having character players over the years not really fussing over their contracts, until now. I can't recall a difficult signing before, where there was real concern that another team would offer sheet or the player would consider leaving if his wants weren't met. The Sedins were class guys all the way. I thought Petey and Quinn might be the same. Maybe they aren't. 

Kids today...:frantic:

That's a pretty big leap there, Nucker.  The general population has little understanding of the bargaining procedures during contract negotiations.  From what I've heard, the holdup is due to both Quinn and Pete wanting term on their contracts. They don't want a chopped up bridge contract. They want to have a similar situation to Kane and Toews.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/rfa-restricted-free-agents-nhl-2021-rumours-best-offer-sheet/

"Barry reminded on July 30 that agreeing on term is a hurdle in negotiations, but the good news is that both Hughes and Pettersson are committed to re-signing with Vancouver."

There are roughly 35 RFAs still unsigned right now.  It will happen in due course. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I'd pay Miller upwards of 7. I'm not even sure he's going to ask for that because he's always been a team guy and he wants to win a cup so I'd wager he'd be willing to take a cut to do that. If there's anybody on the team that gets the highshool yearbook vote of "most likely to take a cap hit" it'd be Miller. In my opinion guys like Miller are far more valuable than a Brock Boeser. Although Boeser is more talented, he can't play up and down your lineup and when he's not producing, he's not earning his wage in other ways. I disagree with spending money on BB than Miller, but that's obviously a personal preference thing. 

I disagree that millzy isnt as talented as BB..brock is a one dimentional shooter with low speed no physical play 

brock is a pure shooter millzys an all around big body guy reminds me of a modern day bertuzzi me personally would trade brock before him 

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, nux_win said:

If so, that's pretty low class.  But, then again, what do we expect from scumbag agents?  They keep lowering the bar on what constitutes "honest" negotiations.  I'll bite: they have no ethics and don't care who they hurt in order to squeeze out every last dime for themselves (there may be exceptions but that at least seems to be the general rule).  The thing is that it reflects badly on the athletes they represent, whether or not the athletes themselves think that they aren't party to the ugly negotiating tactics.  GCG!

it does. It really takes a fan base for granted. 

• Cheers 2