The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

EP isn’t our best offensive player on the team, night in-night out. Some nights it can be Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, or Miller. As a team as a whole, Markstrom and Demko have been our MVP for the team. 

I keep reading EP market value is around Barzal or Aho. Barzal is undoubtedly the number one offensive option for the Islanders, by a far margin and haven’t missed a single game since entering the league. Aho has a better all-around game than EP and is their best player. 

Teräväinen and Guentzel are more likely comparable.

lol markstrom and demko is only the best player coz of the way this team plays and the defensive woes forcing the goalie to stand on their head... vancouver is one of the worse offensive team in the league with EP out of the lineup lol and it showed again when EP was out how the team was struggling for offense.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol markstrom and demko is only the best player coz of the way this team plays and the defensive woes forcing the goalie to stand on their head... vancouver is one of the worse offensive team in the league with EP out of the lineup lol and it showed again when EP was out how the team was struggling for offense.

Yeah to think EP isnt our number 1 option on offense really has no idea what theyre talking about. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

PPG with EP in the lineup: 2.8

PPG w/o EP: 2.2

Not much of a difference, if you ask me. I mean, they did plummet from 18th in the league to 31st, but its bound to happen to any team. Losing one of your top 6 forward.

31 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Not much of a difference, if you ask me. I mean, they did plummet from 18th in the league to 31st, but its bound to happen to any team. Losing one of your top 6 forward.

lol st louis did just fine without tarasenko who was one of the best scorer in the league in recent years, nashville lost forsberg for 1/3rd of the season and ellis for 2/5th of the season and they didn't plummet to last place in the league. there are plenty of example of teams losing a top 6 and not plummet to become the worse team in the league...

and i dunno how u can say 0.6 is not much of a difference.. that's a difference of 50 goals over 82 games.. canucks avg 3 goals a game with pettersson in the lineup.. they avg 2.4 without him in the lineup.. our goals for per game avg with EP in the lineup is somewhere middle in the league.. without EP in the lineup we are 30th in the league ahead of just detroit and anaheim since EP came into the league.. so i think that's significant

colorado over the past 3 season at various point don't have rantanen, landeskog, makar, mackinnon for a chunk of their season all of them are considered a top forward and they are still 2nd in the league in scoring. actually their goals per game didn't change much when they were gone so ur arguement about teams losing their top 6 will cost them to plummet is invalid.. it just furthers the point the canucks offensively are trash without EP, coz no one else on the team can step up and pick up the slack

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol st louis did just fine without tarasenko who was one of the best scorer in the league in recent years, nashville lost forsberg for 1/3rd of the season and ellis for 2/5th of the season and they didn't plummet to last place in the league. there are plenty of example of teams losing a top 6 and not plummet to become the worse team in the league...

and i dunno how u can say 0.6 is not much of a difference.. that's a difference of 50 goals over 82 games.. canucks avg 3 goals a game with pettersson in the lineup.. they avg 2.4 without him in the lineup.. our goals for per game avg with EP in the lineup is somewhere middle in the league.. without EP in the lineup we are 30th in the league ahead of just detroit and anaheim since EP came into the league.. so i think that's significant

colorado over the past 3 season at various point don't have rantanen, landeskog, makar, mackinnon for a chunk of their season all of them are considered a top forward and they are still 2nd in the league in scoring. actually their goals per game didn't change much when they were gone so ur arguement about teams losing their top 6 will cost them to plummet is invalid.. it just furthers the point the canucks offensively are trash without EP, coz no one else on the team can step up and pick up the slack

Is that due to EP in the lineup or because the entire team last season were just better offensively than this season? Last season, the Canucks were in the top 10 in scoring (3.2 GF) with Miller, Virtanen, and Pearson all having career years. This year, in the 27 games with Pettersson in the lineup, they dropped to 2.8, with the same core players. 

FWIW, the Canucks were actually averaging 2.5 goals (from March 3 to May 19) without EP, dropping to 26th from 18th.

12 hours ago, shiznak said:

When EP went down is when Demko went on his crazy run, it's about as simple as that.

EP may not be as good as Aho or Barzal (or at least not yet) but he does play the same role they do: 1C that is counted on to be the primary offensive catalyst both 5-on-5 and on the PP. Considering he's just slightly below PPG overall in his career so far, all signs point to be he can play that role just fine.

5 hours ago, Nave said:

I remember last year when people were saying it'd take $10M to sign each of them. Now we're saying 6x6. Will be interesting to see how we actually sign em.

kinda demonstrates the scope of insight from a large portion of cdc.

wild vacillation, short memories, and can't see 3 feet in front of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

14 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

They'll both get 3 year bridge contracts. 

3rd year will be high salary so the qualifying offer will be high when they are rfa next time. 

The new CBA signed last year changed how qualifying offers are calculated.  It’s now the lesser of salary in the final year of the contract OR 120% of the AAV. So backloading an RFA’s contract doesn’t really benefit them anymore 

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2021 at 7:41 PM, shiznak said:

EP isn’t our best offensive player on the team, night in-night out. Some nights it can be Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, or Miller. As a team as a whole, Markstrom and Demko have been our MVP for the team. 

I keep reading EP market value is around Barzal or Aho. Barzal is undoubtedly the number one offensive option for the Islanders, by a far margin and haven’t missed a single game since entering the league. Aho has a better all-around game than EP and is their best player. 

Teräväinen and Guentzel are more likely comparable.

One thing to keep in mind with Aho. He signed the offer sheet with Montreal because that deal takes him right to UFA.  That contract doesn’t buy any of his UFA years so it’s bound to be lower than it could have been if it had more term 

On 5/24/2021 at 3:37 AM, shiznak said:

It baffles me when people still think Hughes and Pettersson is worth 7m+ a season. Chychrun who was recently sign last season, signed for 4.5M and just put on a Norris caliber season. Hughes this season, didn’t have the greatest defensive year and also took a step back from the offensive side. I’d be shocked if he signs anywhere near what people are predicting. My guess, he signs a 4-5M deal for 3 years. 

Pettersson’s injury was a blessing in disguise for the organization. If he were to stay healthy the entire year and also stay productive. I could definitely see him sign for 7M a season, but since he hasn’t prove he can stay healthy. He’ll likely too sign anywhere between 4-5M. 

I wish I had that kind of optimism. 

Or drugs. Whatever you're high on lol

23 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

They'll both get 3 year bridge contracts. 

3rd year will be high salary so the qualifying offer will be high when they are rfa next time. 

Also their cap numbers would not be higher than $7M per year because losing close teammates to other teams in the off season as well as suffering through a terrible season make them appreciate that depth and winning are more important than individuals' gains. 

Edited by Maddogy

On 5/25/2021 at 12:50 PM, Nave said:

I remember last year when people were saying it'd take $10M to sign each of them. Now we're saying 6x6. Will be interesting to see how we actually sign em.

That was when both were projected to be better. Instead Quinn suffered defensively and Petey suffered a bad injury.