The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nic Petan - ruined?

Rate this topic

LTC123

One could probably write a Masters Thesis on the causes of a failed sports career.

look back at past history, family history and family traits

reasons for early success, such as speed or early growth spurt

factors that cause a slowing of the improvement curve, injuries, loss or motivation (internal or external), end or growth, health

then events from the club that put a damper on the player

It would be  a long process, interesting, but long

probably many more factors from within than from without of the player

• Like 1

What's wrong with Petan? I thought I heard he has showed very well so far, speed, great hands. In fact, I think he may be the 3rd or 4th line winger on opening day.

Maybe?  (with Pettersson, Motte and Sutter out)

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Garland

Highmore - Petan - Podkolzin 

Gadjovich - Dickinson - Lockwood

Di Guiseppe

1 hour ago, lmm said:

One could probably write a Masters Thesis on the causes of a failed sports career.

factors that cause a slowing of the improvement curve, injuries, loss or motivation (internal or external), end or growth, health

Sounds like a lot of work. More like a PhD thesis that could lead to various projects taking that person to a tenured professorship at a university.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, khay said:

Sounds like a lot of work. More like a PhD thesis that could lead to various projects taking that person to a tenured professorship at a university.

Yeah.  You'd have to be following/monitoring/analyzing your subjects for 15 to 25 years.  That's a lifetime in academia.

10 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Yeah.  You'd have to be following/monitoring/analyzing your subjects for 15 to 25 years.  That's a lifetime in academia.

its true you would need to do research  covering at least 25  years, but you would need to do it retroactively.

You can't just walk up to some parents in the hospital and say, "That's a good looking boy you got there, you gonna put him in hockey? Do you think he'll go in the first round? I'd like to start following him now in case he does, then flops. Do you mind?" 

On 9/25/2021 at 10:54 AM, lmm said:

There's so many variables but it would be interesting. 

New England Patriots did a study on what factors cause the GOAT players to be who they are and did a independent study on it where they interviewed, Jordan, Kobe, Tiger, Brady. 

Surprisingly, Brady was the only one that performed at his best when felt supported and community / relationship was a big factor in his drive. 

The other athletes named used big chips in their shoulder to spur on their competitiveness and rise to greatness. 

So weird how we are all wired so differently. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/25/2021 at 10:35 AM, NUCKER67 said:

What's wrong with Petan? I thought I heard he has showed very well so far, speed, great hands. In fact, I think he may be the 3rd or 4th line winger on opening day.

Di Guiseppe

He's a great AHL player who can be a serviceable call-up.  Expecting more isn't realistic.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

There's so many variables but it would be interesting. 

New England Patriots did a study on what factors cause the GOAT players to be who they are and did a independent study on it where they interviewed, Jordan, Kobe, Tiger, Brady. 

Surprisingly, Brady was the only one that performed at his best when felt supported and community / relationship was a big factor in his drive. 

The other athletes named used big chips in their shoulder to spur on their competitiveness and rise to greatness. 

So weird how we are all wired so differently. 

Interesting to know the difference though, I'd say Jordan's was self inflicted, if he's talking first retirement. 

Tiger, well for obvious reasons, but then he did the whole infidelity thing and well, he didn't really overcome that now did he?

Kobe, one where you look at the guy and think, well, there's a POS who I couldn't care less about.

Brady is an interesting one because he was always overshadowed in the regular season by Manning or someone else, and I dare say, choked quite a few times as well... 18-1.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 9:00 AM, LTC123 said:

Did Winnipeg ruin Nic Petan?  A great young scorer that couldn't make in the NHL?   Too small?   Did Winnipeg ruin his development?   Does he have a 2nd life with the Canucks?

Was the worst player on ice tonight, both teams included

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 10:35 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Di Guiseppe

Where is Hoglander and Chiasson?? Petan will be a callup most likely if injuries happen but Dickenson is on 3rd line not Petan. Petan is a career AHLer, only called up if injuries happen

Petan is a bit of a puzzle.

From what I gathered reading Jets articles is that he would start on the 4th line, play really well, move up, then get injured. Writers tend to say he looks good when he plays but doesn’t get the minutes or the line mates over a consistent stretch.

here is a good article about him from his time with the Leafs: https://editorinleaf.com/2021/02/06/petan-toronto-maple-leafs-lineup/

Given his ability to perform in lower leagues and his unfortunate circumstances in the NHL we could find a bit of a diamond in the rough here. He likely becomes a top player on Abby and earns a few games but if he gels with say Podkolzin and Hoglander or Pearson on an offensive 4th line he could end up producing, but unlikely 

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Petan is a bit of a puzzle.

From what I gathered reading Jets articles is that he would start on the 4th line, play really well, move up, then get injured. Writers tend to say he looks good when he plays but doesn’t get the minutes or the line mates over a consistent stretch.

here is a good article about him from his time with the Leafs: https://editorinleaf.com/2021/02/06/petan-toronto-maple-leafs-lineup/

Given his ability to perform in lower leagues and his unfortunate circumstances in the NHL we could find a bit of a diamond in the rough here. He likely becomes a top player on Abby and earns a few games but if he gels with say Podkolzin and Hoglander or Pearson on an offensive 4th line he could end up producing, but unlikely 

Petan is not a regular and should not be a regular in Canucks lineup. He is just another warm body imo

• Like 1