The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Watching the Canucks from outside of Vancouver

Rate this topic

NZCanuck

It's a hassle at times to get Canucks games. I recently scrapped my cable as the bill was way to high to pay for terrible content with overwhelming commercials. Getting rid of cable, Center Ice is off the table and I'm stuck with NHL Gamecenter...not bad but can't watch playoffs, you'd think the NHL would actually own their product and I just saw as of yesterday. I get some random blackouts....for Seattle games. I should explain further....I'm a lifelong Canucks fan down here in Washington state (now behind enemy lines) I use to be able to watch Canucks games either from cable or even antenna but that is longer an option. No more HNIC to boot...and NBC doesn't even come close in terms of coverage/depth in my opinion. 

On 9/25/2021 at 8:08 PM, NZCanuck said:

First off apologies if this is the wrong forum but hoping for some help from the international fans. Since the NHL launched it's streaming service a decade ago I've watched every Canucks game via NHL.TV

This year it looks like they have sold their soul to ESPN which means no NHL coverage for NZ. Short of a VPN solution has anyone found a way to get games streamed from outside of the USA/Canada? Looking forward to this season and will be mightily p*ssed off if I can't watch the Canucks.

Expert Consult

ESPN App

For more information about ESPN and the ESPN app, click here

COUNTRIES AVAILABLE: Australia, New Zealand (Aotearoa) 

apparently ESPN is going to have every game coverage according to other people that have enquired about it to ESPN. No announcement yet so we will have to sit around and wait for confirmation if that is true or not. If not we really only have the options of VPN or piracy for our full hockey needs. Never thought it would be so potentially hard to watch a NHL game on my console. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I may be in the same situation, and have to say that for all the money making geniuses in the NHL, they are piss poor at marketing of their product.

Folks all over the world haven't got a clue, how or where to obtain a subscription to watch the games.

They may think thats ESPN+'s problem, but if fans lose interest, because they can't watch the games, NHL will lose out on merchandise etc...

Really poor actually.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

F*ck! I am blacked out for Seattle, Vegas, and Colorado.

Well NHL you are just asking me to be a full time pirate at this point.

I live back East ... it's terrible how many games they blacked out last year and i bought every SN channel.   Some games were on that were supposed to be blacked out, others we're blacked out that weren't - it was frustrating.   Pirate indeed - at least i have radio for those games.  

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

I may be in the same situation, and have to say that for all the money making geniuses in the NHL, they are piss poor at marketing of their product.

Folks all over the world haven't got a clue, how or where to obtain a subscription to watch the games.

They may think thats ESPN+'s problem, but if fans lose interest, because they can't watch the games, NHL will lose out on merchandise etc...

Really poor actually.

Where are you based? I've sent multiple emails to NHLTV support and had no response. Called their helpline but as its $0.89 cents a minute to call it from NZ I gave up after 10 minutes on hold. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NZCanuck said:

Where are you based? I've sent multiple emails to NHLTV support and had no response. Called their helpline but as its $0.89 cents a minute to call it from NZ I gave up after 10 minutes on hold. 

Cheers bud.

I'm based in UK, and normally have auto renew of NHLTV... I'd be sure to cancel, if they don't show any live games this year. 

Big question is, who does, or where to obtain a package to watch...

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers bud.

I'm based in UK, and normally have auto renew of NHLTV... I'd be sure to cancel, if they don't show any live games this year. 

I can't even get a response from NHL TV to cancel if that's what I have to do. Auto billing so have paid for the season yet can't even get an email back within 48 hours of sending a query. ESPN looks to be even worse for finding someone to contact. Absolutely pathetic. If I was a casual fan rather than someone that's followed passionately for over 30 years I would have given up and stuck to other sports.

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, NZCanuck said:

I can't even get a response from NHL TV to cancel if that's what I have to do. Auto billing so have paid for the season yet can't even get an email back within 48 hours of sending a query. ESPN looks to be even worse for finding someone to contact. Absolutely pathetic. If I was a casual fan rather than someone that's followed passionately for over 30 years I would have given up and stuck to other sports.

Agree 100% bud... I didn't followed it passionately before 2005, but has ever since, and feel let down, but NHL and Canucks as well for the poor information coming out from the organisations... Would have though ESPN+ would be quicker to arrange for subscriptions to overseas viewers, but for them its just a loss of 1 subscription. For the NHL and Canucks it's the lost of fans Merchandise etc. Lots of fans travel to North America for holidays, just to watch their favourite teams. If you can't watch them, that'll stop fairly soon I'm afraid.

Full ESPN coverage just announced

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/09/the-walt-disney-company-espn-to-televise-stream-nhl-in-109-countries-globally-beginning-with-2021-22-season/

Spoiler

As the National Hockey League (NHL) prepares to drop the puck on the 2021-22 season, The Walt Disney Company and ESPN will bring the energy and excitement of the NHL to fans in 109 countries around the world as part of the groundbreaking long-term agreement announced in March.

Across Australia, New Zealand, Latin America, the Caribbean, parts of Europe and Africa ESPN’s coverage will make the speed, power and skill of the world’s best hockey available to millions of fans.

Coverage will appear across Disney’s ESPN networks and streaming platforms (including Star+, ESPN Player and the ESPN App), depending on the region.

Australia, New Zealand & Pacific Islands

Continuing its commitment to be the premier destination for North American sports, ESPN’s platforms will be the home of the NHL in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Hockey fans will be able to stream every regular season and postseason NHL game – more than 1400 games on the ESPN App – including the entire Stanley Cup Final, the entire Stanley Cup Playoffs, NHL All-Star Weekend, NHL Winter Classic, NHL Stadium Series matches and more.

ESPN and ESPN2 will televise a minimum of two regular-season NHL games per week, plus the Stanley Cup Playoffs and the Stanley Cup Final.

Additionally, NHL studio programming will be available on ESPN channels and the ESPN App, and fans will find extensive highlights across ESPN programming and platforms throughout the season.

Streaming functionality on the ESPN App and ESPN.com.au is available to ESPN channel subscribers via Foxtel, Fetch TV and SKY NZ who enter their TV provider credentials. ESPN and ESPN2 are available via Foxtel, Kayo Sports, Fetch TV and SKY NZ.

Europe & Africa (EMEA)

In a dozen countries across Europe, ESPN Player will provide complete coverage of every NHL game each season – regular season, Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final, NHL All-Star Weekend, NHL Winter Classic, NHL Stadium Series matches and more. Fans in Belgium, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Spain and Turkey, as well as Cyprus, Malta, Romania, San Marino and Vatican City, will be able to stream all 1400+ NHL games and events exclusively on ESPN Player.

Fans in the Netherlands will also be able to watch the NHL on ESPN networks, with at least two NHL games per week throughout the season being televised, as well as coverage of the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final, NHL All-Star Weekend and other special events.

Across sub-Saharan Africa, ESPN will bring the NHL to fans on both the ESPN Africa network and ESPN Player. ESPN Africa will televise two games per week during the regular season and will also offer coverage of the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final. ESPN Player will deliver comprehensive coverage of the NHL season, with all 1400+ games and events. ESPN Africa is available on DStv, MyT, StarSat, StarTimes, while ESPN Player is available in 52 countries and territories across sub-Saharan Africa.

To subscribe to ESPN Player, visit: www.espnplayer.com.

Latin America

In Spanish-speaking South America and Brazil, Disney and ESPN’s coverage of the NHL will be available on both the recently-launched Star+ streaming service and on ESPN networks.

Star+ will provide complete coverage of every NHL game throughout the season. Subscribers will get all 1400+ games and events – regular season, Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final, NHL All-Star Weekend, NHL Winter Classic, NHL Stadium Series matches and more. The NHL on Star+ is part of a broad offering of live sports from ESPN, as well as new international original productions, the full collection of animated comedies from 20th Television, exclusive movie premieres, and more. Star+ is available as a standalone service, or as part of Combo+, a bundled offering with access to Disney+. To subscribe to Star+, visit: www.starplus.com.

ESPN networks throughout Spanish-speaking South America and Brazil will televise at least two NHL games per week throughout the season being televised, as well as coverage of the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final, NHL All-Star Weekend and other special events.

In Mexico and Central America, Star+ will provide coverage of NHL games and events throughout the season. More details about coverage in the region will be shared in the coming weeks.

Caribbean

Across the Caribbean, fans will find ESPN’s coverage of the NHL on both the ESPN Play streaming service and ESPN networks. ESPN Play will provide complete coverage of every NHL game each season – regular season, Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanely Cup Final, NHL All-Star Weekend, NHL Winter Classic, NHL Stadium Series matches and more. ESPN Play is available via the ESPN App.

ESPN networks in the Caribbean will televise at least two NHL games per week throughout the season being televised, as well as coverage of the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Finals, NHL All-Star Weekend and other special events.

I mean, I don't have all the details for it working in NZ, but order an android TV box on Amazon. 170 per year CAD and ill never buy cable or any of the apps people are suggesting. Don't even have Netflix anymore. Also live PPVs like UFC

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers bud.

Same here.

I was hoping that they would do a bolt on for Disney plus but doesn’t seem like it, and trying to find out the information is an hunt.

unlike the NBA which is so easy to find access and watch over here. Season pass is easy to find info on, download and access and it’s a pretty good package NHL are miles behind on international marketing. 

• Vintage 2

I'm in Brisbane and I'm having the same problems so I really welcome the information. I'm not very tech oriented so all the acronyms are somewhat daunting. I'll let my IT son-in-law work it all out.

Interesting that Aus and NZ are excluded from the list of countries that NHLtv is not available. Foxtel trying to keep dominance in the market?

As a retired Canadian living permanently in Aus, hockey is too important to miss so let's hope ESPN gets it sorted.

• 2 weeks later...