The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen at a bar?

Rate this topic

allegend

I just had a late dinner at a popular bar and grill in Abbotsford. Who do I see sitting at

the bar all by himself enjoying a beer? Jake Virtanen. Ha ha. I do a double take. Wait,

Jake is in Russia.

Jake's twin looks at me. I am trying not to laugh. I just nod at him. He nods back.

I didn't want to bother the guy. I figured other people have probably mistaken him

for our baby-faced #18. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 2
1 minute ago, allegend said:

I just had a late dinner at a popular bar and grill in Abbotsford. Who do I see sitting at

the bar all by himself enjoying a beer? Jake Virtanen. Ha ha. I do a double take. Wait,

Jake is in Russia.

Jake's twin looks at me. I am trying not to laugh. I just nod at him. He nods back.

I didn't want to bother the guy. I figured other people have probably mistaken him

for our baby-faced #18. 

No wonder why he wasn't dressed at the KHL games... ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I hope for the best for Jake as he heads to the KHL. 

But man, he had such an opportunity here to be a great player as a local kid. 

Reminds me of Dwight Howard's story. Was so caught up with the spotlight of being famous, lost sight of the reason and the hard work that got him to the NBA. For all the players that "succeed" in the NHL, there are countless more that have failed sadly. Virtanen counts as one of those players who have failed to live up to his draft status. Could've been a superstar - he had all the physical tools, skated very well, was big, should've been physical player, he also had an excellent shot. None of those things collectively came together. Such a tragic story. With that being said, he still gets to live his dream of being a professional hockey player, getting paid quite handsomely to play, even if it is in the KHL. 

• Cheers 1
2 hours ago, grumpyone said:

when I was a teenager, one of my cousins from Edmonton said that I looked like Gretzky....I couldn't have felt more insulted. 

Lol your cousin must've been a Brent Gretzky fan... :ph34r:
Yeah it's unfortunate that Jake became what he did but he's a man, let him live and maybe hopefully we'll see him return to the NHL one day.

Edited by Phil_314
12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I hope for the best for Jake as he heads to the KHL. 

But man, he had such an opportunity here to be a great player as a local kid. 

Reminds me of Dwight Howard's story. Was so caught up with the spotlight of being famous, lost sight of the reason and the hard work that got him to the NBA. For all the players that "succeed" in the NHL, there are countless more that have failed sadly. Virtanen counts as one of those players who have failed to live up to his draft status. Could've been a superstar - he had all the physical tools, skated very well, was big, should've been physical player, he also had an excellent shot. None of those things collectively came together. Such a tragic story. With that being said, he still gets to live his dream of being a professional hockey player, getting paid quite handsomely to play, even if it is in the KHL. 

Jake Viratnen is NOT such a tragic story.  In fact he's not even a story or a footnote as far as I'm concerned.

Afghanistan, residential schools, missing women...those are tragic stories.

Jake the Flake is nothing more than a waste of God-given talent.  That's it, that's all.  If you want to make that a tragedy, then I'll happily call you out on being overly dramatic.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Jake Viratnen is NOT such a tragic story.  In fact he's not even a story or a footnote as far as I'm concerned.

Afghanistan, residential schools, missing women...those are tragic stories.

Jake the Flake is nothing more than a waste of God-given talent.  That's it, that's all.  If you want to make that a tragedy, then I'll happily call you out on being overly dramatic.

The Leafs not having won a playoff series since 2004 is also a tragedy..........damnit...I almost typed that with a straight face.  Almost.

A guy named Jake walks into a bar and asks: "Got any grapes?"
The bartender says no, so Jake leaves.

The next day Jake walks into the bar again and asks: "Got any grapes?"
The bartender says no again, and adds: "This is a bar.", so Jake leaves.

The next day Jake walks into the bar, but the bartender cuts him off by telling him: "We do not serve grapes here, and if you ask for grapes one more time I will nail your beak to the bar!"
Jake asks: "Got any nails?"
The bartender says no, and Jake replies: "Good.  Got any grapes?"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I saw Jake Virtanen at a London Drugs in Abbotsford yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Coffee Crisps in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.