The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Calgary @ Vancouver Monday, Sept. 27/21 7:00 PM Abbotsford Centre

Rate this topic

-DLC-

6 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

No actually its not interfere off the draw. You can tie a guy up for a split second. You’re both stationary. If the guy was already in stride and you go out of your way to step into him and hold him up, its interference.

1) Gudbranson had to take the puck on the backhand and get control. If he has to reach out on his back hand with 2 hands on the stick, he is not set up to make a pass. Hes reaching for control. Using 1 hand to stop the puck and pull it in gives him better control. He doesnt have to turn his back to the play.

2) if he turns his back to the play he has no options. He cant move laterally and he can easily be checked, which is why I will go back to my first point about using 1 hand on the back hand. He opens himself up to move laterally. He has options IF he has time. He can either get it to his forehand and make a strong pass or dump in to the corner or get a shot on net.

3) the reason why he is moving before having full control of the puck is to separate himself from the checker even further. If he had less than half a second more, the puck would have been moved from backhand to forehand and he would have been able to move the puck to the guy on the boards. But because the forwards did not tie their guy up off the draw for half a second, Guddy was under pressure without full control of the puck and on his backhand. Even if he reaches with 2 hands, his only play to make is a backhand dump in through the middle where there was another coiler waiting. 

As soon as the puck is drawn back from the faceoff dot, yes you have to let the guy go. Otherwise that is interference.

1) If Guddy keeps his momentum going towards the middle, he can take the puck with both hands on his stick and chip it off the wall to his waiting winger. It's a play that peewee level players can do.

2) When did I say he should turn his back to the play? I said he opened himself up to get easily checked by backing away from the puck. He left the puck sitting in the middle, with one hand on his stick, and his momentum carrying him away from any chance of recovery.

You can blame the forward all you want, but it was a severe misjudgment on Guddy's part.

6 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

As soon as the puck is drawn back from the faceoff dot, yes you have to let the guy go. Otherwise that is interference.

1) If Guddy keeps his momentum going towards the middle, he can take the puck with both hands on his stick and chip it off the wall to his waiting winger. It's a play that peewee level players can do.

2) When did I say he should turn his back to the play? I said he opened himself up to get easily checked by backing away from the puck. He left the puck sitting in the middle, with one hand on his stick, and his momentum carrying him away from any chance of recovery.

You can blame the forward all you want, but it was a severe misjudgment on Guddy's part.

How does a guy take a puck on the backhand and face towards the player behind him?

And NO It is not interference to tie a guy up for a split second off the draw. Watch tonight, you’ll see guys battling off the draw. Its interference if you go out of your way to step into the guy and stop him. Why and how the f*** is the oiler forward able to skate a completely straight line at Guddy. The flames forwards basically parted the sea’s for him

Guddys one and only “outlet” pass is on his forehand side, not his backhand.

If Guddy keeps going to the middle, the wall is further and further away and he is on his backhand. Its not an easy chip to make because the has to send the puck over THE SAME way he tried to carry it. 

do you play hockey or at least play defence? Honest question.

12 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

If Guddy had less than half a bloody second.. .2 of a second more of time, he would have safely made that play. But because the Flames let the Oiler skate right through with a direct path, not having to go through or around anyone, Guddy was instantly under pressure. Its a pretty peewee level play to TIE YOUR MAN UP

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

How does a guy take a puck on the backhand and face towards the player behind him?

And NO It is not interference to tie a guy up for a split second off the draw. Watch tonight, you’ll see guys battling off the draw. Its interference if you go out of your way to step into the guy and stop him. Why and how the f*** is the oiler forward able to skate a completely straight line at Guddy. The flames forwards basically parted the sea’s for him

If Guddy keeps going to the middle, the wall is further and further away and he is on his backhand. Its not an easy chip to make because the has to send the puck over THE SAME way he tried to carry it. 

you can maintain your space on the ice, that's it.  You cannot move to impede an opposing players progress, even on a face off.

I imagine that OEL is a mix of nervous-anxious-excited for his Canucks debut.

He's played his entire NHL career in the desert, where people don't care about winter sports. A lot of their home fans (which are only a few) are probably from Canada anyway (snowbirds). But he's now playing in Canada, in a pressure market where people are watching and have expectations.

Sheesh, I feel nervous for him lol   Good luck against the Flames tonight Oliver!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

If Guddy had less than half a bloody second.. .2 of a second more of time, he would have safely made that play. But because the Flames let the Oiler skate right through with a direct path, not having to go through or around anyone, Guddy was instantly under pressure. Its a pretty peewee level play to TIE YOUR MAN UP

If he put  himself in a better position, yes, he had enough time to make a play. Yes it is a peewee level play to tie your man up and take a penalty.

9 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

I'm saying he should have been moving towards the middle, facing the middle, and chipping it off the wall behind him on his backhand, where his winger is... what is so hard to understand about that? 

Off a scramble draw like that? the winger pushed the puck back to Guddy, so now if he ties up a man, it's interference. 

If he had moved to the middle as I have said, he would have opened up the backhand chip to the wall, which his winger could retrieve, being the closest to where it should have ended up.

And yes, I played for 17 or so years. I was a scoring forward that could play C, and both wings, while being defensively responsible, which involves covering the point when the d-man jumps up, and making those types of plays. 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

you can maintain your space on the ice, that's it.  You cannot move to impede an opposing players progress, even on a face off.

Exactly. You can line up tight to the guy off the draw and tie him up for a brief second, engage forwards. Im not saying grab the guy and get both hands on him. Just engage him and he cant come straight out. Dont step to the side and let him skate straight at your dman whos on is still moving for the puck on his weakside. .2 more of a second for Guddy gives him enough time to move the puck laterally across his body, avoid the poke check and get the puck on his strong side. Its simple hockey from the faceoff that was a huge breakdown. Guddy is moving laterally to get the puck, while the oiler forward is skating a direct path. Guddy needs to move laterally back the other way to relieve pressure and separate himself from the checker, his forwards didnt buy him ANY time

• Vintage 1