The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Calgary @ Vancouver Monday, Sept. 27/21 7:00 PM Abbotsford Centre

Rate this topic

-DLC-

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

but in terms of actual development we haven't seen anything in terms of success under Benning

I guess if players like Boeser,Pettersson, Hoglander, Hughes,Motte, Rathbone, MacEwen,Juolevi, Demko are chopped Liver. LOL

Edited by wildwood12
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

I guess if players like Boeser,Pettersson, Hoglander, Hughes,Motte, Rathbone, MacEwen,Juolevi, Demko are chopped Liver. LOL

Boeser, Pettersson, Hoglander. Hughes, Motte and Rathbone weren't developed in our AHL system. MacEwen and Juolevi aren't full time NHLers (yet), and I already prefaced my posts by excluding goaltenders, as the position itself makes them an anomaly.

26 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Boeser, Pettersson, Hoglander. Hughes, Motte and Rathbone weren't developed in our AHL system. MacEwen and Juolevi aren't full time NHLers (yet), and I already prefaced my posts by excluding goaltenders, as the position itself makes them an anomaly.

Point well taken 48. Lets hope that the Canucks have turned a corner in developing players as the days of picking in the top 10 are probably over for the foreseeable future.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Development can take place in the AHL or NHL. I stand by my first comment.

51 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

hard to develop players in the AHL when the most likely players with the highest percentage to make the NHL actually make the NHL within a year or two of their draft.  Further to that, when you draft out of Europe of the NCAA, that's where they develop

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Based on what I've seen in the past, I  think Green basically has free reign. If Benning was enforcing his will onto Green I doubt Baertschi would have been sent down, and I doubt Player Name and Virtanen would have seen as much as much press box time as they did.

So you're saying that Green was the one who was solely responsible for holding back Player Name from succeeding while he was here? That SoB!!!

regards,  G.

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

hard to develop players in the AHL when the most likely players with the highest percentage to make the NHL actually make the NHL within a year or two of their draft.  Further to that, when you draft out of Europe of the NCAA, that's where they develop

And, if there isn't any (significant) competition for spots from veterans, then playing rookies at the NHL level, and them by-passing time in the AHL for "development" becomes more likely, no?

regards,  G.

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sure, where we draft from can account for some of it, but still, just going back to when Benning's tenure started, that's 7 years. 7 years worth of AHL rosters and not one full time NHL skater to come out of it. And that's to say nothing of years Gillis was in charge. The last time our developmental system was actually doing it's job was when our 2011 cup run team was developing. I don't need to tell you that that was a long time ago. At what point does this start to look like a problem? At what point can we start pointing the finger and say "You know what? We need to do something about this"

1 hour ago, stawns said:

JB has not drafted very many players out of the CHL during his tenure and many that were picked at the draft were never signed. His preference seems to be European, USHL or NCAA. Jury is out in how well those sent to the AHL pan out. Gadjovich seems to have turned out well but we need to actually see him as a fixture in the NHL to know for sure IMO.

32 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Sure, where we draft from can account for some of it, but still, just going back to when Benning's tenure started, that's 7 years. 7 years worth of AHL rosters and not one full time NHL skater to come out of it. And that's to say nothing of years Gillis was in charge. The last time our developmental system was actually doing it's job was when our 2011 cup run team was developing. I don't need to tell you that that was a long time ago. At what point does this start to look like a problem? At what point can we start pointing the finger and say "You know what? We need to do something about this"

To be fair, I think we’re only just seeing the first wave of Benning’s drafting come through the AHL. 2014 produced a few players, none of which spent much time in the A (only fat Jake I think). 2015 didn’t produce much in the way of guys who were offered contracts (just Boeser who went straight to the NHL, and Brisebois IIRC). We’re seeing the 2016 draft and onwards enter and now graduate from the A- Lind and Gadj (if they do make it), Lockwood, Juolevi, DiPietro, etc. I think this year, and how these guys look at the nhl level (I’m assuming the aforementioned guys will at least get looks this year) will tell us more about our development system through the American League. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Cite me one full time NHL player that isn't a goaltender that was developed through our AHL system over the last 5 years. Hell, make it 10 years. 

Last five years isn't fair, the cupboard was bare because the Canucks under Gillis we're in a win-now mode which means they traded picks and prospects for veterans in areas of need. So top picks under JB were pushed  to the NHL in some cases sooner than they should have been because otherwise those spots would be filled with trash free agents.  Which means Utica saw a lot of second, third and later round players, most of which historically don't make much of a splash in the league. However, they did a do a good job of developing Sautner, Breezer and OJ. The first two into serviceable fill-ins, and OJ hopefully into the next generation of Alex Edler.  But to your question...2012-13 Canucks, just off the top of my head players who spent at least half a season in Manatoba: Burrows, Kessler, Edler, Bieksa, Raymond, Hanson, Schneider. The core of that team, except for the twins, were all groomed in Manatoba.

Edited by canuckleheads fan

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

ridiculous. sure, the team is churning out calder candidates year after year after year, but oh no, not enough ahl players.

boo f***in hoo. why do you care so much how the sausage is made?

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

ridiculous. sure, the team is churning out calder candidates year after year after year, but oh no, not enough ahl players.

boo f***in hoo. why do you care so much how the sausage is made?

Maybe they are watching their waist? Are you saying the person  doesn't have the right to know if sausage is made properly?  

Jack Nicholson Deal With It GIF

Edited by cuporbust

On 9/28/2021 at 4:39 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm not going to disagree with the state Gillis left our pool and development system, but in terms of actual development we haven't seen anything in terms of success under Benning. Maybe that changes with Juolevi and Gadj knocking on the door, but as of right now we haven't managed to develop a single NHL player that isn't a goaltender. Not one. He's been on the job for 7 years, and it's a big part of the reason why we had to overspend on bottom 6 and lower end Dmen over that time frame. We had nothing serviceable to draw from in our own system. At what point does it become a problem to you?

Point is that, because of our complete and total lack of success with developing players that have become successful in the NHL, it's not difficult to see why some folk are skeptical to send a top prospect that looks to have arrived pretty much NHL ready to down to "develop".

Haven't we developed lots of players? Isn't our whole core drafted by Benning except horvat?