The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Three way deal between Canucks, Coyotes, and Devils

edit - my apologies folks.  In my zeal to create this proposal, I didn’t do my homework on Hischier’s actual production throughout his career.  I had him pegged at being around a Sam Reinhart type of production but this clearly hasn’t been the case.  Read the proposal for $&!#s and gigs but this is *clearly* something that I would *not* do. 

An alternate suggestion:  

Keep Petey but still commit to a Hughes/Chychrun/prospects three-way type deal:

Canucks receive:

-Chychrun

Devils receive 

-Hughes

Coyotes receive

-Klimovich

-Ty Smith 

-Kevin Bahl

Canucks updated roster:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

Gadjovich

Chychrun-Myers

OEL-Poolman

Rathbone-Hamonic

Schenn

Demko

Halak

Original Proposal posted below:

[proposal] Three way deal between Canucks, Coyotes, and Devils

Canucks receive:

-Hischier 

-Chychrun

-NJ 2022 1st round pick.

Devils receive 

-Pettersson

-Hughes

Coyotes receive

-Klimovich

-Woo

-MacEwen

-Ty Smith 

-Kevin Bahl

-Canucks 2nd or 3rd round pick from 2022

Canucks new line-up:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Miller-Hischier-Podkolzin

Pearson-Dickinson-Garland

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

Gadjovich

Chychrun-Myers

OEL-Poolman

Rathbone-Hamonic 

Schenn

Demko

Halak

Edited by Patel Bure

Patel..................

Hischier

Chychrun

vs

Pettersson

Hughes

I think Pettersson is miles ahead of Hischier in terms of talent, and although Chychrun is better than Hughes, I do not think the difference is the difference of what the Pettersson/Hischier trade is, therefore, just looking at these pieces, makes me think we pay too much, or that we are the ones that loose.

Giving up the rest, just makes it a huge over payment, OMHO

But it is worthy of debate.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

These boards would be so boring with the funny threads started by PB.  

It's another no for this one too PB.  

Chychrun is decent, but he's Jay Boumeister.  Hiescher is a bustaroo bonsai.  

Good morning Alf

I am in agreement with you about Hischier, but I think Chychrun is a more rounded Dman than Hughes, certainly a different skill set, but better.

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Good morning Alf

I am in agreement with you about Hischier, but I think Chychrun is a more rounded Dman than Hughes, certainly a different skill set, but better.

I'd much rather have Quinn than Boumeister.  Of course both would be nice.  

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Patel..................

Hischier

Chychrun

vs

Pettersson

Hughes

I think Pettersson is miles ahead of Hischier in terms of talent, and although Chychrun is better than Hughes, I do not think the difference is the difference of what the Pettersson/Hischier trade is, therefore, just looking at these pieces, makes me think we pay too much, or that we are the ones that loose.

Giving up the rest, just makes it a huge over payment, OMHO

But it is worthy of debate.

Agreed.  It’s why I added the “probably something else but I’m not sure” comment in. My line of thought is that Arizona would add in Soderstrom, but it would defeat the purpose of what Arizona was trying to achieve.

Maybe the Devils, in this hypothetical, would give us their 1st rounder instead of giving it to Arizona?  (So basically, we’d be moving Petey and Hughes but would be getting back Hischier, Chychrun, and a 1st).

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

Wow Canucks get robbed. This is an awful trade for Canucks.

Pettersson and Hughes for Hischer and Chychrun is an overpayment from Canucks as it is. We would need to get a decent piece added to make that fair. But we also give up Woo, Klimovich, MacKewn and a 2nd? Brutal

Agreed.  What about if NJ gave us their 1st in this hypothetical instead of giving it to AZ?  I’ll add this change in to the OP.

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Can't lose Klim, kid looks like a keeper. We need a Miller replacement in 2 years. 

I love Klim as well but I’m just trying to gauge as to what it would “realistically” take to pry away Chychrun out of Arizona. 

FWIW, I see Podkolzin being out Miller replacement.  I think Klimovich would be our potential Boeser replacement if the Canucks decide that they want to move a piece for a top RHD.

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

I love Klim as well but I’m just trying to gauge as to what it would “realistically” take to pry away Chychrun out of Arizona. 

FWIW, I see Podkolzin being out Miller replacement.  I think Klimovich would be our potential Boeser replacement if the Canucks decide that they want to move a piece for a top RHD.

I don't really see the need for Chychrun tho, not at the cost suggested. OEL, Hughes and Rathbone can move a lot of pucks. We need more RHD depth. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

I don't really see the need for Chychrun tho, not at the cost suggested. OEL, Hughes and Rathbone can move a lot of pucks. We need more RHD depth. 

Agreed we need more RHD depth but I think more than anything, we need a legit Alex Edler replacement (ie an “all situations” dman that can log big minutes and take on the toughest defensive assignments).  To my understanding, that is what Chychrun is.  He’s the the type of guy that you throw out there against the other teams’ top lines.  

My concern with our current D, is that we have a whole bunch of PMD’s (OEL, Hughes, Rathbone), but none of those guys being able to do what prime Alex Edler did......or from a purely defensive standpoint, what Tanev used to do for us.  

On the right side, we have guys like Poolman and Hamonic, but they can also ‘shut down’ a la Tanev style in secondary roles (as you allude to).   

I think Jacob “Edler” Chychrun would be able to take on those tough match ups while being able to carry Myers with him.  With that pairing taking on the tough match ups, it would free both OEL and Rathbone for more offensive deployment.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Agreed we need more RHD depth but I think more than anything, we need a legit Alex Edler replacement (ie an “all situations” dman that can log big minutes and take on the toughest defensive assignments).  To my understanding, that is what Chychrun is.  He’s the the type of guy that you throw out there against the other teams’ top lines.  

My concern with our current D, is that we have a whole bunch of PMD’s (OEL, Hughes, Rathbone), but none of those guys being able to do what prime Alex Edler did......or from a purely defensive standpoint, what Tanev used to do for us.  

On the right side, we have guys like Poolman and Hamonic, but they can also ‘shut down’ a la Tanev style in secondary roles (as you allude to).   

I think Jacob “Edler” Chychrun would be able to take on those tough match ups while being able to carry Myers with him.  With that pairing taking on the tough match ups, it would free both OEL and Rathbone for more offensive deployment.

good points. Its just the cost will be huge, if AZ parts with JC then they have nothing to build around. 

Honestly, Chychrun and Hughes would make an awesome pair.  But on their own, neither is real #1.  They are both great #2, with their own strenght and weakness.

But the difference between Hischier and Pettersson clearly outweights the difference between Hughes and Chychrun, plus we add more asset.  Therefore, hard pass for me.

:Puke:

Oh yikes - I didn’t realize that Hischier’s production was as low as it is.  Just had a look on Hockeydb.  I figured he was producing around a Sam Reinhart level.  :-/

Damn.....

Wow, this.............is a little awkward now.

Can we just forget that I made this proposal?  :-o

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Honestly, Chychrun and Hughes would make an awesome pair.  But on their own, neither is real #1.  They are both great #2, with their own strenght and weakness.

But the difference between Hischier and Pettersson clearly outweights the difference between Hughes and Chychrun, plus we add more asset.  Therefore, hard pass for me.

I just realized what Hischier’s production (or lack thereof) is.  I should have looked before creating this thread.  I thought Hischier was producing around Sam Reinhart levels.