The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yet another Unfortunate Incident

Rate this topic

Fanuck

I'm with Kevin Weekes, this has to be a substantial suspension without pay.  This is inexcusable.  

https://www.tsn.ca/jalen-smereck-andrei-deniskin-nhlpa-iihf-1.1699064

The International Ice Hockey Federation and NHL Players' Association have expressed their support for HC Donbass Donetsk defenceman

after he was subjected to a racist gesture by HC Kremenchuk player Andrei Deniskin in a Ukrainian Hockey League game on Sunday.

Deniskin was ejected from the game after taunting Smereck, who is Black, by mimicking peeling a banana and eating it. He faces further discipline from the league, pending an investigation.

"The IIHF condemns in the strongest possible terms the actions of Andri Denyskin," said IIHF President Luc Tardif in a statement on Monday. "There is no place for such a blatantly racist and unsportsmanlike gesture in our sport and in society.

"This a direct assault on the ideals and values of our game, and we will ensure that all necessary ethics violation investigations occur to ensure that this behaviour is sanctioned appropriately."

Deniskin issued an apology to his Instagram account following the incident, but the post was later deleted.

"Donbass Hockey club strongly denies all forms of discrimination and is outraged by the behavior of Andrei Deniskin." HC Donbass said in a statement. "Racism has no place on sports grounds or outside of them."

Smereck, from Detroit, Mich., played 17 games for the Tucson Roadrunners, Arizona's AHL affiliate, in 2020-21. 

"The NHLPA stands with @jalen_smereck and the hockey community against this deplorable act," the NHL Players' Association tweeted on Monday. "Racism has no place in the game."

41 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd ban him for life personally. What a worthless excuse for a man 

You'd hope it wouldn't even be necessary, but that teams wouldn't take an interest in him due to character issues going forward. Probably not the case in reality though.

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

You'd hope it wouldn't even be necessary, but that teams wouldn't take an interest in him due to character issues going forward. Probably not the case in reality though.

Sadly, Bergevin showed us all how much some GM's value 'character'.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

What a pathetic scumbag. I really don't understand what goes on through he player's head to do this.

I mean, you're only embarrassing yourself when you do this by showing how much of a lowlife you are. 

Some could say it was in the heat of the moment but maybe that just shows their true personality. 

Pure moron. 

I find it kind of funny how the NHLPA and associations like FIFA say racism has "no place in the game", I get what they're trying to say but they should be saying racism has no place whatsoever.

Not just in a specific game/sport.

In all facets of society it has no place and should be eradicated. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I'm with Kevin Weekes, this has to be a substantial suspension without pay.  This is inexcusable.  

https://www.tsn.ca/jalen-smereck-andrei-deniskin-nhlpa-iihf-1.1699064

The International Ice Hockey Federation and NHL Players' Association have expressed their support for HC Donbass Donetsk defenceman

after he was subjected to a racist gesture by HC Kremenchuk player Andrei Deniskin in a Ukrainian Hockey League game on Sunday.

Deniskin was ejected from the game after taunting Smereck, who is Black, by mimicking peeling a banana and eating it. He faces further discipline from the league, pending an investigation.

"The IIHF condemns in the strongest possible terms the actions of Andri Denyskin," said IIHF President Luc Tardif in a statement on Monday. "There is no place for such a blatantly racist and unsportsmanlike gesture in our sport and in society.

"This a direct assault on the ideals and values of our game, and we will ensure that all necessary ethics violation investigations occur to ensure that this behaviour is sanctioned appropriately."

Deniskin issued an apology to his Instagram account following the incident, but the post was later deleted.

"Donbass Hockey club strongly denies all forms of discrimination and is outraged by the behavior of Andrei Deniskin." HC Donbass said in a statement. "Racism has no place on sports grounds or outside of them."

Smereck, from Detroit, Mich., played 17 games for the Tucson Roadrunners, Arizona's AHL affiliate, in 2020-21. 

"The NHLPA stands with @jalen_smereck and the hockey community against this deplorable act," the NHL Players' Association tweeted on Monday. "Racism has no place in the game."

Well Kevin Weekes is another goof but he is 100% correct in this case unfortunately.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

What a pathetic scumbag. I really don't understand what goes on through he player's head to do this.

I mean, you're only embarrassing yourself when you do this by showing how much of a lowlife you are. 

Some could say it was in the heat of the moment but maybe that just shows their true personality. 

Pure moron. 

I find it kind of funny how the NHLPA and associations like FIFA say racism has "no place in the game", I get what they're trying to say but they should be saying racism has no place whatsoever.

Not just in a specific game/sport.

In all facets of society it has no place and should be eradicated. 

This. What a POS. Don't know if he deserves a second chance. Ever. If you can't respect your opponent as a human being even as you hate him as your opponent, then who knows what else he might do. This would be a good time to blast some DK.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Should these two ever be opponents again, I wonder if Smereck makes a money gesture to Deniskin, taunting him for all the money lost from his suspension.

Doubt Smereck would stoop to Deniskin's level.  Millions of people now know what a racist POS Deniskin is...his non-apology clearly shows what a low life he is. 

I've learned in my lifetime that best way to deal with these racist scumbags is to let the court of public opinion have their way with them. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It's the Ukraine, a fascist dung pile where public racism is par for the course.  Fine to blame Deniskin, but he's not out of place in that environment.

Be that may, Deniskin chose to display his racist behavior on a global platform, so that is where he's going to be judged and found to be lacking on human decency.  Off with his head.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It's the Ukraine, a fascist dung pile where public racism is par for the course.  Fine to blame Deniskin, but he's not out of place in that environment.

Ukraine is dirt poor being one of those post-soviet countries.

I've visited myself and found it quite unpleasant TBH, a lot of locals tend to superficially gravitate towards foreigners only because they think you might "be rich".

It's actually quite sad. A Ukrainian friend of mine told me that a lot of the women try to marry off to rich foreign men in the Middle East and Asia just because of the money. 

That being said, I don't want to offend any Ukrainians as I know all Ukrainians are obviously not like this and there are a lot of wonderful people that I've met while in that country as well. I also have good friends of Ukrainian heritage. 

This was just my own honest experience/perspective when visiting the country. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yes, all of those USSR countries are the most racist and intolerant places you could imagine, rivalling the Middle East. A Russian friend of mine told me about a year ago that they don’t have a “trans problem” because in Russia trans people are marched up to the tops of tall buildings by law enforcement and forced to either jump or be shot :(

4 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

Yes, all of those USSR countries are the most racist and intolerant places you could imagine, rivalling the Middle East. A Russian friend of mine told me about a year ago that they don’t have a “trans problem” because in Russia trans people are marched up to the tops of tall buildings by law enforcement and forced to either jump or be shot :(

This can’t be true!