Canucks Community

[Proposal] New Hamonic + Podkolzins Russian

NMHockey

Canucks acquire: D Ilya Lyubushkin

7th Round Draft Pick 2023

Coyotes acquire: D Guillaume Brisebois

(Conditional) 2nd Round Draft Pick 2024

Of Hamonics reported three decisions

(retire, sit out this season, or play) two of them still involve him not being on the team this season. This trade accomplishes three things.. brings in a younger and healthier version of Hamonic as a replacement, brings in the sought-after Russian teammate for Podkolzin, and still allows the Canucks to take advantage of clearing Hamonics $3 Mil cap-hit for signing Pettersson and Hughes

(Lyubushkin only costs $1.35 Mil for this season and then is a UFA and can be figured out from there). He’s very familiar playing with Ekman-Larsson and has two familiar faces in the locker room to walk into in OEL and Garland. He plays an exact Travis Green style of game and is severely underrated because (at this point) he does not put up many points at all. But he’s only 27 and has the skating and headiness to tap into more offense. He’s also 6’2, 201. RHD don’t come cheap and Arizona is in major re-build mode. Offer them a conditional 2nd and make the condition that Lyubushkin re-signs with Vancouver otherwise it becomes a 3rd. The lower pick we get back is the 7th we traded away in the OEL+Garland trade. To start the season for now roll this..

Garland -Pettersson- Boeser

Pearson -Horvat- Podkolzin

Highmore -Miller- Hoglander

Gadjovich -Dickinson- Lockwood

Ekman-Larsson - Poolman

Hughes - Lyubushkin

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi - Schenn

Hunt

Demko

Halak

IR: Sutter

Keeper

LTIR: Hamonic

Motte

Ferland-(Retired)

Abbotsford

P.Di Giuseppe -J.Dowling- D.Klimovich

N.Petan -S.Dries- K.Plasek

Ju.Bailey -J.Stevens- Z.MacEwen

E.Keppen -C.Focht- S.Rempal

V.Arseneau -C.Wouters- J.Lukosevicius

A.Sautner - K.Burroughs

D.Stephens - M.Bowey

A.Kannok-Leipert - J.Woo

M.DiPietro

S.Martin

(Sneak Dowling, MacEwen, Di Giuseppe, Petan, Dries, Bailey, Burroughs, Bowey, Stephens all down to Abbotsford for now, when every NHL team is making final cuts and lots of players are on waivers)

(Let Silovs get playing time in his last season of Junior eligibility)

Edited by ZH96
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I wouldn't do it, Schenn's got winning pedigree, and you might be overhyping Lyubushkin.  

10 points in 134 games isn't exactly offensive potential, and he's never played more than 15 minutes a season which is 3rd pairing.  For that I'd rather see what Schenn can do instead of trading for what might be another Tucker Poolman (except Poolman at least had a 16 point season).

32 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I like the trade Lyubushkin, 27, 6'2, 205 - solid #4 D man, very defensive, plays tough. Only 1.3 million

He will help Podkolzin ...

Benning must have good idea that Hamonic might not play? We will know by October 1st, if Hamonic will play?

Yeah, speculation he may either retire or sit out the season (either of which frees up $3 million in cap).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

I wouldn't do it, Schenn's got winning pedigree, and you might be overhyping Lyubushkin.  

10 points in 134 games isn't exactly offensive potential, and he's never played more than 15 minutes a season which is 3rd pairing.  For that I'd rather see what Schenn can do instead of trading for what might be another Tucker Poolman (except Poolman at least had a 16 point season).

Schenn is a depth pairing guy at this point and locker room value. We can’t rely on him to eat too many minutes. Hes been through a lot of teams and is what he is at this point. Lyubushkin is not being overhyped when he’s been playing on Arizona and no one gives any attention or credit to players there.. Lyubushkin is younger than Poolman and could easily come here and log 15-17 minutes a night, play with Hughes, play aggressive down low, and pot 16 points. We re-signed Hamonic and signed Schenn. If we lose Hamonic we need to add someone. Not to mention Lyubushkin has played a combined total of games that doesn’t even equate to two seasons. He’s a late bloomer

Edited by ZH96

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I like the trade Lyubushkin, 27, 6'2, 205 - solid #4 D man, very defensive, plays tough. Only 1.3 million

He will help Podkolzin ...

Benning must have good idea that Hamonic might not play? We will know by October 1st, if Hamonic will play?

I heard this Friday we’ll know, can’t wait to hear. I hope Benning is all over a trade like this if Hamonic sits out or retires

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Schenn is a depth pairing guy at this point and locker room value. We can’t rely on him to eat too many minutes. Hes been through a lot of teams and is what he is at this point. Lyubushkin is not being overhyped when he’s been playing on Arizona and no one gives any attention or credit to players there.. Lyubushkin is younger than Poolman and could easily come here and log 15-17 minutes a night, play with Hughes, play aggressive down low, and pot 16 points. We re-signed Hamonic and signed Schenn. If we lose Hamonic we need to add someone. Not to mention Lyubushkin has played a combined total of games that doesn’t even equate to two seasons. He’s a late bloomer

I'd rather trade the pick we get for Hamonic to get Lyubushkin instead of trading another 2nd or 3rd of our own, plus it's not a "for certain" that he'd get 16 points.
He scored two points all last season, and if Arizona's keen on a fire sale of vets, they don't have much leverage either (just like I doubt we have much for Hamonic).       

10 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd rather trade the pick we get for Hamonic to get Lyubushkin instead of trading another 2nd or 3rd of our own, plus it's not a "for certain" that he'd get 16 points.
He scored two points all last season, and if Arizona's keen on a fire sale of vets, they don't have much leverage either (just like I doubt we have much for Hamonic).       

This thread was never about a Hamonic trade as well nor is that a reality. Where did you get that idea that we’re getting a pick for Hamonic? If he doesn’t play for us he’s sitting out this season or retiring. This trade brings us closer to also re-couping all our picks from the next two drafts (missing a 2nd in 2022 and 7th in 2023). Who cares about 2024 even if we trade a 1st to compete now. 2022 and 2023 is what is bringing Wright, Savoie, Bedard, and Michkov anyway. Let’s try to continue to build the strongest contender and also if possible Re-coup picks for the next two drafts. Lyubushkin is a relied upon shutdown grind it out defensive leader who was playing borderline top-minutes and tough situations with Ekman-Larsson to allow Ekman-Larsson to skate and put up points. And on a horrible team. Of course he isn’t getting the most points possible right now. And no 16 or higher points is no guarantee but if he does get traded here I’ll bet you anything he slots in beside

Ekman-Larsson and pots 10-12 points and is a PK stalwart in his first full season.

Edited by ZH96

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Hamonic wants out then I would just check the waiver wire or move a LD to RD and have both OJ/Rathbone in.

Hamonic doesn’t want out he might want to take the season off or retire. It’s nothing to do with the Canucks it’s to do with his own personal family issue to solve. The waiver wire will not help a team finally gunning to compete that may potentially lose a top four RHD. Neither will any of the D-men left in free agency (Demers, Hutton, Sbisa). It’s pony up and make a trade or take a big blow to all the work Benning has put in this off-season. Both Juolevi and Rathbone can be in either way.

Just now, ZH96 said:

Hamonic doesn’t want out he might want to take the season off or retire. It’s nothing to do with the Canucks it’s to do with his own personal family issue to solve. The waiver wire will not help a team finally gunning to compete that may potentially lose a top four RHD. Neither will any of the D-men left in free agency (Demers, Hutton, Sbisa). It’s pony up and make a trade or take a big blow to all the work Benning has put in this off-season. Both Juolevi and Rathbone can be in either way.

Waiver wire should be considered as all options should. If he decides not to play does Hamonic still count against the cap? If he does we not be able to make any trade really as we need the cap we have to re-sign Petey/Hughes.

Not a spot I would want to be in if I were JB. Options limited. Hopefully Hamonic does play.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Waiver wire should be considered as all options should. If he decides not to play does Hamonic still count against the cap? If he does we not be able to make any trade really as we need the cap we have to re-sign Petey/Hughes.

Not a spot I would want to be in if I were JB. Options limited. Hopefully Hamonic does play.

Crafty trades and signings build good depth on contenders. Not waiver-wire plucking… Hamonic will go on LTIR if he doesn’t play so his $3 Mil cap will clear. There will be no cap issue from him for Pettersson and Hughes. Honestly hopefully Hamonic sits out for his good and the teams. Sounds like him and his family need some time to sort things out. Lyubushkin would make us better.

16 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

This thread was never about a Hamonic trade as well nor is that a reality. Where did you get that idea that we’re getting a pick for Hamonic? If he doesn’t play for us he’s sitting out this season or retiring. This trade brings us closer to also re-couping all our picks from the next two drafts (missing a 2nd in 2022 and 7th in 2023). Who cares about 2024 even if we trade a 1st to compete now. 2022 and 2023 is what is bringing Wright, Savoie, Bedard, and Michkov anyway. Let’s try to continue to build the strongest contender and also if possible Re-coup picks for the next two drafts. Lyubushkin is a relied upon shutdown grind it out defensive leader who was playing borderline top-minutes and tough situations with Ekman-Larsson to allow Ekman-Larsson to skate and put up points. And on a horrible team. Of course he isn’t getting the most points possible right now. And no 16 or higher points is no guarantee but if he does get traded here I’ll bet you anything he slots in beside Ekman-Larsson and pots 10-12 points and is a PK stalwart in his first full season.

There's a rumor out there that Benning will try to trade him since he wants to play in the States.  

Also, where do we recoup a 2nd in 2022 in this trade?  We receive a 7th.
I'm glad you trust Lyubushkin but this is where we agree to disagree.  I also don't know if the correlation of OEL and Lyubushkin as a tough minutes pair equates to the fact that they were a good tough minutes pair (just like when the Canucks played Del Zotto and Gudbranson cuz they had no one else, doesn't mean they're good) -- they were cratered on defense and their WAR stats were terrible (if they were good together would they not be in the positive?).  

50 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

There's a rumor out there that Benning will try to trade him since he wants to play in the States.  

Also, where do we recoup a 2nd in 2022 in this trade?  We receive a 7th.
I'm glad you trust Lyubushkin but this is where we agree to disagree.  I also don't know if the correlation of OEL and Lyubushkin as a tough minutes pair equates to the fact that they were a good tough minutes pair (just like when the Canucks played Del Zotto and Gudbranson cuz they had no one else, doesn't mean they're good) -- they were cratered on defense and their WAR stats were terrible (if they were good together would they not be in the positive?).  

Where did you hear this rumour? Because the only thing that came out about Hamonic and playing in the States is when he was a pending UFA and that he said he would be willing to play on a team in the States. Because originally he’d said only a Western Canadian team to be closer to his family in Winnipeg. The same reason he wanted a trade out west from the Islanders. Why would he want to play in the States? That makes zero sense. Hamonic also said last year that signing in Vancouver was a family decision too and they loved the city so much. My point with

Ekman-Larsson and Lyubushkin is that Lyubushkin is solid and is basically a top pair RHD outside of his points totals so far. You’re really gonna judge OEL/Lyub off of their WAR stats from playing on a team like the Coyotes….. You could say the same about any player on any bottom feeder rebuilding team. If you read properly you’d see that I pointed out that we don’t have our 2nd in 2022 and 7th in 2023 but in this trade we get the 7th in 2023 back with Lyubushkin. One of our next two drafts missing picks re-couped. Also do yourself a favour and ignore the stats guru scene. Anyone can read numbers on a page and think they know hockey. 

Edited by ZH96