The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] New Hamonic + Podkolzins Russian

NMHockey

I think this is very good trade idea if Hamonic chooses to not play this season. Nice one!

If we are spending a 2nd round pick I would also be kicking tires on Manson out of ANA. See what they want for him in the final year of his contract.

He costs $4.1m so this would need to be factored into considerations...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Waiver wire should be considered as all options should. If he decides not to play does Hamonic still count against the cap? If he does we not be able to make any trade really as we need the cap we have to re-sign Petey/Hughes.

Not a spot I would want to be in if I were JB. Options limited. Hopefully Hamonic does play.

If he retires his contract is wiped out completely.  If he decides to opt out and sit out the season then his contract gets pushed into next year and this year's deal is wiped from the books.  Either way we would get $3 million in cap space added this year.

• Like 1

I honestly think we just leave it be for a while cycle Tepid Schenn, Bonethug, Yolandi, Breakwood, take a good look at what we have there. If the team can't compete for a playoff spot down a 5/6 D then it won't be worth going and getting one. If they are in a playoff spot come deadline then we will know exactly who ain't cutting it and what we need. 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:51 AM, hammertime said:

I honestly think we just leave it be for a while cycle Tepid Schenn, Bonethug, Yolandi, Breakwood, take a good look at what we have there. If the team can't compete for a playoff spot down a 5/6 D then it won't be worth going and getting one. If they are in a playoff spot come deadline then we will know exactly who ain't cutting it and what we need. 

Hamonic is not a 5th/6th D-man he’s a 2nd/3rd D-man and when healthy may still be able to get back to half of his 1st D self. Besides it’s not a matter of not being able to compete down a 5/6 D (because we definitely CAN). It’s a matter of not losing depth and what we built this off-season. No point cycling depth and big question mark D-men when there’s many quality D-men on the market to be had that can help us immensely right now.

• Cheers 1

On 9/28/2021 at 12:29 AM, BigTramFan said:

I think this is very good trade idea if Hamonic chooses to not play this season. Nice one!

If we are spending a 2nd round pick I would also be kicking tires on Manson out of ANA. See what they want for him in the final year of his contract.

He costs $4.1m so this would need to be factored into considerations...

I eyed Manson as the only other option too but his cap-hit was concerning with our situation

On 9/28/2021 at 11:48 AM, Dixon Ward said:

If JB can pull off a deal for a rhd who clears up cap space, great.  But in the mean time, this gives Schenn, Bowie, Burroughs, and Woo a chance to play some minutes and see what they have.  Too bad for Keeper, this might have been a good shot for him.

Schenn is a 7th D-man and should stay that way. He’s more-so a quality Stanley Cup experienced locker room presence veteran rather than minute muncher now. Woo should stay getting max playing time in the AHL while we can afford to send him there waiver-free and use up his ELC. Bowey is looking more and more like a complete bust of a 2nd round pick by Washington and at this stage is not even a sure-fire top four AHL D-man. I’ve always liked a Burroughs as a late-blooming dark horse young D-man but don’t think he should be thrown into too many NHL minutes just yet. I think a trade for a D like Lyubushkin should be coordinated quickly if Hamonic opts out.

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Hamonic is not a 5th/6th D-man he’s a 2nd/3rd D-man and when healthy may still be able to get back to half of his 1st D self. Besides it’s not a matter of not being able to compete down a 5/6 D (because we definitely CAN). It’s a matter of not losing depth and what we built this off-season. No point cycling depth and big question mark D-men when there’s many quality D-men on the market to be had that can help us immensely right now.

NAH!

IMO we see what we have in Rath Olli. Then around the deadline make a move if needed. I like Mario Ferraro.

1 hour ago, ZH96 said:

I eyed Manson as the only other option too but his cap-hit was concerning with our situation

Lauzon, Manson, Lyubushkin have been mentioned.

Few other RD that teams may be interested in trading are: Miller (BUF, $3.875m), Sekera (DAL, $1.5m), Brown (OTT, $1.2m).

Miller's cap hit probably a bit high, but he would be a good option in the top 4.

Sekera and/or Brown are more 6/7/8th Dmen but would bring depth on RD.

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

NAH!

IMO we see what we have in Rath Olli. Then around the deadline make a move if needed. I like Mario Ferraro.

We are short on RD. Ideally need a defensively oriented top 4 RD.....Rath and Olli are LD. We trade for another LD in Ferraro? Why?

58 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

We are short on RD. Ideally need a defensively oriented top 4 RD.....Rath and Olli are LD. We trade for another LD in Ferraro? Why?

I mean sure ultimately I agree we need a top pairing RHD. But more immediately Edler led the league in PK mins last year. We don't have a LHD who can PK worth a damn. Hopefully Olli can be that guy buuuuuuut thats a big if! Rathbone PK??? OEL???? Hughes??

If I'm Green I'm scratching my head. 

23 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I mean sure ultimately I agree we need a top pairing RHD. But more immediately Edler led the league in PK mins last year. We don't have a LHD who can PK worth a damn. Hopefully Olli can be that guy buuuuuuut thats a big if! Rathbone PK??? OEL???? Hughes??

If I'm Green I'm scratching my head. 

Edler did play a lot of PK last season, but was it effective? He averaged 3.4 mins shorthanded per game and gave away 7.4 goals/60 mins.

Compare that to Myers who averaged 3.2 mins SH per game. Only gave away 5.4 goals/60 mins.

Who is going to play PK on the left side this season? 

Well, no doubt OEL is going to log some minutes. He averaged 1.8 mins SH per game last season and gave away 5.1 goals/60 mins. Pretty bloody good. Just not quite the number of mins as Edler or Myers. But he will definitely be one of our PKer's.

Now this is why I like @ZH96's proposal so much...how does Lauzon compare? He is a lefty that can play RD. He could play RD 5v5 and then PK on the left side. His numbers from last season are: 3.1 mins SH per game and only gave away 4.3 goals/60 mins. Big minutes on the PK and excellent result.

So proposed PK D-pairings are:

Lauzon-Myers

OEL-Poolman

(for completeness...Poolman played 1.3 mins SH/game last season and gave away 3.4 goals/60 mins). 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

NAH!

We know what we have in Rathbone and especially what we have in Olli who’s now pushing 24… That doesn’t change maintaining depth and the loss of a RIGHT hand D. Mario Ferraro is a quality smart two-way young D-man with rising upside and the best young D on the Sharks on their aging blueline. A re-building team like them has no reason to trade him and if you we do want him… say goodbye to one of Rathbone, Hoglander, or Lockwood + 2nd/3rd.