The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers Sportsnet Layoffs.

DS4quality

2 hours ago, gurn said:

A company needs to be extremely careful when doing lay offs. Yes, you are lowering your costs, but if you mess up you are also lowering your income.

No local talent, maybe the locals don't listen. In which case nobody advertises with you.

Now you have no income and no local talent. lose/lose.

Unfortunately the idiots with the balance sheets seem to have the biggest voice. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Unfortunately the idiots with the balance sheets seem to have the biggest voice. 

I'm an Accountant and most decision makers on Board don't even know what a B/S is or budgets or projections.... all they look at is the recent P&L... very short-sighted!!

• Cheers 2

Sad for the jobs lots, Not for the jobs they did. Get with the times and support the little guy. AKA youtubers. Donny's show is good entertainment but its not news, If you actually want to know what going on around NHL daily, Some of these YT'ers are very good at having all the facts displayed infront of you while discussing said topic

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Sad for the jobs lots, Not for the jobs they did. Get with the times and support the little guy. AKA youtubers. Donny's show is good entertainment but its not news, If you actually want to know what going on around NHL daily, Some of these YT'ers are very good at having all the facts displayed infront of you while discussing said topic

Any recommendations?

From what I've heard of 650, the content is pretty thin.  1 interview an hour just doesn't cut it with me.  I get that it takes money to pay for interesting interviews but Sportsnet is interviewing mostly people who are on the payroll already.   Most of the air is taken up with various hosts prattling on about what they know little of.  They've always been cheap at 650 and it showed.

I think that where this is going is podcasts.  Guys who are good will make money.  The rest, not so much.

Donnie and Dahli put out a pretty good product.  They have the backing of chektv and can afford to pay good people to interview.  

Sekeres, who I can't stand, I can ignore.  I guess they have a following.  Lord knows how or why?

I watch a lot of THG on Youtube.  That is all him so no interviews but he is the star of his own vlog.

• Upvote 1

I hate to see people lose their jobs however...  I have to say that Rintoul and Surman was the worst show going on 650.  It was just very difficult to listen to which was unfortunate because it coincided with me being next to the radio every day.  

6 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Any recommendations?

Like others have mentioned, The Hockey Guy is pretty good.  Not too much fluff, very direct and to the point.  Really helps give perspective on the rest of the league as well.  

Otherwise my go to for Canucks has been Canucks Conversation on Spotify (might be found on other places too).  

The only Sportsnet coverage that's any good is macintyre. Hell, the hockey guy does a better job than the endless Satiar Shah types that all say the same god damn thing.

I'd sacrifice all of them to hear what Friedman has to say. They should have fired some people, they just fired the wrong ones.

7 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Youtubing costs very little and the content the uploaders get it from is usually paid.

Canucks Clay is a good guy for many reasons, and his explanation of hockey stuff is great for people who may or may not be familiar with the material. However, what I noticed with people like him (not just him) is that they obviously drag the videos out to maximize revenue (aka ads). I was not particularly impressed with the video he made about why jersey numbers are important to people because he barely did any research on it. Sometimes uploaders are grasping at straws to maintain a daily presence in their field.

I'm not completely bashing the guy. I think he's got a great personality, and I hope he doesn't get offended because I'm pretty sure he reads this board.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Youtubing costs very little and the content the uploaders get it from is usually paid.

Canucks Clay is a good guy for many reasons, and his explanation of hockey stuff is great for people who may or may not be familiar with the material. However, what I noticed with people like him (not just him) is that they obviously drag the videos out to maximize revenue (aka ads). I was not particularly impressed with the video he made about why jersey numbers are important to people because he barely did any research on it. Sometimes uploaders are grasping at straws to maintain a daily presence in their field.

I'm not completely bashing the guy. I think he's got a great personality, and I hope he doesn't get offended because I'm pretty sure he reads this board.

Sadly that's on Youtube algorithm. It's better to drag your video to at least 10 mins long in order to maximize revenue rather than having a 5 min insightful piece.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I hate to see people lose their jobs however...  I have to say that Rintoul and Surman was the worst show going on 650.  It was just very difficult to listen to which was unfortunate because it coincided with me being next to the radio every day.  

Have to agree with this one.  Rintoul was almost "too professional" for a three hour radio show, if that makes sense.  His opinions were always vanilla and never strayed from the standard politically correct takes.  That's perfectly fine for a politician, or if he wants to be another Ron MacLean to someone else's Don Cherry, but if you want to have a successful radio show, you need to have some interesting, unpopular opinions at times.  He never had that, and it was a real drag going from Halford and Brough to Rintoul and Surmon in the mornings.  

Rintoul would make a great intermission host or something, but not the star of a three hour talk show.  We need more Jason Broughs and Jim Romes (and even, dare I say it, Andrew Walkers).  They make for interesting radio.

I also think it was a bad choice trying to broadcast to two markets (Calgary and Vancouver), and also a bad choice hiring Karen Surmon which was clearly a diversity hire rather than a hire based on merit.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

Have to agree with this one.  Rintoul was almost "too professional" for a three hour radio show, if that makes sense.  His opinions were always vanilla and never strayed from the standard politically correct takes.  That's perfectly fine for a politician, or if he wants to be another Ron MacLean to someone else's Don Cherry, but if you want to have a successful radio show, you need to have some interesting, unpopular opinions at times.  He never had that, and it was a real drag going from Halford and Brough to Rintoul and Surmon in the mornings.  

Rintoul would make a great intermission host or something, but not the star of a three hour talk show.  We need more Jason Broughs and Jim Romes (and even, dare I say it, Andrew Walkers).  They make for interesting radio.

I also think it was a bad choice trying to broadcast to two markets (Calgary and Vancouver), and also a bad choice hiring Karen Surmon which was clearly a diversity hire rather than a hire based on merit.

I want facts, not interesting radio. 

That's why The Hockey Guy is good. 

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Like others have mentioned, The Hockey Guy is pretty good.  Not too much fluff, very direct and to the point.  Really helps give perspective on the rest of the league as well.  

Otherwise my go to for Canucks has been Canucks Conversation on Spotify (might be found on other places too).  

Yep, Canucks Conversation is by far the best. Too bad it’s not on everyday. I see the team very much in the same way as Faber does. His little helper Quads is growing on me as time goes on.

Sekeres and Price delight in trashing the Canucks and the NHL, and I’ll never forgive Sekeres for airing that false story about Quinn Hughes being put on an I.V., then a half hearted apology afterwards. Patterson works his butt off, but he is also part of the circle of negativity.

The Vancast with Drance is just ok. After a while his braying, donkey-like laughter at his own jokes really starts to grate. 

Donnie and Dhali, I’ve given it a shot, but for some reason it’s not for me. Which is strange, because I evolved as a sports fan in large part due to watching Donnie Taylor of Sports page. Donnie has sort of gone full grumpy old man and I’m not sure I like it.

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I want facts, not interesting radio. 

That's why The Hockey Guy is good. 

The Hockey Guy is very good, but he's good because he's always totally up to date and his videos are only 20 minutes long usually.

I think even the Hockey Guy would struggle to make a three hour radio show entertaining.  There are only so many new facts to broadcast every day. 

Part of the issue is their inability to see and serve the people that are not just Canuck fans. Heck even the Canuck fans are poorly served; as the media guys talk only about the NHL Canucks. Very little about the farm team, and almost nothing about the draft picks playing in major junior.

3 hrs to fill, well 1 hr of that is commercials and sports 'headline news". Leaves 2 hrs to fill with Canuck talk, Abbottsford talk, draft pick talk, plus the local "major" teams-Lions, Whitecaps, Canadians. Then the Giants.

Lots to talk about, haven't even got in to MLB, NFL, or NHL at large.

But it is always  Canuck talk- and almost always focused on ONE single Canuck issue for the entire day; often for day after day.

8 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

The only Sportsnet coverage that's any good is macintyre. Hell, the hockey guy does a better job than the endless Satiar Shah types that all say the same god damn thing.

I'd sacrifice all of them to hear what Friedman has to say. They should have fired some people, they just fired the wrong ones.

I actually like Satiar Shah.  Him and Randip are good...  Dan Riccio is often thinking while he's talking so he just... ends up.... drawing out his.... sentences, without really...saying much. 

15 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I hear you, Best example i can give is someone who most should know. Thehockeyguy. What he does pre game and post game is what i like to see. Stats and facts. Too bad it can't include video highlights lol. I could care less what joe blow on the sportsnet show who knows nothing has to say for 14 seconds then moves on to the next topic.

#Bilaorbust :emot-parrot:

• Cheers 1