The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So, trades for our RFA's-what's realistic?

Rate this topic

Got the Babych

6 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Before I throw in my two cents let me say the amount of overreaction is complete nonsense. CDC has gone from verbally threatening Matheson's dog on Twitter after slamming Petey to the ground to oh Shi* they're self-entitled brats because they haven't signed yet to now let's trade them.

I often read here how $&!#e leaf fans are but there is not a more flip-flop fanbase in all of sport. From multiple riots to stalking Benning on land sea and air, to the five stages of grief. Team's literally spend years trying to acquire cornerstone pieces and we got them at 5th and 7th in back to back year's but ya let's move our best assets because they missed 5 days of camp. Even if they weren't happy they either soon here or wait 4 and five years playing in the KHL. There is no chance of that and there is no way they would get traded. the worst part of this madness is when they sign on Friday this place will be full of posts loving on them again and all the people who have been calling for lynching will hop on over to HF obnoxiously trolling the fans of other team's who will be undoubtedly saying it's a bad deal no matter the actual deal, finally followed by multiple polls asking if they were good deals only to get insulted by hab fans saying Quinn can't play D and oiler fans saying how good of a deal Barries contract is and Petey is a diver. lol.

Seems these days folks are in a rush to label groups(eg: ALL! CDC'ers), or tar them all with one brush. Since these discussion boards exist, some don't mind pondering a variety of directions - only to have random posters hyperventlilate over it all.

It's these 2 kids who've decided to band under a controversial, somewhat unsavoury character-of-an-agent.

Maybe OEL & JR can cover 70-90% of the offence QH provides? What's wrong with turning a gifted young asset into perhaps 2 or 3 key pieces, that might provide say, size or speed that the roster could use?

The old Harry Neale-ism: "It's not the team with the best players; but the players with the best team."

ANNNND, he used to always say that in the late 80's, 90's, before the ceiling/floor cap came along. It's even more relevant & applicable today.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, mll said:

Can’t imagine Arizona being in the slightest interested.  Chychrun plays both ends of the ice and plays against the opponents best lines.  He’s apparently their only untouchable per Friedman.  

I did not complain when we picked Juolevi. He was not my favorite D, but I liked that we took him.

I had Chychrun 4th in that draft. I thought we getting Pierre Luc Dubois  

4 hours ago, audiodave said:

I'd say the equivalent of 3 1st round picks for Pettersson and 2 for Hughes. If it was a player for player deal I think Hughes for Chychrun or Dahlin would be fair. 

lol you'd be lucky to get 1 1st rounder for EP who's 100% won't stay past his 4year rfa in any team he's traded to coz no team that have the amount of cap space is a playoff contending team.

and any of those teams that would trade for EP can just offer sheet him 1 year for under 10mil for 2 1st 2nd and a 3rd

Edited by wai_lai416

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I did not complain when we picked Juolevi. He was not my favorite D, but I liked that we took him.

I had Chychrun 4th in that draft. I thought we getting Pierre Luc Dubois  

He somehow kept on dropping that draft and Arizona then swapped 1st round picks with Detroit to grab him at 16th.  Mirtle pointed out that the trade was between one of the most experienced GMs and the least experienced feeling it was so cheap for Detroit to off-load Datsyuk's contract.  Cholowski who Detroit drafted with Arizona's pick 4 spots later hasn't shown he can play in the NHL and was lost to Seattle in expansion.  

Now that he's finally healthy, he's showing that he can be a D1.  Some are projecting him to play on a pairing with Makar at the Olympics.  He was 10th in Norris voting with even a 1st place vote - it's not really his production that is pointed out but his defensive game.  He was playing against the opponents' best lines - his primary matchups were MacKinnon, Stone last season.  

There's noise that he'll likely be their next captain.  Long time beat writer Craig Morgan says it should be evident to anyone following Arizona that Chychrun is not available as they are looking to build around him - he's only 23. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Wanless said:

I wouldn’t trade petey

players I would trade Hughes for

Chychrun

sergachev

Werenski

dahlen

of course there would need to be other picks involved to equal the trade

Noah Dobson and Wahlstrom?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd love it if Hughes could go to Arizona for Chychrun (if Petey and Hughes won't both fit under the cap when signed, then sign and trade Hughes).

For Petey, I made the suggestion of Cozens (emerging but not yet full-fledged "#1" C) and Owen Power (top prospect, 6'6" LHD, could blossom into a mobile, all situations type).  

Why would a cheap team like the Yotes deal Chychrun signed to a deal already for 4.6 million per year for an unsigned Hughes?  

10 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Consider nothing, let's make examples out of them and the greedy agents. Reasonable offers or go back to the khl or let them sit for the year.  Only non playoff teams can afford those contracts anyways... if  u want to win then share the cap space. Make it work don't eat all the pie.. if they think they can both win the cup and carry the team on there backs prove it.. score the ot winners get the buzzer beaters. Those clutch plays will get them whatever they want......trade them to Toronto.  Instead of 4 lines they can play beer league style hockey with 5 players and a sub.  Lol

lol

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hughes to NJ for Severson, Holtz and 2 1sts

OEL, Severson

Rathbone, Poolman

Juolevi, Myers

I like this one, and its more along the lines of what you'd expect. You're not going to get a 1:1 RFA star swap of some kind. But a roster player and futures? yup.

This deal allows us to lock up Petey long term, and really solidify the d.

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, khay said:

Only if Eichel were healthy.

Pettersson's value >= Eichel's value because Eichel wants out.

Pettersson's value >>> Eichel's value because Eichel wants out and is unfit to play.

Hughes and Dahlin is more or less a wash.

Dahlin may be more of a complete player but Hughes is one of a kind player.

Who knows if and when Eichel is going to play and again, it begs the question. If we are getting a 10 mil player in Eichel who is unhealthy, why don't we just give EP 10 mil x 8 years or whatever it is that he wants on a long term deal already? 

As it stands I would say the trade is basically a wash as Eichel and Dahlin a superior players (Dahlin not so much but his draft position and potential gives him an edge) but the fact that Eichel might not play at all this year brings the trade back to a wash.

Vancouver would need to be compensated if Eichel has long term complications.

For every year Eichel plays less than 10 games Vancouver gets their unprotected 1st for up to 4 years.

So if Eichel doesn't play Vancouver trades Petey for 4 unprotected 1st. Would be a $&!# trade for Vancouver as we are not in a position of needed 4 1st round picks we need a 1st line center but at least we would get compensated and might be worth the risk of possibly getting a healthy Eichel.

8 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Before I throw in my two cents let me say the amount of overreaction is complete nonsense. CDC has gone from verbally threatening Matheson's dog on Twitter after slamming Petey to the ground to oh Shi* they're self-entitled brats because they haven't signed yet to now let's trade them.

I often read here how $&!#e leaf fans are but there is not a more flip-flop fanbase in all of sport. From multiple riots to stalking Benning on land sea and air, to the five stages of grief. Team's literally spend years trying to acquire cornerstone pieces and we got them at 5th and 7th in back to back year's but ya let's move our best assets because they missed 5 days of camp. Even if they weren't happy they either soon here or wait 4 and five years playing in the KHL. There is no chance of that and there is no way they would get traded. the worst part of this madness is when they sign on Friday this place will be full of posts loving on them again and all the people who have been calling for lynching will hop on over to HF obnoxiously trolling the fans of other team's who will be undoubtedly saying it's a bad deal no matter the actual deal, finally followed by multiple polls asking if they were good deals only to get insulted by hab fans saying Quinn can't play D and oiler fans saying how good of a deal Barries contract is and Petey is a diver. lol.

Wouldn't say there's been much bashing on this thread. It's an option that the team has to at least consider, and there's been some well thought out ideas. We're disappointed they aren't here, and passing the time!

55 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

As it stands I would say the trade is basically a wash as Eichel and Dahlin a superior players (Dahlin not so much but his draft position and potential gives him an edge) but the fact that Eichel might not play at all this year brings the trade back to a wash.

Vancouver would need to be compensated if Eichel has long term complications.

For every year Eichel plays less than 10 games Vancouver gets their unprotected 1st for up to 4 years.

So if Eichel doesn't play Vancouver trades Petey for 4 unprotected 1st. Would be a $&!# trade for Vancouver as we are not in a position of needed 4 1st round picks we need a 1st line center but at least we would get compensated and might be worth the risk of possibly getting a healthy Eichel.

You are right, we'd be taking the risk, so conditional picks make sense.

But, how about Eichel, Dahlin, and next year's first straight up, would you do that? I would.

2 hours ago, laddie said:

Noah Dobson and Wahlstrom?

Kind of agree, because I'm a Dobson fan. I think a 6/4" Right side D who projects as a # 1 on that side is what you build that side around, contrary to what that other guy said. I disagree with him. The Islanders need more offense.  We need the the RD.

I wonder though, don't the Islanders have cap problems? Do they want to give up 2 guys that are cheap for 1 or 2 years?

They'll be paying through the nose for Dobson  next year anyway so yeah, maybe you could tempt them there and just have them add picks.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

You are right, we'd be taking the risk, so conditional picks make sense.

But, how about Eichel, Dahlin, and next year's first straight up, would you do that? I would.

Without any compensation if Eichels neck is hooped and he never plays again?

I don't know, I'd need to educate myself more of Eichels condition and the chance he returns to full health

12 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Without any compensation if Eichels neck is hooped and he never plays again?

I don't know, I'd need to educate myself more of Eichels condition and the chance he returns to full health

It's a gamble for sure. But, we'd get a high first round pick regardless, and if Eichel does come back 100%? That's a win.

The Brockstar broke his frikkin' back a few years ago, and it's only made him stronger.

I've had a recurring thought on a possible destination for EP. Because of how they've run(in synch) to Barry, I'd like them sent to separate destinations.

I'd rather they dealt QH's first. Part of the return, would be a larger, dependable blueliner.

Then if greed still was messing with EP's better judgement..shipped off to CBJ.

Van: EP, Juolevi

CBJ: Kent Johnson, Corson Ceulemans, 2022 1st(the lower/worse pick of BJ's or Blackhawks..I expect both to miss PO's),

Vadislav Gavrikov ..mid 20's sizeable lhd & bud for VP

There are a few reasons, but I'll just throw this out for kicks...

• Wat 1

i think NYRangers are the team for Hughes, it would be a crazy rivalry against his cross town brother, and would create mayhem.......I love the thought

Also is the fact that the rangers can handle his cap hit for a year or 2, so they have time to rearrange things..........

Hughes to the Rangers

Brayden Schneider, and a 2022 - 1st  or maybe Schneider and Filp Chytil, but I think the Canucks add if he is in the trade

The Canucks can either use the 1st at the draft or flip it for immediate help, Schneider will be a great for years to come. 

• Vintage 1