The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

Rate this topic

JM_

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

If we take it from the players side:

They spent their whole life training, practicing and improving to where they are today. They don't have a very long career compare to most other professions. One has to maximize their earning during their playing days in order to secure themselves for the rest of their lives. I have no problem with the player doing every thing they can to get extra money in their earning. Because once they retire, they have very limited skills for any jobs outside of the sport.

These threads are hilarious. These contracts have a huge impact on the team's present and future, not just the dollars but the terms, which are often of even more significance than the money. And they have the same significance to the players careers and lifetime earnings. And of course there are conflicting agendas. 

So negotiating them can easily take a long time. It's not quite the same as walking into a car dealership, spending an hour haggling over the price, then having the salesman tell you that you got such a great deal you almost got him fired, you are a great negotiator.

And because this process takes some time, some posters are vilifying our two biggest stars for being greedy for not accepting whatever they were offered, while others vilify JB for not immediately giving them whatever they wanted. 

And then we get to this thread, where the premise is that something sleazy must be going on, and since there is an agent involved and agents are evil, let's crap on the agent too.

What I don't understand is what sleazy tactics were being used? 

On 9/30/2021 at 10:19 PM, JM_ said:

I'm curious where people stand on this.

For me, I blame Barry for being willing to create a lot of potential animosity with his hardball tactics. I don't blame the kids at all, its a massive decision that very few people of that age could handle on their own.

But i also get that people don't like the situation and could be causing people to sour on the kids. Curious what the split on this is.

Many of JP's clients have signed in time for the season.  I don't blame him at all, since he is just looking out for his clients. He's doing this job.  I blame banning actually if you ask me. He prioritized the wrong players for last. 

15 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Many of JP's clients have signed in time for the season.  I don't blame him at all, since he is just looking out for his clients. He's doing this job.  I blame banning actually if you ask me. He prioritized the wrong players for last. 

Disagree... 

so JB was going to hang on to all the garbage until they contracts had been signed, before looking at the rest of the team?

Look around and see whats left, and maybe even add more dollars to their contracts...

Benning has to look at the whole picture. If they want to utilize their window, they have to build a team, when the players are a available. This way Benning also showed the agent, what there was left in the pot to sign thise two. 
Thought both camps came out of this on a positive note. The agents did their job. Can be discussed whether we like thair tactics or not, but they did, what they were hired to do. 
None of us knows if the players had any input into this, or if Benning had to give in or whatewer...  The players are signed now, and that is all that matters. Guess we'll see in 3 years, where EP's loyalty is, but for now he remains a Canuck, and for that I'm really grateful. Give it a few days, and nobody cares how they went about their business. 
So yes found it hard to read some of the comments leading up to it, and while an 8 year contract would have been the perfect world, I don't harbour any animosity towards either party.  
I think JB has knocked this off season straight into the stands... If its true only time will tell, but our team looks miles better now...

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Disagree... 

so JB was going to hang on to all the garbage until they contracts had been signed, before looking at the rest of the team?

Look around and see whats left, and maybe even add more dollars to their contracts...

Benning has to look at the whole picture. If they want to utilize their window, they have to build a team, when the players are a available. This way Benning also showed the agent, what there was left in the pot to sign thise two. 
Thought both camps came out of this on a positive note. The agents did their job. Can be discussed whether we like thair tactics or not, but they did, what they were hired to do. 
None of us knows if the players had any input into this, or if Benning had to give in or whatewer...  The players are signed now, and that is all that matters. Guess we'll see in 3 years, where EP's loyalty is, but for now he remains a Canuck, and for that I'm really grateful. Give it a few days, and nobody cares how they went about their business. 
So yes found it hard to read some of the comments leading up to it, and while an 8 year contract would have been the perfect world, I don't harbour any animosity towards either party.  
I think JB has knocked this off season straight into the stands... If its true only time will tell, but our team looks miles better now...

Pretty much how i feel too.   Agents do their job, and a bright light is by those two working with the same agent, offer sheets probably became even a riskier proposition for other teams compared to if they still kept separate ones (on EP).   Maybe QHs was done a long time ago, but out of respect for the process, it wasn't announced.    Who knows but seems reasonable at least that these two also kept that in mind to keep the team intact.    Some of the pretend offer sheets were pretty out there.   We'd have to trade a guy to match.     In the end the deals got done, without any improvement EP offers fair value,  QHs however is the big winner so far, but can also live up to his deal too.      They both just become very rich young men and i'm sure are happy to be back in Vancouver and working with the guys to open the window this season.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Pretty much how i feel too.   Agents do their job, and a bright light is by those two working with the same agent, offer sheets probably became even a riskier proposition for other teams compared to if they still kept separate ones (on EP).   Maybe QHs was done a long time ago, but out of respect for the process, it wasn't announced.    Who knows but seems reasonable at least that these two also kept that in mind to keep the team intact.    Some of the pretend offer sheets were pretty out there.   We'd have to trade a guy to match.     In the end the deals got done, without any improvement EP offers fair value,  QHs however is the big winner so far, but can also live up to his deal too.      They both just become very rich young men and i'm sure are happy to be back in Vancouver and working with the guys to open the window this season.    

Spot on bud, spot on.... everyones a winner now. 
I'm just so damn happy it got done, and in a world of cap, taxes and crap, we can all now sit back and see how it unfolds. They have at least a 3 years window to fight it out, and likely an even longer one, so even if it doesn't work this season, we got time to smash it in the years following. 
More important, every year we hear the same $&!#e about JB not being able to sign this and that, and he'll be over the cap bla bla bla... from where I sit in the cheap seats it does however look as if he is doing rather good. Year in and year out he improves the team and balanced the sheet, while getting next to nothing but moaning Wan**** complaining about everthing between heaven and earth, only to find another angle, when it gets shot down. 

All hail Jim Benning for the job he's done in Vancouver... is it perfect? No, but its a hell of a lot better than most of the halfwits moaning about him could, can or will ever be able to do. 
Benning will get the sack some day.. its as certain as raxes and death, but this will definitely not be now, and pending on how they do this year, he'll be getting lots of votes in the GM of the year awards. Guaranteed. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Spot on bud, spot on.... everyones a winner now. 
I'm just so damn happy it got done, and in a world of cap, taxes and crap, we can all now sit back and see how it unfolds. They have at least a 3 years window to fight it out, and likely an even longer one, so even if it doesn't work this season, we got time to smash it in the years following. 
More important, every year we hear the same $&!#e about JB not being able to sign this and that, and he'll be over the cap bla bla bla... from where I sit in the cheap seats it does however look as if he is doing rather good. Year in and year out he improves the team and balanced the sheet, while getting next to nothing but moaning Wan**** complaining about everthing between heaven and earth, only to find another angle, when it gets shot down. 

All hail Jim Benning for the job he's done in Vancouver... is it perfect? No, but its a hell of a lot better than most of the halfwits moaning about him could, can or will ever be able to do. 
Benning will get the sack some day.. its as certain as raxes and death, but this will definitely not be now, and pending on how they do this year, he'll be getting lots of votes in the GM of the year awards. Guaranteed. 

JB has a chance now to cement a nice legacy.    This was always going to be a long haul, longer if we took a more traditional route but figure it was a good compromise given the 32 league team we follow.   Two more years of tanking for sure held the risk of just sucking like Buffalo and CAR did - or blowing a tire like EDM did with all their high picks.   JT Miller, Myers signing and the wizardry around the LE/OEL/Garland trade cap dump all have the feel of advancement.   TG did wonders with post Sedin plus one and two major upgrades.   Now he's got a core that for sure has been identified to work with, cheaper and better support players.    Don't mind losing a couple pre-season games to teams who iced their A team and close to A team.   Stoked Gadjovich was protected and that he's looking like a legit NHL player.  

Going to say this too.   It could take 10-20 games to get a groove going.    We aren't going to be dominate from the start.    Maybe even blown out a game or two.   Not that worried either.    All this team needs to do, is avoid Vegas in the first round.   EDM for sure is our biggest competition and well CAL isn't far behind.   Think they can do it.    Once we make the show - BUBBLE DEMKO... that's all we need to win a cup with the rest of our crew this year.   Demko is for sure, our most important player.   

Edit:  We make the top two in our division ... and we win a series or two, JB for sure is getting some major props next off season.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

or he correctly predicted that they would hold out and assembled what he could.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

JB has a chance now to cement a nice legacy.    This was always going to be a long haul, longer if we took a more traditional route but figure it was a good compromise given the 32 league team we follow.   Two more years of tanking for sure held the risk of just sucking like Buffalo and CAR did - or blowing a tire like EDM did with all their high picks.   JT Miller, Myers signing and the wizardry around the LE/OEL/Garland trade cap dump all have the feel of advancement.   TG did wonders with post Sedin plus one and two major upgrades.   Now he's got a core that for sure has been identified to work with, cheaper and better support players.    Don't mind losing a couple pre-season games to teams who iced their A team and close to A team.   Stoked Gadjovich was protected and that he's looking like a legit NHL player.  

Going to say this too.   It could take 10-20 games to get a groove going.    We aren't going to be dominate from the start.    Maybe even blown out a game or two.   Not that worried either.    All this team needs to do, is avoid Vegas in the first round.   EDM for sure is our biggest competition and well CAL isn't far behind.   Think they can do it.    Once we make the show - BUBBLE DEMKO... that's all we need to win a cup with the rest of our crew this year.   Demko is for sure, our most important player.   

Edit:  We make the top two in our division ... and we win a series or two, JB for sure is getting some major props next off season.  

Yep... think its also important to push on now, than wait for MAYBE another draft pick going through to be a star... Bo and Miller, Maybe even Boeser all wanna see progress as none of them are getting any younger... as Petey said, he wanna win. Think its fair to say it goes for all of them. 
Onwards and upwards... all hail JB