The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

Rate this topic

JM_

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Barry doesn't care about the players being with their teams, building relationships and fighting for a common goal. He only cares about getting as much for the players, so he gets paid as much as possible. I blame this idiot for causing disruption in the Canucks season. 

but i also blame the players for going along with it.

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm curious where people stand on this.

For me, I blame Barry for being willing to create a lot of potential animosity with his hardball tactics. I don't blame the kids at all, its a massive decision that very few people of that age could handle on their own.

But i also get that people don't like the situation and could be causing people to sour on the kids. Curious what the split on this is.

JP Barry has absolutely no bearing on this. Pat Brisson is who the agency’s website shows to be representing these two. Looking at his clients it looks like there’s NO team friendly deals. 

So if you’ve got Brisson as an agent, you’re trying to soak your team for every single dollar you can get. Says something about any player who has him to begin with. 

in JP Barry’s stable there is lots of team friendly contracts... I wish they had Barry and I bet it would be done. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe waiting for Hamonic to decide (tomorrow) whether he’s going to play this season, so there’s an extra 3 mil to buy more UFA years?

Brisson don’t work like that. He’d be waiting to see if they could get Elias up to 10 million/season and Hughes up to 8 million. :(

• Wat 1

Agents are blood sucking creatures by nature they don’t care about anything or anyone except making their client the most amount of money possible, which is their job.

But agents aren’t athletes and don’t care if their client misses games and have a rough start that affects the team and the relationship between the player and the team, fans and city. As long as they get their cut and the client gets what he’s “worth” they win. 

canucks fans are just taking this a little too personally and haven’t been through a negotiation with young superstars like this…ever? 

but they’ll be signed once they have clarity on hamonic so everyone can relax 

• Cheers 1

I don't think it is so much greed driven  - by players or agent  -  as it is ego driven.  One "insider", whether factual or speculation, commented that the divergence was not on term or amount,  but on comparables.

Pettersson was Sweden's Golden player of the year, our rookie of the year,  and has been compared to Gretzky,  Datsyuk and several more HoF'ers.  I suspect he has suggested to Barry that he is on a par with Matthews, Toews, Kopitar, Eichel etc and wants to be recognized as such and paid accordingly 

With Hughes, he has seen all the hype  -  some put out by Canucks themselves -  about his points records, seeing charts with him in the same conversations as Coffey, Bourque, Leetch, etc and again, wants to be paid commensurate with that lofty position

I dont think being paid $64M or $84M matters much to these two, but rather the peer acceptance as evidenced by the contracts they sign.

Edited by Googlie

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

but i also blame the players for going along with it.

Holdouts like this are fairly common but I'm not sure I would always blame the players.  As slimy as the work of agents can seem, it's also an arguably important role even if there are obviously self-interest driven incentives for agents to provide certain advice to their clients.  Ownership and management of teams have significant interests as well that could take advantage of players.  If every player took a "team first mentality" and was willing to play for less money, then a question would be how much less?  What is fair in that situation?  There's no universally agreed upon formula for the fair allocation of money throughout a line up within a cap world. 

Players obviously want to ensure that they can make as much money as possible.  Everyone has a risk of losing their ability to obtain a livelihood but professional athletes in particular have very short career windows and have work that, on any given night, could result in the loss of their ability to earn a living.  I know there are many other jobs in the world that are paid far less where people face similar risks of losing their ability to earn a living, but I have to assume that it is a part of the psyche behind player negotiations.

In an ideal world, teams would treat their players fairly but what is "fair" can actually be very hard to pin down and teams, from management to ownership, can be just as slimy (or perceived that way) as agents in how they treat their players.  It's counter productive but trust is hard earned and easy to lose on both sides of the equation.  Having honest and frank discussion, often with the help of an agent, can be helpful with keeping at least a baseline level of trust provided of course that the agent truthfully represents the player's interests and truthfully advises them about what their situation is.

Part of the problem, I think, is that what is "fair" is directly impacted by perceptions from the general market and the market for young players of Hughes' and Pettersson's calibre, especally this summer, has been insane.  If Pettersson and Hughes are asking for +$10M each and are not budging, then I can understand where they are coming from based on what they see around the league, but I would also have concerns that maybe there's a bit too much self interest there.  Judging from comments on Canucks.com over the last few months, I think most Canucks fans would be feel that around $8M for each of Pettersson and Hughes is probably acceptable based on current market conditions.  There's obviously also the issue of term but that just highlights how complex the issue is.

2 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I think the thing that’ll become clear is that we’ll be losing 1 of Boeser, Horvat Miller and Probably either Podkolzin or Hoglander if both Hughes and Pettersson sign long term deals for $$$$$.

This way always going to happen regardless , all are due for raises. 

Yes, I blame the players. We have $16 million in cap, they have the same agent. It is all up to them as to how they want to split the money.

Since they are asking more money then there is, then good riddance. Trade them for Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin. Let's see how they like playing there.

27 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I don't think it is so much greed driven  - by players or agent  -  as it is ego driven.  One "insider", whether factual or speculation, commented that the divergence was not on term or amount,  but on comparables.

Pettersson was Sweden's Golden player of the year, our rookie of the year,  and has been compared to Gretzky,  Datsyuk and several more HoF'ers.  I suspect he has suggested to Barry that he is on a par with Matthews, Toews, Kopitar, Eichel etc and wants to be recognized as such and paid accordingly 

With Hughes, he has seen all the hype  -  some put out by Canucks themselves -  about his points records, seeing charts with him in the same conversations as Coffey, Bourque, Leetch, etc and again, wants to be paid commensurate with that lofty position

I dont think being paid $64M or $84M matters much to these two, but rather the peer acceptance as evidenced by the contracts they sign.

If that’s the case then don’t expect Pettersson so sign below 11-12/year and Expect Hughes to hold out for 9/year.

22 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I think the thing that’ll become clear is that we’ll be losing 1 of Boeser, Horvat Miller and Probably either Podkolzin or Hoglander if both Hughes and Pettersson sign long term deals for $$$$$.

They better not throw another hissyfit then if we lose more players due to them demanding the bag.

Edited by McBackup
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

Yes, it’s sad to have to pick, but I’d probably lose Boeser first as he’s slow foot speed wise. 

Brock has been getting faster since his comeback season last year , and from training camp looks foot speed and quickness improved yet again.  Will put up 35 plus this year imo, and been one of the best young wingers in the league . Plus that dynamite shot, being one of bennings picks and peteys best friend , can't see it. Miller will be the odd man out which is unfortunate, I really like his game but out of all those I think it would have to be miller taking age into account as well . 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

People are giving the agents too much credit.

Who pays the agent?
Who signs the actual contract at the end of the day? 
Who is working for who?

Petey and Quinn hold all the cards. 
They could have signed a long time ago if they wanted.    
They are driving the boat, and they are the ones holding out for more money.  

They are also unproven and haven’t actually earned the numbers they are asking for/will get. 

I'm going to give a young athlete more of the benefit of the doubt than a subhuman dirtbag who makes his living by being a worthless parasite.

• Wat 1