The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

Rate this topic

JM_

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Maybe waiting for Hamonic to decide (tomorrow) whether he’s going to play this season, so there’s an extra 3 mil to buy more UFA years?

43 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

Brisson don’t work like that. He’d be waiting to see if they could get Elias up to 10 million/season and Hughes up to 8 million. :(

Ummm what? Isn't that exactly what he said? :lol:

• Haha 1

Yes - those two players forming their own little 'bloc' for negotiating leverage was a dick move.  They're not the Sedins - as actual brothers with parallel careers - they 'created' their own little union as it were to put undue pressure on the team by having them BOTH be withholding their services and damaging the team.  On their own each, as they should be, they would not have had such an impact.  There is no natural affinity between these two to justify forming this 'bloc' for leveraging against the team's success.  Dick move. 

• Cheers 2

Not going to let negotiations color my opinion of the players.

Benning has been very good with RFA contracts outside of Sutter and that was a long time ago (well, that and Jake).  

It is the UFAs he has been off the rails for.

Just hope it gets done soon and ideally Pettey is locked up long term.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm going to give a young athlete more of the benefit of the doubt than a subhuman dirtbag who makes his living by being a worthless parasite.

We get it. You really hate the agent. Enough, this is getting creepy.

• Haha 1

Just now, McBackup said:

We get it. You really hate the agent. Enough, this is getting creepy.

There's a very simple solution.  Until that happens, I'll continue calling out any loser who is actively trying to sabotage the Canucks.  Making it clear that the fanbase doesn't tolerate this garbage from Barry is the least we can do.

• Wat 1

It has. I don't expect young athletes to negotiate their own deals, and agents are going to agent, but they knew who they were signing up with. Didn't Petey specifically change agents? The agent doesn't hold all the cards here, if the guys had wanted to sign by now they would have, they don't get a free pass. Them seemingly trying to take us for everything they can get sucks, but I understand it's also the business. Just doesn't bode well for the future as we've other guys we'll need to retain.

25 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Voted "Other". Agents are going to agent. Its their job.

What has affected my opinion on the two have been the way they've gone about this. Petey joining up with Hughes so they can mutually hammer the team, plus some of the comments that have been made over the summer. I still want them to sign and get to hockey and just put all this all in the past, but its definitely soured my opinion on them a fair amount. 

And then there's this. How they've gone about it, essentially holding the team hostage, is a scummy way to do business. Vancouver's fans and organization have by and large been pretty supportive of both, but the longer this drags on the more tainted people's view of them is likely to become. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

People are giving the agents too much credit.

Who pays the agent?
Who signs the actual contract at the end of the day? 
Who is working for who?

Petey and Quinn hold all the cards. 
They could have signed a long time ago if they wanted.    
They are driving the boat, and they are the ones holding out for more money.  

They are also unproven and haven’t actually earned the numbers they are asking for/will get. 

I pretty much agree with everyone at this point....it's tough to say who's to blame but at the end of the day, the Canucks have a short-term cap issue and these two guys are just shy of showing that they worth the money I think they're looking for.  A bridge deal makes so much sense to me......it would support the Canucks through the next 2-3 years and it would provide the opportunity for EP and QH to substantiate the money they're looking for.  Finally, it would give EP and QH to hit the big cash that they would deserve before UFAs.  Some would argue that this would be too expensive over the long term but I like the idea of having this insurance.

So who's to blame, everyone of course.  But EP and QH do have the ability to tell their agent to ensure there's a deal in place before camp rather than hanging out in Michigan knowing this will take time.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

There's a very simple solution.  Until that happens, I'll continue calling out any loser who is actively trying to sabotage the Canucks.  Making it clear that the fanbase doesn't tolerate this garbage from Barry is the least we can do.

Barry’s only Clients on the Canuck’s are Myers and Woo. So why are you so mad at him??

• Thanks 1

There's a difference between "calling out" someone and obsessively fantasizing about their anguish and death over and over again. There are a multiple people you could do this about but you've pinpointed him and spamming it on this board doesn't actually do anything. Its psychopathic.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Part of the game, happens to every teams and good player/character too.  In the end it'll all get done and everyone will be happy.

I believe this year is probably a hard one to negotiate.  I think the "Covid" effect on salary freeze was last year.  GMs (including JB) are probably banking on getting better deal this year because of it, but agents are probably arguing that it's in the past and the reversal has started.   But when guys like Jones, Nurse and Werenski signs crazy deals, can't blame their agents for aiming higher.

Crosby.

I dunno about that, I'm almost more inclined to chalk that up to Crosby being superstitious. Dude's had the same cap hit since 08-09 across multiple contracts. It'll be seventeen years of 8.7 when his contract expires. 

I'd say he's an anomaly. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, McBackup said:

There's a difference between "calling out" someone and obsessively fantasizing about their anguish and death over and over again. There are a multiple people you could do this about but you've pinpointed him and spamming it on this board doesn't actually do anything. Its psychopathic.

And instead of an actual rebuttal, your complaining about what I said also does nothing.  We're done here.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I'm curious where people stand on this.

For me, I blame Barry for being willing to create a lot of potential animosity with his hardball tactics. I don't blame the kids at all, its a massive decision that very few people of that age could handle on their own.

But i also get that people don't like the situation and could be causing people to sour on the kids. Curious what the split on this is.

How do you know he has "hardball tactics?".    He is doing his job as is the Canuck management team.   I suspect this agent has the best interest of his clients in mind and feels the Canucks have more to offer and the Canucks likely feel he needs to bend a bit on some issues - it is negotiations 101 and unless you are in the room there is zero evidence any side is being "hardball".    Two elite players do not need training camp to be fit or prepared.   Other players know this is a business and have seen it across the league many times and I doesn't likely bother them at all other than good curiosity shower discussion.   The churn about this in the fanbase feeds the media machine which some seem to love and live for but it really is just noise.    This comes down to whether these two players WANT to be with this team - if they do, a deal will get done in due course.   If they do not, modern NHL world is such you can use the contractual process to effect a move.   I have seen zero evidence that either player wants to be anywhere else than a winning Vancouver organization and fully understand that the "winning" part of that includes their presence for certain.    

4 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

That’s Superstition on the players part. #87.... 8.7 million. And that deal was made when the ceiling was 9.5. So yes it saved Pittsburgh 1 million/season, but it’s not like they signed crosby to 8.7 when the ceiling was 13 million/year

If there was ever a player who deserved the max, it was Crosby though.  A million is realistically what teams should hope for as far as discounts go barring extenuating circumstances.

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I was starting to feel a little disillusioned after Jack's comments...mostly because they offended me (but let's not unravel that tangled ball of yarn again).

I blame no one...this is just part of negotiating and these two are top prospects turned players with lots of promise whose agent knows the biz.  He's going for all he can get for them and it's a bit of a tug of war and probably not based in or warranting ill feelings.

It'll get done soon enough.  If not, then we can dissect the why's and who's of it all.  

I can't turn on my team and it's easy to hate the agent (player) but it's just part of the game.

I've kind of let go of the "waiting" deal to focus on what is happening rather than what isn't.  Stoked to have preseason games underway.  While they make it glaring that they're NOT in the line up, it's also exciting to see the new guys and think about when they DO join them.

Jack’s comments, Atleast in my opinion, should qualify as some kind of tampering.  I get the feeling that New Jersey has already resorted to indirect guerrilla warfare tactics in order to pry Quinn from us.  I would not be surprised in the very least if the Devils encouraged Jack to speak about the subject.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And instead of an actual rebuttal, your complaining about what I said also does nothing.  We're done here.

There was a rebuttal. You're too busy rubbing your nipples to the thought of a man you've never met in agony to even recognize it. 

Edited by McBackup
  • Haha 1