The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

Rate this topic

JM_

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Not sure why we'd blame kids for how their agent is (rightfully) negotiating for their fair market value.

Fact of the matter is, it's part of the negotiation process, the players and agent will seek to leverage market comparables (Kaprizov/ Makar/ Heiskanen in this case) while the team needs to factor in its cap space and future roster feasibility.  It's business being done and you don't hate the other side for being "difficult" when each side seeks what it wants (unless you're Loui Player Name asking for Connor McDavid money).

EDIT: lol just realized Player Name gets autocorrected to "He Who Must Not Be Named"

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

If there was ever a player who deserved the max, it was Crosby though.  A million is realistically what teams should hope for as far as discounts go barring extenuating circumstances.

Yes okay, but out of 54 contracts... Crosby is the only one that you could possibly even argue is team friendly. 
BRISSON(not BARRY... who you keep ranting about) is the one representing a Hughes and Petey, and he’s the worst leech in North American sports. 

18 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

That’s Superstition on the players part. #87.... 8.7 million. And that deal was made when the ceiling was 9.5. So yes it saved Pittsburgh 1 million/season, but it’s not like they signed crosby to 8.7 when the ceiling was 13 million/year

$4.0m and $.4.3 seem fair to me. Obviously Gretzky deserved the most. B)

• Thanks 1

Just now, McBackup said:

You're in no position to tell anyone to grow up when you've been spamming this board with sadistic fantasies over someone like an obsessive jilted high schooler. 

And yet I have the maturity to not resort to personal attacks.  Put me on ignore if my opinion offends you that much.

Just now, Ohthehumanity said:

Brock is entering his prime now. He looks quick and slick in traffic and can rip a puck better than ever. I for one would not like to lose Brock. 

Me neither, but if Brock has another good season and comes in at a high cap hit, we may not have a choice, especially if the team caves and hands Petey or Quinn the moon. There will only be so much cap, and we still are in need of rebuilding the right side of our D.

14 minutes ago, BarefootBob said:

Yes - those two players forming their own little 'bloc' for negotiating leverage was a dick move.  They're not the Sedins - as actual brothers with parallel careers - they 'created' their own little union as it were to put undue pressure on the team by having them BOTH be withholding their services and damaging the team.  On their own each, as they should be, they would not have had such an impact.  There is no natural affinity between these two to justify forming this 'bloc' for leveraging against the team's success.  Dick move. 

Context is everything.

Prior, he was represented by Michael Deutsch, who has only 3 NHL players in his stable (he is primarily an NBA players' agent) - 2 Swedes and a Czech.  Vegas's Karlsson is his marquee NHL client (who recommended Deutsch to EP)

There's not much negotiating to be done with an ELC contract, so it is hardly surprising that he would want to be represented by one of the best and most knowledgeable agents for what to date is his biggest life decision.  And who better than Barry and Brisson, who represent Crosby, Kane, Toews, Matthew's, Barzall, and, yes, LE21

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And yet I have the maturity to not resort to personal attacks.  Put me on ignore if my opinion offends you that much.

Lmao you told me to "grow up" and have made a disturbing number of comments about how you want a specific person to suffer and die. But yes you're not resorting to "personal attacks", you've got the high ground here.

Some agents (definitely this one) are in this purely to maximize their own payday. The analogy to parasitic realtors being a big part of housing no longer being affordable is a good one.

I've been critical of Benning before, but I am putting most of the blame for this on the players' side. We don't know what has been tabled of course, but I am pretty sure some form of an offer that includes 8m/yr for Hughes or 9m/yr for Petey has been put out there and rejected. 

I don't think these players should expect to be among the highest paid in the league at this point, but I'm starting to think that's where we're at.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How do you know he has "hardball tactics?".    He is doing his job as is the Canuck management team.   I suspect this agent has the best interest of his clients in mind and feels the Canucks have more to offer and the Canucks likely feel he needs to bend a bit on some issues - it is negotiations 101 and unless you are in the room there is zero evidence any side is being "hardball".    Two elite players do not need training camp to be fit or prepared.   Other players know this is a business and have seen it across the league many times and I doesn't likely bother them at all other than good curiosity shower discussion.   The churn about this in the fanbase feeds the media machine which some seem to love and live for but it really is just noise.    This comes down to whether these two players WANT to be with this team - if they do, a deal will get done in due course.   If they do not, modern NHL world is such you can use the contractual process to effect a move.   I have seen zero evidence that either player wants to be anywhere else than a winning Vancouver organization and fully understand that the "winning" part of that includes their presence for certain.    

they did last year because they started slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Those two need pre-season.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'm curious where people stand on this.

For me, I blame Barry for being willing to create a lot of potential animosity with his hardball tactics. I don't blame the kids at all, its a massive decision that very few people of that age could handle on their own.

But i also get that people don't like the situation and could be causing people to sour on the kids. Curious what the split on this is.

Great question Jim

I don't blame anyone yet, it is just part of the process

IMO, JB might have just as much to do with this as the other side

There is plenty of time to get this deal done and get the guys into camp. I am sure they are skating.

Sit back and pass the popcorn!

• Cheers 1

Like some have said, I will be upset with the players if they miss the regular season. At the end of the day the agent works for the players and must do what the players say.

Also would like to say Barry has been a historical scumbag in bleeding team cap space dry with little concern of the overall team future. This is fine for the cap floor teams but terrible for cap ceiling teams like ours that keep trying to build a championship team.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

You want creepy, go check out this guy's comments on Player Name. Very quick and willing to dehumanize.

There's definitely a line between criticizing a player's play, even harshly, and attacking them as a person. 

For example, I think someone is totally in the right to call Gudbranson for example a pylon and waste of a roster spot. When they start saying things like they're worthless people and a waste of life, that I don't understand.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1