The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes

Just now, BigTramFan said:

Cool, but we won't be banking any cap space through the season with Ferland being on LTIR, so any additions at TDL would also require a subtraction of someone on the roster or another player on LTIR until the playoffs start.

My assumption is that Hamonic will play as his contract fits quite nicely with the amount of space we can use for LTIR. I'm saying that if he does return, then we can save that asset(s) to bolster our lineup down the road.

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Do the Canucks have what it takes to be a contender by year 3?

Gives me good vibes for what's to come. 

I think our lineup is pretty much good enough to contend now (if everyone clicks). Two young star players signed for relatively cheap to allow for depth on the roster. A lot rides on Hughes playing like a #1 dman that he's paid to be right now though.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

My assumption is that Hamonic will play as his contract fits quite nicely with the amount of space we can use for LTIR. I'm saying that if he does return, then we can save that asset(s) to bolster our lineup down the road.

Yep I get that, and that would be great, but I am merely suggesting we will have fa cap space at the TDL to add a player that bolsters our lineup (unless we have another player on LTIR at that point whom will not be cleared to play until the playoffs start, which is a possibility).

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think our lineup is pretty much good enough to contend now (if everyone clicks). Two young star players signed for relatively cheap to allow for depth on the roster. A lot rides on Hughes playing like a #1 dman that he's paid to be right now though.

I'm hoping for them to really gel this year. I think Boeser, Horvat Miller will want to be a part of this ride

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Pettersson at 7.35 is a lot more reasonable than the the 7.7+ for a bridge that was being bandied about.

The Hughes contract we'll see, it has the potential to be an absolute steal or an overpay depending on how well he's able to rebuild his defensive game, but I have confidence Quinn will figure it out.

Overall I'm excited. 

• Like 1

I know it's only for 3 years, but I feel 7.35aav for Petey is a very good deal for us. It's about as low as any of us could have realistically hoped, I think. (And lower than the 7.75 reported yesterday). Kudos to Petey for accepting that amount rather than drag this on for another half mil. He's gonna get *paid* in three years, and I'm sure that fact wasn't lost on him.

For Hughes, I do think it is *slightly* high, but not bad. More than a million less than Makar - though his defensive acumen isn't likely as strong as Makar's. (Last season, it wasn't even close). I would have preferred to see around 7 over 6 years, but whatever. It's done. 

Let's play some hockey.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm hoping for them to really gel this year. I think Boeser, Horvat Miller will want to be a part of this ride

All we know is the time is now. I don't think there is anymore waiting. We have gone all in when we traded the 9th overall and shed all of the dead weight.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Dubas was heard on this call saying "I would have offered $10M AAV and not a penny less, JB and the Canucks will have room to sign other players moving forward - where is the fun challenge in that?"

spacer.png

This whole RFA shenanigans started with this Du(m)bas.  In my line of work you have to work two years above your level to get a level change this guy gives you two for free 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yep I get that, and that would be great, but I am merely suggesting we will have fa cap space at the TDL to add a player that bolsters our lineup (unless we have another player on LTIR at that point whom will not be cleared to play until the playoffs start, which is a possibility).

But having the assets to be able to used during a time when we may need to bolster the lineup (eg to cover an injury or what not) is better than needing to waste one now and then finding more troubles down the road.