The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Vancouver @ Calgary Friday, Oct. 1/21 6:00 PM PST

Rate this topic

-AJ-

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

We had guys like Vesey, Boyd, Chatfield, etc playing regularly last year, not to mention several ineffective or injured vets like Beagle, Roussel, Player Name. In most cases further up the lineup than any of the bubble guys would be. 

There are very few on that lineup list I would not rather have than guys like those.

I understand your point and don’t disagree about the talent level but you are really missing mine. Even with a bunch of AHL players, it does not change the way the coach wants the team to play offensively and defensively. And so far the limitations of Green and Baumgartner in sticking with last years style has largely shone through.

I hope you are right and the underlying systems and style will miraculously change on a fundamental level once it’s a more set lineup. Not sure I have ever really seen that happen in an NHL preseason to the extent it would need to but I don’t think we are even arguing opposite points. We are arguing different points altogether.

Vesey played 20 games, Boyd 19 games and Chatfield 18 games. All less games played than Petey individually. Altogether they averaged 19 games, roughly playing 1/3 of the games last season. They weren’t really regulars in the grand scheme of things. We just saw them a lot more later into the year due to injuries and trades. 

I don’t think that lineup last night would match up well against last years lineup of players who have played 50% of the games or more if we are gonna go with what’s the most concrete lineup we had last year based off of games played. We’d even be playing with 11 forwards with only 50% or more of the games played roster and I would still like that lineups chances. If you added the next highest games played player to even it out it would be Petey. 

You’re looking at players like Hughes, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Hog, Pearson, Myers, Schmidt, Benn, Hamonic, Edler. They’d be facing a defense alone that consists of Myers, Rathbone, OJ, Hunt, Schenn and Burroughs. 

I never claimed that it will show change for the better with a more complete lineup. I have emphasized the fact that I am incapable of knowing whether or not that there are any changes with the system due to the fact that we haven’t seen a more complete lineup play. I have literally stated and implied I am staying neutral until we see a full roster in action and then I will judge accordingly. I am not afraid to be critical of JB, Green, the other coaches or the players if I see reason to. I was last year and I haven’t changed now. 

IMO the lineup we had was incapable of playing a system because they were not good enough to as a unit vs the level of talent they played against. They were overwhelmed, outmatched and outclassed. 

That’s why we should be seeing some cuts right now IMO. 

That’s where we differ in opinion. I see the difference in talent as the most influential factor in that game.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Vesey played 20 games, Boyd 19 games and Chatfield 18 games. All less games played than Petey individually. Altogether they averaged 19 games, roughly playing 1/3 of the games last season. They weren’t really regulars in the grand scheme of things. We just saw them a lot more later into the year due to injuries and trades. 

I don’t think that lineup last night would match up well against last years lineup of players who have played 50% of the games or more if we are gonna go with what’s the most concrete lineup we had last year based off of games played. We’d even be playing with 11 forwards with only 50% or more of the games played roster and I would still like that lineups chances. If you added the next highest games played player to even it out it would be Petey. 

You’re looking at Hughes, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Hog, Pearson, Myers, Schmidt, Benn, Hamonic, Edler and marginally better players at the bottom 6. They’d be facing a defense alone that consists of Myers, Rathbone, OJ, Hunt, Schenn and Burroughs. 

I never claimed that it will show change for the better with a more complete lineup. I have emphasized the fact that I am incapable of knowing whether or not that there are any changes with the system due to the fact that we haven’t seen a more complete lineup play. I have literally stated and implied I am staying neutral until we see a full roster in action and then I will judge accordingly. I am not afraid to be critical of JB, Green, the other coaches or the players if I see reason to. I was last year and I haven’t changed now. 

IMO the lineup we had was incapable of playing a system because they were not good enough to as a unit vs the level of talent they played against. They were overwhelmed, outmatched and outclassed. 

That’s why we should be seeing some cuts right now IMO. 

That’s where we differ in opinion. I see the difference in talent as the most influential factor in that game.

We should have seen all 3 of those players in 0 games. If the cap hadn’t been messed up we wouldn’t have. 

I am not in a frenzy over it. If the Canucks play like crap this year it will upset me as a fan but has no bearing on my enjoyment of hockey or the team. I just see it as wasted years of some pretty damn good players.

All I am saying is there is a difference between the systems and style and the execution of them by inferior players. We saw last year how our regulars performed with the same style and systems that are still in place. It was ugly for the most part. Now we actually have a much better team. No need to play the safe “hang on so you don’t get shelled” hockey anymore