Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finishing touches (proposals)


Recommended Posts

To VAN: Derek Grant

To ANA: Highmore + MacEwen + 2020 6th round pick

 

ANA get younger and get multiple bottom 6 options with MH and ZM (both RFAs next season). VAN gets a reliable 4C with size, Sutter appears to be out indefinitely.

 

To SEA: 2020 3rd round pick (from WPG) + Brisebois

To VAN: Jeremy Lauzon

 

SEA have too many Dmen for their NHL roster. They get a decent AHL Dman in Brisebois and a 3rd round pick to build for their future. VAN gets insurance for Hamonic potentially missing games (Lauzon can play LD/RD with equal skill) and a very good PKer. Rathbone plays in the AHL to develop his game and is first call up.

 

Our NHL roster becomes:

 

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Gadjovich Grant Lockwood

(Di Giuseppe)

 

OEL Poolman

Hughes Hamonic

Lauzon Myers

(Juolevi Schenn)

 

Demko (Halak)

 

LTIR: Motte, Sutter, Ferland

 

Cap space (LTIR relief) remaining = $1.19m

 

Thoughts?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Anaheim deal you’re giving a couple AHL tweener a for an NHL’r. They’d probably prefer a higher pick than minors fodder.  
 

The Seattle deal you’re sending them a waivers eligible D and a pick for a much better waivers eligible D.  If they move him I think the return needs to include someone different.  It doesn’t really solve their problem other than getting a worse player back 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

The Anaheim deal you’re giving a couple AHL tweener a for an NHL’r. They’d probably prefer a higher pick than minors fodder.  
 

The Seattle deal you’re sending them a waivers eligible D and a pick for a much better waivers eligible D.  If they move him I think the return needs to include someone different.  It doesn’t really solve their problem other than getting a worse player back 

Cheers for the feedback.

 

In my opinion Highmore is a genuine NHLer and MacEwen has potential to be a fulltime 4th line NHL player. Both are 25, on cheap contracts, and will still be RFAs next season. They are a decent return on Grant in his last season under contract. ANA are going through a mini rebuild so I thought they might bite on some kind of return for Grant. They have 4 other centers in Getzlaf, Zegras, Henrique and Steel, plus C depth in Terry and adding Highmore and MacEwen. I would consider switching Highmore for Motte in the trade if that makes any difference to ANA, but Motte is UFA next season, so not sure where ANA would sit with that offer.

 

Seattle don't really have a problem to solve with Lauzon. He's just an extra on their roster right now. Makes sense to me to turn him into a pick, i.e. the 3rd round pick is the main return for Lauzon. The addition of Brisebois is just to replace a LD on their AHL affiliate with the loss of Lauzon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Cheers for the feedback.

 

In my opinion Highmore is a genuine NHLer and MacEwen has potential to be a fulltime 4th line NHL player. Both are 25, on cheap contracts, and will still be RFAs next season. They are a decent return on Grant in his last season under contract. ANA are going through a mini rebuild so I thought they might bite on some kind of return for Grant. They have 4 other centers in Getzlaf, Zegras, Henrique and Steel, plus C depth in Terry and adding Highmore and MacEwen. I would consider switching Highmore for Motte in the trade if that makes any difference to ANA, but Motte is UFA next season, so not sure where ANA would sit with that offer.

 

Seattle don't really have a problem to solve with Lauzon. He's just an extra on their roster right now. Makes sense to me to turn him into a pick, i.e. the 3rd round pick is the main return for Lauzon. The addition of Brisebois is just to replace a LD on their AHL affiliate with the loss of Lauzon. 

Maybe once Brisebois clears waivers it’s something they consider. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd do some if not all of the first trade (4th line C might be a need if Sutter is out) but not the second.  We already have Brad Hunt who's a capable 3rd pair LD (never been demoted to the AHL before) and Juolevi still may earn a spot (plus Rathbone would be the ace in the AHL).  I'm against shelling out another pick for a position which isn't really one of need.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd do some if not all of the first trade (4th line C might be a need if Sutter is out) but not the second.  We already have Brad Hunt who's a capable 3rd pair LD (never been demoted to the AHL before) and Juolevi still may earn a spot (plus Rathbone would be the ace in the AHL).  I'm against shelling out another pick for a position which isn't really one of need.

Thanks for the thoughts Phil. Yeah I don't want to shell out another pick for nothing either, but the main point of getting Lauzon is actually to give us cover for the LD and RD position, which he is more than adept at playing. He is still only 24 and could have a very bright future with VAN playing RD 5v5 and then playing PK as a LD, so I think there is a potential long term fit (I would kinda think of him as that young NHL-ready RD that we really don't have in our system right now). He is also capable of playing 2nd or 3rd pairing (avg'ed 18:43 mins/game last season), and I would prefer him on our roster over Hunt as his defense is very good and he plays a lot of PK minutes (and does it well) whereas Hunt does not PK. Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd do some if not all of the first trade (4th line C might be a need if Sutter is out) but not the second.  We already have Brad Hunt who's a capable 3rd pair LD (never been demoted to the AHL before) and Juolevi still may earn a spot (plus Rathbone would be the ace in the AHL).  I'm against shelling out another pick for a position which isn't really one of need.

I was intrigued by your statement that Hunt has never been demoted to the AHL before, because I always had him pegged as a NHL/AHL tweener (although never really paid much attention so looked it up).

 

See below from Capfriendly showing that Hunt has been continuously demoted to the AHL and has been waived a few times to do so. He hasn't been demoted in the last 3 seasons. No question that Hunt is a veteran but he is not a guaranteed NHL player.

Hunt career.JPG

Hunt transactions.JPG

Edited by BigTramFan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...