The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 32 players - Oct. 03, 2021

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Waivers] 32 players - Oct. 03, 2021

VGK cut several waiver eligible players yesterday.  Their training camp roster is down to 29.  Waiting for a better timing to put them on waivers or like yesterday maybe names missing - Mason Geersten wasn't listed on waivers but was claimed by NJD.  

Would love to claim Andy Welinski with Hamonic and Keeper being out. 6’1, 205, smart enough to play up and down the ice in a fill-in role. Former 3rd round pick of Anaheim who was starting to look pretty decent for them a couple years ago and also has three games of playoff experience.

I believe the first round of Canucks waiver wire players will be announced tomorrow after tonight's game.

A few former Canucks on this list: Jalen Chatfield, Brogan Rafferty.

Players of intrigue: Kodie Curran (former SHL MVP in 2019-2020, LD), Cooper Marody (In the 2018-2019, he had 64 points in 58 AHL games, followed that up with 36 points in 39 games in the AHL last year, C -- could be an intriguing pickup if Sutter is out long term), and Sean Day (Granted exceptional status in the OHL, LD, has size but hasn't lived up to potential yet).

Former waiver claim favorites Seth Griffith and Jean Sebastian Dea also make appearances today.

And yikes, Senyshyn on the waiver wire. To think, the Bruins passed on Brock Boeser, Matthew Barzal, Kyle Connor, Ilya Samsonov, Sebastian Aho, and Travis Konecny to pick him. What a blunder.

If the Canucks claim anybody, it'll either be a RD or a C. Don't think they'll pick anybody from this group except for MAYBE Cooper Marody.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I believe the first round of Canucks waiver wire players will be announced tomorrow after tonight's game.

A few former Canucks on this list: Jalen Chatfield, Brogan Rafferty.

Players of intrigue: Kodie Curran (former SHL MVP in 2019-2020, LD), Cooper Marody (In the 2018-2019, he had 64 points in 58 AHL games, followed that up with 36 points in 39 games in the AHL last year, C -- could be an intriguing pickup if Sutter is out long term), and Sean Day (Granted exceptional status in the OHL, LD, has size but hasn't lived up to potential yet).

Former waiver claim favorites Seth Griffith and Jean Sebastian Dea also make appearances today.

And yikes, Senyshyn on the waiver wire. To think, the Bruins passed on Brock Boeser, Matthew Barzal, Kyle Connor, Ilya Samsonov, Sebastian Aho, and Travis Konecny to pick him. What a blunder.

If the Canucks claim anybody, it'll either be a RD or a C. Don't think they'll pick anybody from this group except for MAYBE Cooper Marody.

Good catch on Curran. Don't think Benning will snag him, I think he'll let Hunt get some time with the team instead unless someone really significant is put on waivers. But Curran could be an intriguing lhd pick up if Benning went that route; former teammate of Hoglander in the SHL too.

Interesting to see Sean Day on the list. He is one of 5 OHL players to gain exceptional player status with the likes of Tavaras, McDavid, Ekblad etc.

Looks like if he makes it as a pro in the NHL he still has a very long way to go if he makes it at all.

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Cheers 1

Pontus Aberg might be good as a bottom six option but he's over the hill and replaceable. Brendan Guhle, former second round pick, what's not to like? He's also a lefty though, so unless we lost one of Juolevi and Rathbone, we don't need him. We could use a righty, but I'd rather do it by trade. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Raddysh,  Hudon, and Day... TBL just dumped a who's who of yesteryear potential.  I remember when there was so much hype around these guys.

waiver days are always a good reminder to be wary of hype. PTO's too. I mean look at Vesey, he's a poster boy for this kind of thing.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Raddysh,  Hudon, and Day... TBL just dumped a who's who of yesteryear potential.  I remember when there was so much hype around these guys.

Darren Raddysh went undrafted.  Taylor Raddysh is the 2nd round pick and he's still at camp and making a push to be in the opening night lineup.