The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Josh Archibald out indefinitely due to heart condition

Rate this topic

18 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

First of all, we don't know when this summer he had Covid.  

The 20-30 year old group was the last one to become eligible for vaccines.  

Second of all, it's very sad and pathetic to laugh at people dealing with health issues.  Don't do it, be better then that. 

Not seeing people laughing, simply pointing out the irony of his poor decision making. The fact that anti vaxers were clogging up social media with their conspiracy dribble, and now they are clogging up emergency rooms and negatively affecting the lives and health of others is extremely infuriating. I for one am tired of people flaunting their choice to discredit and disregard the medical field and then turning to them for salvation when they get covid. Archibald should serve as a lesson to anyone still refusing the vaccine. 

6 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Drunk drivers willingly and knowingly go out and drink and drive. People aren’t trying to get sick with COVID. 
Yet another tag and misguided pre disposition this mess has brought on. 
getting sick isn’t a crime. 

Any adult who choses not to get vaccinated, contracts covid and then passes it on to a child who cannot be vaccinated damn well should be charged! That is willingly and knowingly putting their health above those of others. That should be a crime. AND they should have to foot the medical bill. Ignorance is not an excuse sir... or madam

19 hours ago, on the cycle said:

I'm very pro vaccine but no one other than your doctor should be informing you on whether to get vaccinated or which vaccine to use.

Whether we like it or not there are people who have had yet rare as they are major health complications from vaccines because of rare medical conditions. So before we assume someone is dumb or selfish we should ask why they didn't get it.

I encourage everyone who can to get vaccinated but othering, segregating, and mocking people who are anti vaccine or vaccine hesitant isn't going to encourage them to get it, it's just going to make them dig their heels in.

I think the best way is education, transparency, and a bit of compassion.

I remember when Kamala Harris said she wouldn't get the vaccine because they were developed under the Trump administration, people saying these things have sewed mistrust. It's too bad that this pandemic has been soo politicized.

I dont think it is likely the team doctor only told him not to get vaccinated, seems more like a personal choice due to online misinformation. 

58 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Thanks, I’m just so tired of seeing people defend or accept as a personal choice the decision to not get vaccinated and seeing those who’ve done everything even if it means negatively effecting themselves to protect others constantly get criticized for not being empathetic with anti-vaxxers.

Since the pandemic began I’ve seen no friends. I’ve seen my mom and dad less then a dozen times. I’ve left my apartment building with a mask on less then two dozen times either to a doctor to refill my prescriptions, to vote or for my cat when she was sick off and on and eventually died. I’ve left my apartment door with a mask on only to take out trash/recycling and pick up mail. I’ve paid extra to get groceries/food delivered and I greet anyone at my door with a mask on.

It’s had a negative impact on my health, but for me it’s worth it to know that I can guarantee I didn’t make this pandemic worse, that no one got sick or died because of me. That some people may have lived because of my actions. How many others have made personal sacrifices for the greater good during this outbreak? How many others would have lost someone or had a loved one fall ill if not for those people taking these protective measures? And all so we the vaccinated can be criticized by others to be more caring to the people who we protect more then they protect themselves. It’s pretty ironic if you think about it.

I respect all you have posted.

I thank you for your strength.

Never lose Empathy though. Without it, there is no communication.  I see anti vaxxers like training a pet. They might pee on your floor, bite your hand, run from you when they should listen...

At the end of the day, for the sake of all of us, we need to get through to them. They will dig in their heels if they think there is a fight. So we don't fight, we keep on giving them as much understanding and information as we can. As time goes on, most of them will come around. They wont thank us, they wont care, but they will want to be part of society again.

Edited by bishopshodan

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I respect all you have posted.

I thank you for your strength.

Never lose Empathy though. Without it, there is no communication.  I see anti vaxxers like training a pet. They might pee on your floor, bite your hand, run from you when they should listen...

At the end of the day, for the sake of all of us, we need to get through to them. They will dig in their heals if they think there is a fight. So we don't fight, we keep on giving them as much understanding and information as we can. As time goes on, most of them will come around. They wont thank us, they wont care, but they will want to be part of society again.

you're a better person than me. I don't give a flying fig what happens to someone who's willfully choosing to be an anti-vaxxer. I'm tapped out.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

The issue is this is a very small, number of people, and no one is mad at them. Anti-vaxxers are trying to hide behind these folks, as if their legitimate health issues apply to their wonky beliefs. No one upset at the anti-vaxxers is upset if they are in this tiny minority of people.

Its really simple, get the shot if you can, or stay home. No one has the right to infect someone else. Its no different than some creep having unprotected sex knowing they have an std.

If you have the vaccine you shouldn't be worried about unvaccinated people.

Either you believe that the vaccine works or you don't.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont think it is likely the team doctor only told him not to get vaccinated, seems more like a personal choice due to online misinformation. 

Well it is your human right to refuse medical treatment, this includes vaccines. Also there have been recent studies suggesting that natural immunity is upwards of 14x more effective than the immunity gained through vaccine.

I still think you should get the vaccine but to suggest someone who has already had covid is a threat to others seems to be incorrect, especially if you're vaccinated. I you're still afraid of the unvaccinated I would suggest seeking mental health treatment.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Hopefully the antivaxxers will eventually 'roll' better. 

I don't know I don't think you're going to change their minds. I just hope that we vaccinate as much as possible. As of today 89.6% of eligible people in BC have had at least 1 dose, so I don't think we really need to vaccinate much more as we've already reached herd immunity awhile ago.

16 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

If you have the vaccine you shouldn't be worried about unvaccinated people.

Either you believe that the vaccine works or you don't.

this again :picard:

Does it matter to you in the slightest what the anti-vaxxers are doing to our hospital system? to our businesses? to kids in school?

Its not about you, or just one person. I'd think by now that would have sunk in.

1 minute ago, on the cycle said:

I don't know I don't think you're going to change their minds. I just hope that we vaccinate as much as possible. As of today 89.6% of eligible people in BC have had at least 1 dose, so I don't think we really need to vaccinate much more as we've already reached herd immunity awhile ago.

Not true.

I'm at 1 of 3 in success with anti-vaxxers in my circle.

I think I am making progress on the 2nd, He admitted that his major issue is being told what to do. He has AS, so he has a medical reason but last week after talking to a nurse about his Bio-meds he is starting to listen, a bit.

I'll get them. Number 3, my Bi-polar bro will be the toughest. 

Keep up the fight. The understanding/empathetic fight, that is. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

artworks-000039488210-rapy7s-t500x500.jpg.7a9b359621b203078c4a3cb7e2de9cbe.jpg

I know, funny coming from me.

It's a classic mma/religious saying. 

too late for me on this front.

When I see people say things like some of the latest stuff in this thread, I just shake my head. Some people just don't get it, even with all the hurt right in front of their faces.

As for the willful anti-vaxxers, I'm not at the stage some are and hoping they die, but I'm quite cold to them. Its a bit like the guys that choose to ride at 250km/hr and blow themselves apart like a chew toy when they can't stop in time. I feel badly for their families, but not for them.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

When I see people say things like some of the latest stuff in this thread, I just shake my head. Some people just don't get it, even with all the hurt right in front of their faces.

As for the willful anti-vaxxers, I'm not at the stage some are and hoping they die, but I'm quite cold to them. Its a bit like the guys that choose to ride at 250km/hr and blow themselves apart like a chew toy when they can't stop in time. I feel badly for their families, but not for them.

Only feel sympathy for those people they might infect with COVID.

• Upvote 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Only feel sympathy for those people they might infect with COVID.

yup. It appears that we're just going to have to let the anti-vaxxers run their course of getting ill and live with the consequences to our health system, which will be very long term.

We had a heath care personnel shortage pre-covid, an its just going to be larger after with all of the people leaving.

Folks that are sympathetic to the "its their choice" idea better pray that their tumour surgery isn't delayed in the meantime.

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

Well, you're obviously not Jesus then. I can scratch you off my search list.

I hear your Jim. I am doing what I can to sway the people I love. I suppose at the end of the day, I can at least say I tried.

My bro is overweight, bad diet, smoker, stress case...I have had to think about the idea of losing him if he gets Covid.

I don't even like people, generally. If I could live in a remote location for the rest of my life, I would. But for the sake of the stupid family, etc....I will trudge on. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

this again :picard:

Does it matter to you in the slightest what the anti-vaxxers are doing to our hospital system? to our businesses? to kids in school?

Its not about you, or just one person. I'd think by now that would have sunk in.

They also forget that unvaccinated people are much more likely to catch the virus, but the vaccinated can have break through cases.

So I for one, would rather stand in a group of people that have been vaccinated and are less likely to have the virus and less likely to spread it to me; than with a bunch of un vaccinated, who are much more likely to have the virus.

Math, for the win.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Well, you're obviously not Jesus then. I can scratch you off my search list.

I hear your Jim. I am doing what I can to sway the people I love. I suppose at the end of the day, I can at least say I tried.

My bro is overweight, bad diet, smoker, stress case...I have had to think about the idea of losing him if he gets Covid.

I don't even like people, generally. If I could live in a remote location for the rest of my life, I would. But for the sake of the stupid family, etc....I will trudge on. 

so you mean my Jesus complex is for nothing?

I have a similar relative situation, but I know him well enough to know arguing will just dig him in deeper. Maybe he gets lucky and gets a mild case.

• Huggy Bear 1