The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver-Detroit: Shoring up before the end of pre-season

To Detroit: Madison Bowey, 4th round pick 2021, 4th round pick 2022

To Vancouver: Vlad Namestnikov (40% retained), Troy Stetcher, 7th round pick 2022

Why?

• Vancouver gets their PKing center to replace Sutts. No one at camp/pre-season looks quite ready for that role.
  • Detroit loses players that don't really contribute to their rebuild anyway
  • Vancouver gets their Russian mentor for Podz (kind of looking a bit lost out there..), Namestnikov's father was also part of the Canucks organization for 5 years as a player.
  • He can play W or C when Sutter and/or Motte come back. He puts up decent offense when given an offensive role. before last year, he had two consecutive 31 point seasons, and before that 44 points for the Lightning. He's versatile, so fits into whichever mold Coach Green wants to go for
  • Vlad is also a former jr. teammate of Bo Horvat in London
  • Detroit gets their futures
  • Canucks get a right-sided depth defenseman
  • Canucks get a little morale boost. A lot of players were frustrated with Benning letting so many players walk two off-seasons ago; Troy was well liked by his teammates and fans. Bring back Troy! With Brady Keeper injured and Hamonic in the air, the Canucks could use a right-handed role player.
  • Madison Bowey isn't getting much of a shot here, but he replaces the depth lost from Stetcher. He already had some success under Blashill as he played under him before the Red Wings signed Stetcher

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Garland

Podkolzin - Dickinson - Hoglander

Highmore - Namestnikov - MacEwen (or Lockwood!)

Petan

Hughes - Schenn (until Hamonic situation resolved..)

OEL - Poolman

Juolevi - Myers

Stetcher, Hunt

Demmer

Halak

Edited by Teemu Selänne

I don't really buy into the premise of bringing back Stecher, esp. when you shell out assets but don't even dress him ahead of Schenn (who many view as the fringe roster RD behind Poolman and Myers); we can just pluck one off waivers in the near future.

Namestnikov at $1.2 million ($2 million * 60%) would be a good piece but likely too expensive to fit with Petey and Hughes signed and presuming Hamonic comes back (we add that cap without shedding any, since Bowey likely doesn't make the regular season roster and we wouldn't be trading cap from within the roster).

Yzerman sounds like he is looking for his team to start getting out of the bottom of the league.  They won't be particularly good but it looks like he doesn't want them to be just trampled on each game.  This makes them worse for picks that hardly ever return an NHLer and won't benefit the development of their younger players.   Younger players are more likely to take a step playing with more established players over fringe players.   

As much as I do like Stecher as a person, he just isn't the player we need and I don't think Benning feels he's the player we need. Bless his soul, he works really hard but he will never have either the skill to put up big points, nor the body size to make an impact physically. 

15 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I don't really buy into the premise of bringing back Stecher, esp. when you shell out assets but don't even dress him ahead of Schenn (who many view as the fringe roster RD behind Poolman and Myers); we can just pluck one off waivers in the near future.

Namestnikov at $1.2 million ($2 million * 60%) would be a good piece but likely too expensive to fit with Petey and Hughes signed and presuming Hamonic comes back (we add that cap without shedding any, since Bowey likely doesn't make the regular season roster and we wouldn't be trading cap from within the

roster).

Yea, the cap would be tight but I think with Sutter out it would work? If he comes back something might have to happen

Fair critique re : Stecher. Only dressing Schenn over him cuz I can't imagine Myers (has already been tried) or Stecher doing well with Hughes. In the end, a healthy Canucks' D would have Schenn and Stecher as 7 and 8 for this year

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We can always try and get Artem Anisimov for free if Colorado doesn't sign him.  I'd play him as a 4C right now.  Big body who can move up to the 3rd line as well.  He'd be on a minimum wage contract as well so should easily fit under the cap.

I haven't seen Anisimov at all this pre-season, though his stat line for the one game he played for so far looks OK. Based on his history I think he would be a good signing for sure, I kind of wonder if Benning offered him a PTO and he chose Colorado. It seems he would be a much better fit than Chiasson but part of that is due to the Sutter and Motte injuries

12 hours ago, mll said:

Yzerman sounds like he is looking for his team to start getting out of the bottom of the league.  They won't be particularly good but it looks like he doesn't want them to be just trampled on each game.  This makes them worse for picks that hardly ever return an NHLer and won't benefit the development of their younger players.   Younger players are more likely to take a step playing with more established players over fringe players.  

I haven't caught that quote, but I don't think the Red Wings are going to have a good year. Vrana is out for 4+ months, Bertuzzi is an anti-vaxxer who is willing to ditch the team and sit out 9 games, and ofc Mantha is gone. Not a great start IMO. Hronek is probably set to lead the team in points again lol.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hamonic for Bertuzzi

EDIT - this might not work actually, I hear Bertuzzi is an anti-vaxxer and isn't with his team right now

Yea - no thx

Screw it, I'm down. Stetcher was a guy that everyone always pegged as a bottom pairing guy, yet almost always ended up with top four minutes. One of the most underrated Canucks of recent memory and could make a nice D partner for Juolevi. It would mean having 2 small D on the back end, but beggars can't be choosers. Without Hamonic our D looks pretty atrocious, so unless a better option becomes available...

And yeah, we do need a 4C, and Namestnikov seems to fit the bill. Would be nice to have another Russian to help Podz out too.

• Cheers 1

Seattle are in a difficult situation. None of their players are waiver exempt.

They have to cut down their roster to 23-men maximum. By my reckoning one forward and one Dman are likely waived.

One forward out of: Bastian, Geekie, Blackwell, Sheahan

One Dman out of: Borgen, Lauzon, Cholowski (once he is signed)

VAN should definitely claim any and all of these guys if they are waived (assuming they are not scooped prior to our #8 spot)

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

They have to cut down their roster to 23-men maximum. By my reckoning one forward and one Dman are likely waived.

VAN should definitely claim any and all of these guys if they are waived (assuming they are not scooped prior to our #8 spot)

Yea, Geekie or Sheahan would be solid Sutter replacements for the time being. Geekie has decent underlying stats and is right-handed, but I don't think he PKed at all last year; not sure it's in his toolbox or not.

19 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I think Benning is waiting for Seattle to waive some of those guys. That would be perfect since we are missing Hamonic and need a replacement for him. I wouldnt mind Borgen or Lauzon as they are better than Hunt or Schenn. 

• 3 weeks later...