The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Orcas on your uniforms

MissNatas

How can you have a orca on your uniforms and NOT help the last whale left alone in total isolation!? How can you gain profit from selling it all and not at the very least help put preasure to let her go

Kiska at marineland canada

Stolen from her home 

Sold to marineland

Spent 51 yrs in captivity

5 of her babies DEAD

2 tank mates DEAD

she is without any trainers NO stimulation or love alone in unbelieveable unhealthy water

She iis going to DIE if we do not get her out! How can we steal her watch her entertain then just leave her to die. Shes depressed heartbroken and lost hope. 

You should be ashamed of your self!! You should not wear that whale!!! You dont deserve to have a beautiful animal like that and sit by and do &^@# ALL to help her!!!!

https://twitter.com/walruswhisperer/status/1435666229671383046?s=19

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, MissNatas said:

How can you have a orca on your uniforms and NOT help the last whale left alone in total isolation!? How can you gain profit from selling it all and not at the very least help put preasure to let her go

Stolen from her home 

Sold to marineland

5 of her babies DEAD

2 tank mates DEAD

she is without any trainers NO stimulation or love alone in unbelieveable unhealthy water

She iis going to DIE if we do not get her out! How can we steal her watch her entertain then just leave her to die. Shes depressed heartbroken and lost hope. 

You should be ashamed of your self!! You should not wear that whale!!! You dont deserve to have a beautiful animal like that and sit by and do &^@# ALL to help her!!!!

Not gonna lie. That’s super sad and something should be done. However, I don’t think that falls on the Canucks and I certainly don’t think the team has any reason to be ashamed. You’re an activist, I get that. But targeting the team in such an angry manner isn’t the way to win over hearts and minds. Why not instead write a heartfelt letter with this information to the owner of the team and see if you can get the Aqualini’s on your side. I doubt they’ll read this thread. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MissNatas said:

Stolen from her home 

Sold to marineland

5 of her babies DEAD

2 tank mates DEAD

What can people do to help?

Something that is missing in your passionate post.

I have never supported a zoo in my adult life. 

I would argue that wearing an Orca on our sweaters brings more light to their well being here in the pacific NW. 

ROGERS NEILSONS TOWEL:

You are right!!!  It was an aggressive post ..im truely sorry... I know better too... Im very very frustrated and heartbroken completely heartbroken. If you could see Me and were sitting in front of me as im saying this you'd see the unreal sadness in my eyes and then tears running down my face. Every min every second that goes by must be the longest min and then longest second in history for kiska. I've wrote HUNDREDS of emails HUNDREDS of letters to anyone and everyone I could find that is canadian and has a huge follower base and fan base to try to get awareness and help her... BEGGING AND BEGGING them to help her... And no one listens... My frustration from that odviously came out on this post. That's was  not my intention or even the type of person I am... Don't get me wrong in a nice girl but can be aggressive too.. But as I said it  was not my intention to be rude or disrespectful. 

To me it just seems like the right thing for the canucks to do ... The players work hard for there wages. Im not asking them for that but they could slip her story into maybe interviews they are doing. On the big screen during intermission??? Maybe I do really what kind of stuff they do but anything to get more people to help... Which I have now included below 1 way to get her out .

Also not just asking or rather begging the team also the coaches and owner

There a project in process called a  sea pens in which im not convinced is the answer since your ocean is turning into a toilet bowl thanks to garbage.. .

Im just asking for help to get marineland to fix. ASAP her living conditions. She has been alone since 2011 ORCAS SPEND THERE LIFE WITH FAMILY ...PERIOD.! 

Much of the difficulties encountered by Cetacea come down to their high levels of intelligence.

More advanced and developed brains have stronger and more profound stress responses. Whales and dolphins have been shown to exhibit examples of culture and distinct languages. They’re some of the most intellectually-complex animals on the planet, able to recognize themselves in mirrors, """""mourn their dead""""""", and even mimic human language. Wild killer whales have cultural behaviours so impressive that some believe they may actually be more intelligent than chimpanzees, putting them at the top of the entire animal kingdom (except for humans). 

MOURN THEIR DEAD she has lost 5 CHILDREN!!!!  

This is not ok for marineland to just leave her like this

The amount of money the canucks make from selling all the stuff with canucks logo on it. In not saying team wages or anyone wages im saying the profit made from all the items sold a TINY bit donated could massively help her find a suitable retirement location... It cost millions too move orcas.. Millions that no one has...  There are places that are ski g for donations. I have a GOFUNDME set up along with others.. But its a hard time financially right now since covid so its very hard to raise funds.. The owner has profited from the. Logo which has the orcas which there is one dying as we speak... Would it REALLY break the bank for the owner players and coaches to help her out? She's the only one left in canada its not like an on going thing ..you help one you have too help them all type thing

SHES the 

ONLY ONE left.  Like how awesome would this looks for the team??? It would most likely bring on a bigger fan base im sure! 

Theres many ways everyone could help from putting the pressure on to help with donating money . 

Again I am so sorry I was a b××ch it wasn't what I was trying to do at all!! I went to help her not pass people off... Your have no idea how much her situation hurts me... It really makes me hate the world some days I am an activist a have too be, animals are so incredible and canada is the worst place for animal rights in the WORLD.. We treat animals worse then china!!!!!!! And they kill over a million dogs in one week for meat festival.. I clean up people garbage in the beaches Almost every week. 

I just wanted her to be ok healthy and happy . she is a HUGE part of my native family history and we lost so many to the schools.. I lost family to the schools  I feel if we don't help  to save her when its right in front of our eyes she's dying .. We are not better now then when the schools were killing those babies and everyone ignored it.

I'd like the think the world has grown since then

I feel its only right thing to do  for the canucks to help since they use the orcas on there jersey's...... They dint HAVE too but its the RIGHT thing for them to do.. Its a good feeling and good karma to help something that can't help itself..  I know this I am an activist for animals.

On 10/4/2021 at 5:09 PM, bishopshodan said:

What can people do to help?

Something that is missing in your passionate post.

I have never supported a zoo in my adult life. 

I would argue that wearing an Orca on our sweaters brings more light to their well being here in the pacific NW. 

at 3.3 billion net worth.

Francesco Aquilini could help her!! Since hes profiting from the orcas. The orcas are known in pactific n.w so are the vancouver canucks it was a good business decision to bring the two together... Very good decision. He is making money the whales dont.  Do you see what i mean .. This is were i get upset. 3.3 billion and i see people trying to help kiska by donating their last $5.... I wish he would see her story and help her..breaks my heart.

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I wish I knew more about Marine Biology, but sadly, it's one of the many areas where my knowledge is lacking.....I have to wonder:

Can she be released into the wild? Does she know how to survive?

Mixed results with the dolphin from "Free Willy"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiko_(killer_whale)

Keiko was captured near Reyðarfjörður, Iceland in 1979 at the approximate age of two and sold to the Icelandic aquarium in Hafnarfjörður. At the time, he was named Siggi, with the name Kago given at a later date.[1][2]

In 1982, he was sold to Marineland in, Ontario, Canada. At this new facility, the whale first started performing for the public and developed skin lesions indicative of poor health and was also bullied by older killer whales.[3][4] Keiko was then sold to Reino Aventura, an amusement park (now present day Six Flags) in Mexico City, in 1985. There, he was given the name "Keiko", a feminine Japanese name that means "lucky one".[1][5] He was transported to Mexico via cargo plane from the Northwest Territories.[6] At the time, he was only 10 feet long and was housed at the Mexican facility in a tank intended for smaller dolphins.[7]

Free Willy[edit]

Keiko was found by film scouts at the run-down park and became the star of the film Free Willy in 1993. The publicity from his role in the popular film led to an effort by Warner Bros. Studio to find him a better home. The pool for the now 21-foot-long killer whale was only 22 feet deep, 65 feet wide and 114 feet long (1,130,390 US gallons (4,279,000 l)), and the water temperature was often too warm.[8] Some of the content was filmed at Reino Aventura and the rest in Mexico City.[4][9]

Free Willy-Keiko Foundation[edit]

Donations from Warner Brothers and Craig McCaw led to the establishment of the Free Willy-Keiko Foundation in February 1995. With donations from the foundation and millions of school children, the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, Oregon, US was given over $7 million to construct facilities to return him to health with the hope of eventually returning him to the wild. Reino Aventura donated Keiko to the Foundation.[10] UPS provided ground transportation to the nearby Newport Municipal Airport in a specialized container. Before he left the amusement park in Mexico, Keiko performed for the public for the last time. Weighing about 7,700 pounds (3493 kg),[6] he was transported by air in a C-130 Hercules loaned by UPS; during the flight, the orca was in a 30 foot long transfer tank filled with sea water and cooled occasionally with ice cubes.[11][12]

On arrival in Oregon in 1996, Keiko was housed in a new (2,000,000 US gallons (7,600,000 l)) concrete enclosure containing seawater, his first experience with this medium.[3][6] His weight had increased significantly by June 1997, to 9,620 pounds (4364 kg).[13]

Re-introduction to the wild[edit]

The plan to return him to the wild was a topic of much controversy. Some felt his years of captivity made such a return impossible. Researchers in a scientific study later said attempts to return him to the wild were unsuccessful, but that monitoring him with radio and satellite tags was part of "a contingency plan for return to human care," which secured "the long-term well-being of the animal."[14] Others considered his release misguided.[15][16] The Norwegian pro-whaling politician Steinar Bastesen made international news for his statement that Keiko should instead be killed and the meat sent to Africa as foreign aid.[17]

220px-Keiko-airplane.jpg

Loading Keiko onto a C-17 transport on 9 September 1998, in Newport, Oregon for transport to the Westman Islands in Iceland

Nevertheless, the process of preparing Keiko for the wild began on 9 September 1998, when he was flown to Klettsvík, a bay on the island of Heimaey in Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland. Upon landing at Vestmannaeyjar Airport, the C-17 Globemaster aircraft suffered a landing gear failure causing over $1 million in damage, though Keiko was unharmed.[18][19]

His day-to-day care became the responsibility of the Free Willy-Keiko Foundation with management assistance from the Ocean Futures Society. He was initially housed in a pen in the Klettsvik Bay where he underwent training designed to prepare him for his eventual release, including supervised swims in the open ocean.

Ocean Futures left the Keiko project in late 2001. The Free Willy-Keiko Foundation and The Humane Society of the United States re-established management of the project at that time until Keiko's death in 2003.[20] Keiko was fully free by the summer of 2002 and departed Icelandic waters in early August following some killer whales but not integrated with the pod. His journey was tracked via the signal from a VHF tag attached to the dorsal fin.[21] About a month later, he arrived in Norway's Skålvik Fjord, apparently seeking contact with human beings and allowing children to ride on his back.[22] His caretakers relocated to Norway and continued to conduct boat-follows with Keiko for the next 15 months.[14] On the basis of girth measurements and blood tests, it was assumed that Keiko had fed during his 900-mile (1500 km) journey to Norway from Iceland.[23] Keiko occasionally approached groups of wild killer whales, but remained on the periphery, at distances of 100–300 meters (109 to 328 yards), with his head pointing toward the closest orca.[24]

Death[edit]

Keiko died in Taknes Bay, Skålvikfjord, Norway, while swimming in the fjords on 12 December 2003, at about 27 years of age. Pneumonia was determined as his probable cause of death.[25][26][27]

Evaluation of the re-introduction process[edit]

Most sources conclude that the project to free Keiko was a failure because the whale failed to adapt to life in the wild.[28] In Norway, Keiko had little contact with other orcas and was not fishing; for months before his death, the whale was being fed daily.[29][30][31] A report in The Guardian describes the freed orca's life in Taknes Bay as follows: "... until his death Keiko was, rather than frolicking freely in his fjord, being taken for 'walks' by caretakers in a small boat at least three times a week. ... It took more than 60 failed attempts to reunite Keiko with free orcas before he followed a group where, spotting a fishing vessel off the Norwegian coast, he followed it into the fjords that would prove his final resting place."[32]

According to an article in New Scientist, "He was seen diving among the wild orcas only once, on 30 July 2002. And after physical contact at the surface, Keiko swam away, seeking out human company on the tracking boat".[33] A scientific study published in the journal Marine Mammal Science (July 2009) confirms that he was seen on the periphery of some wild groups but was never seen to be socially integrated with such whales.[21] In summary, "He never integrated into a wild pod ... and could not break his need for human contact."[34] His return to humans for food and for company confirms the failure of the project according to the same scientific study.[21]

Reasons cited for Keiko's failure to adapt include his early age at capture, the long history of captivity, prolonged lack of contact with conspecifics and strong bonds with humans.[35]

In spite of those comments, David Phillips, executive director of the Free Willy-Keiko Foundation, praised the release project: "We took the hardest candidate and took him from near death in Mexico to swimming with wild whales in Norway".[32] "Keiko had five years with the sights and sounds of natural seawater. I think it was a great success in terms of Keiko, his well-being, and the whole world that wanted to do the right thing."[36] Others also claim that the release was a success, and The Huffington Post called it a "phenomenal success ... giving him years of health and freedom".[37][38]

The total cost of freeing Keiko was about US$20 million. The lead author of the study published by Marine Mammal Science said: "You can't just let these animals out into the wild. You have to take the responsibility, and that might cost a lot of money. The fortune spent on Keiko might have been better invested in conservation programs to protect whales and their habitat ... But that's not as appealing as the adventures of a single whale".[39] An alternative to freeing orcas after long-term captivity, is the use of a "sanctuary" or "oceanic enclosure" (sea pen), according to Lori Marino of the Whale Sanctuary Project.[40][41] "They can’t be released, but their quality of life can be improved by orders of magnitude", Marino said in a 2016 interview where she agreed that the cost would be high ($15 to $20 million). "It’s a solemn responsibility, and it’s the best we can do for animals that are in captivity."[36]

• Thanks 1

Wondering if the O.P. has also written to the owners of the following

Buffalo Sabres

San Jose Sharks

Florida Panthers

As those teams use logo's depicting animals that are also having issues, regarding their long term survival ?

• Cheers 1

No way in hell she CAN NOT be just let go in the ocean. ... Shes  been in captivity for over 40 years. Heres a link to this awesome project.   https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ocean-sanctuary-proposed-for-captive-orcas-1.5215483

has some kinks to be worked out ofcourse as with any new idea but honestly HONESTLY anything is better than dying in that horriable place... Marineland is im told shutting down

https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/10/rumours-marineland-closing-down-land-sale-developers/

I also have word that the developers are finding animal bones on the property.. Marineland is HELL ON EARTH for any animal mammal who was sadly taken there!!!!! This beautiful girl has suffered beyond any of your imaginations!! This is NOT ok and im asking BEGGING those who have used the orcas in any way and have made a buck OR two to help her ... Shes the last one left in canada.. And it will take a very long time to help her heal faster shes outta there the better... There is so much bad at that $&!# hole exposed in just the last few days.. Now is when the $$$$ comes in... She needs canada's support... Sea pens need the support... Is it wrong to ask people who could maybe afford and have gained from these amazing whales  To help??? Even just alittle....  I dont personally as an  Indigenous girl. Growing up around edmonton oilers and calgary flames care if canucks plaster the orcas everywhere im actually flattered... I personally think the stick loomed better but whatever

i do care when there has be a profit made and that profit made is suffering BADLY and noone steps up... Its morally the right thing to do.. The owners net worth is 3.3 billion... And yes its his money i get it ... But if johnny cash was on the. Logo johnny wouldnt just let them have his face for free??? Right??.. 

and you can not compare tillicum to Kiska or Keiko to kiska... 

keiko was set free there was no sea pen they were no right in how they handled that at all and keiko was not abused and ignored nor. Had 5 children that died... 

Keiko never found his family.  For that matter, neither did we.  When orca captures were banned in U.S. waters, the industry simply picked up its nets, and moved the practice to Iceland.  It is possible his entire pod was captured, hunted, or simply died off.  We will never know.  What we do know is that he lived for five years as a sentient being in his natural environment, enjoying the freedom of making his own decisions. He lived longer than most male orcas in captivity. The fact that he did it on his own simply makes his story all the more remarkable. 

keiko died FREE whales are wild. Not ment to be captive EVER... Keiko died FREE...

someone wrote this in a news article people sometimes forget or just dont really know right from wrong this man wrote:

Kiska was taken from her home and her family so that ours might enjoy an occasional, fleeting smile.  The education argument does not hold up to scientific scrutiny.  And even if it did, what exactly would our children be learning?  The next generation of human beings will be running the show when you and I are too old and weak to have a voice.  For the sake of our own survival, these little humans must learn humanity.  And we must be their teachers.

We do not take what is not ours.

Her name is not keiko  She is not ours; she belongs to her family.  Our generation took her away. We are morally obligated to give her back.  We owe it to the generation coming up behind us to search our hearts once more.

Im just asking for help i dont want to debate this there shouldnt be a debate look at her videos look at marinelands violations ...look at the facts ... They STOLE HER and now left ger to die after she made no more money.. Marineland will NEVER PAY. To help her they made billions and billions off her.. But because they are exposed they are crawling under a rock...so im asking those who have profited to PAY IT FORWARD pleasee... pleaseeeee

Just to rey to the one who said about

Sharks and panthers

Grow up... Theres no lonely shark dying in a canada marine park nor is there a &^@#ing lone  panther dying in a zoo..and im not talking about the states. We dont live in the states duh... C A N A D A dude!!!

https://images.app.goo.gl/wDA9jA36sQciYtHd6

20 hours ago, gurn said:

Wondering if the O.P. has also written to the owners of the following

Buffalo Sabres

San Jose Sharks

Florida Panthers

As those teams use logo's depicting animals that are also having issues, regarding their long term survival ?

Hmmm......not sure it's fair to lump the city of Buffalo in on this one...

Isn't that more or less like saying the city of Fairbanks should have done more about predatory lending, back in the late oughts? :unsure:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 3:54 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Hmmm......not sure it's fair to lump the city of Buffalo in on this one...

Isn't that more or less like saying the city of Fairbanks should have done more about predatory lending, back in the late oughts? :unsure:

They should have....

bjt I think it’s in reference to the buffaslug