The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 22 players - Oct. 04, 2021

20 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Poor Gavin Bayreuther. Selected by Seattle, signs with Columbus, and now on waivers.

What an absolute joke of an expansion pick by Seattle. A complete waste.

The weirdest part of that is that Bayreuther was selected from CBJ, gets released by SEA, and then re-signs with CBJ all in the course of 8 days.

I agree, Francis totally screwed himself over with the expansion draft. I know that not all 30 picks will make the team but you'd think there'd have been more deal making because of the flat cap and everything. Seattle fans are gonna be mad when the Kraken don't even threaten for a playoff spot come March.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Poor Gavin Bayreuther. Selected by Seattle, signs with Columbus, and now on waivers.

What an absolute joke of an expansion pick by Seattle. A complete waste.

I imagine Seattle was anticipating the period leading up to the draft, and the draft itself, would be very different. GM's simply weren't giving them leverage and they whiffed on several of their picks. 

I know it's a big salary, but how don't you take Tarasenko? It'd have given them a legit exciting talent to market, it says a lot about Seattle's forward group when the most exciting guys are Gourde, Schwartz, and Eberle. And beyond those three there's really not a whole lot of scoring punch. It's not as if two years of 7.5M is a huge commitment. There are other guys they passed on too, it was a strange draft. 

They're a longshot to make the playoffs imo, even in this division. Only way they do is by grinding it out, playing solid D, and probably playing a trap dependent style. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Quantum said:

The weirdest part of that is that Bayreuther was selected from CBJ, gets released by SEA, and then re-signs with CBJ all in the course of 8 days.

I agree, Francis totally screwed himself over with the expansion draft. I know that not all 30 picks will make the team but you'd think there'd have been more deal making because of the flat cap and everything. Seattle fans are gonna be mad when the Kraken don't even threaten for a playoff spot come March.

I honestly feel that the majority of mock drafts I read prior to the expansion draft were significantly better then what Francis actually ended up taking. Hell, I even feel that my mock up of who I thought Seattle should take was better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

I think Francis made a lot of questionable choices, I don’t see Seattle having anywhere near the success of Vegas 

Too many concussions during your playing career will do that, as a guy gets older. Didn’t Scott Stevens absolutely destroy Francis with one of his patented “keep your head up” hits, back in the day?

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I imagine Seattle was anticipating the period leading up to the draft, and the draft itself, would be very different. GM's simply weren't giving them leverage and they whiffed on several of their picks. 

I know it's a big salary, but how don't you take Tarasenko? It'd have given them a legit exciting talent to market, it says a lot about Seattle's forward group when the most exciting guys are Gourde, Schwartz, and Eberle. And beyond those three there's really not a whole lot of scoring punch. It's not as if two years of 7.5M is a huge commitment. There are other guys they passed on too, it was a strange draft. 

They're a longshot to make the playoffs imo, even in this division. Only way they do is by grinding it out, playing solid D, and probably playing a trap dependent style. 

Imagine the return you'd get on Tarasenko if you retained 50%.

37 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I honestly feel that the majority of mock drafts I read prior to the expansion draft were significantly better then what Francis actually ended up taking. Hell, I even feel that my mock up of who I thought Seattle should take was better.

I had a similar feeling but was waiting to see what they did in free agency before judging.  It's become evident that what they did in expansion was pretty much the extent of what they wanted to achieve.

It felt like they were going too far with "money puck".  I liked some of their more under the radar picks like Geekie, but I agree that it felt like even some of the "bad" money they left with other teams could have been utilized to acquire  players who could have netted them more assets later.  It's not like they even came close to 

Maybe Francis is hoping to take advantage of their cap space at the TDL.  I also think teams were further against the cap this last summer than next so while cap space will always be valuable, it might not be quite as valuable.  Whatever the case is, the opening night line-up is going to be underwhelming.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Brendan Gaunce! 4th line C!

Seeing that currently Highmore may be the guy slotted to start the season there and has done little to impress at preseason I really don't see this as a huge stretch. 

58 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Imagine the return you'd get on Tarasenko if you retained 50%.

It seems to me like Francis chose cap space over asset management. It also seems to me like this is likely an ownership decision, in which case, if true, is a bad sign for Seattle fans. I hope I'm wrong and it's a Francis move and he's going to try and go big next year in FA, because I'd rather Seattle be competitive than struggling to survive as a new franchise. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

It seems to me like Francis chose cap space over asset management. It also seems to me like this is likely an ownership decision, in which case, if true, is a bad sign for Seattle fans. I hope I'm wrong and it's a Francis move and he's going to try and go big next year in FA, because I'd rather Seattle be competitive than struggling to survive as a new franchise. 

Wouldn't be surprised if you're right, and yeah, that would be concerning. I don't want Seattle to be a Vegas, and they won't be, but I'd rather it be an entertaining rivalry than see them tread water. I'd rather see Alberta tread water. 

• Cheers 1