The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 22 players - Oct. 04, 2021

41 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

A lot of hockey is just randomness. It is really hard to tell when a team will come together and catch lightning in a bottle. 
There are very few sure things. Tampa doing well last couple years, sure, Colorado doing well this year, sure, past that there is nothing definitive. 
Don’t have a clue how we will do this year. My suspicion is we will score and score a lot and be scored on a lot. I think we will probably outscore our troubles, at least in the regular season, particularly because we should have two good PP units. 
Remember a monkey can pick playoffs as well as the “experts”. 

Honestly that is true of most things, especially those which involve humans.

I use a form of analytics in the business world and really if you can get a regression equation that explains 30% of a process outcome you are doing amazingly well.

That is what a lot of folks here don’t understand… nobody strictly relies on analytics.  It is just a tool to get an extra advantage.

If your team has a formula of player attributes to that explains/predicts 20% of the reason a team wins… and the other team has a formula that only explains 10%, you have a huge advantage over the long term as random variation evens it.  None of that is going completely predict short term, single season results with 100% accuracy as there are too many other variables.  Injuries… chemistry… some player has a newborn and can’t sleep well.. etc etc.

22 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Gauncer was one of the nicest Canucks, almost to a fault. 

Incredibly smart as well, will have no trouble with a career if he ever chooses to retire from hockey early. 

I would love to see him play with a reckless abandonment like each shift is his last I bet the guy would do some damage.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

A lot of hockey is just randomness. It is really hard to tell when a team will come together and catch lightning in a bottle. 
There are very few sure things. Tampa doing well last couple years, sure, Colorado doing well this year, sure, past that there is nothing definitive. 
Don’t have a clue how we will do this year. My suspicion is we will score and score a lot and be scored on a lot. I think we will probably outscore our troubles, at least in the regular season, particularly because we should have two good PP units. 
Remember a monkey can pick playoffs as well as the “experts”. 

This is a pretty good summation.  With that in mind however, I am interested in seeing as to what extent our overall team defense can cover our right side D deficiencies.  While guys like Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Schenn, Bowey, etc are not top pairing calibre dmen, it will be interesting to see if our new additions such as Dickinson, Garland, and Podkolzin will be able to bring more to the table defensively then their predecessors. Also, to what extent will Shaw's influence benefit our team defense as a whole?

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

This is a pretty good summation.  With that in mind however, I am interested in seeing as to what extent our overall team defense can cover our right side D deficiencies.  While guys like Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Schenn, Bowey, etc are not top pairing calibre dmen, it will be interesting to see if our new additions such as Dickinson, Garland, and Podkolzin will be able to bring more to the table defensively then their predecessors. Also, to what extent will Shaw's influence benefit our team defense as a whole?

No team is perfect in salary cap league, maybe Tampa for a couple years but they really played loose with cap. Our right side isn’t our best feature but the left side could be pretty exciting and definitely more top 9 depth than have seen in a while.  Garland is a vet here and he is only what, 25?

A lot of good youth which can make for a rollercoaster season. 

On 10/4/2021 at 11:34 AM, JamesBlondage said:

Another ex-Canuck name on waivers in addition to Gaunce is Michael Carcone. Seen lots of ex-Canucks or former Utica players on waivers this year...

Is that the guy we traded to the Laffs for Leivo? I believe he was and damn that deal was a steal. 

• Vintage 1