The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp Apps and Desktops Crash Throughout the World on Monday

Elias Pettersson

4 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Haven’t had Facebook, must be 10 years now. IG is alright but honestly if it was all gone I wouldn’t even blink an eye. I think society would be better without it 

100% 

It's a mindless scrolling app that always inevitably leads to displaying a life that's better then reality.  

I was lucky enough to grow up right around the time when the percentage of households having access to internet went from something like 20% to 99% or whatever it is now.  I really don't believe that the older generation has a good grasp on online interactions through Facebook, Twitter, etc, etc.  

I also can't imagine what it's like being born into a world if your birthday is after the year 2000 let's say, and not having a context of what it was like before.  

21 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

100% 

It's a mindless scrolling app that always inevitably leads to displaying a life that's better then reality.  

I was lucky enough to grow up right around the time when the percentage of households having access to internet went from something like 20% to 99% or whatever it is now.  I really don't believe that the older generation has a good grasp on online interactions through Facebook, Twitter, etc, etc.  

I also can't imagine what it's like being born into a world if your birthday is after the year 2000 let's say, and not having a context of what it was like before.  

So true. I use to tell people I was so many years clean but referring to Facebook haha.

Yup I’m old enough that I’ve seen/been in both generations and I know for fact on a personal level I’m generally happy and more engaged with “real life” because I’m not on it. It’s easy to get wrapped in it and it becomes just part of life but it’s definitely not the key to a happy life. You wanna share things or talk to people you care about. Call them up, have a real life talk with someone. There’s less and less of that all the time.

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

They don't get it up soon, there will be some angry 'Guberment is going after my  Freedumb' people losing it. 

Oh wait, how will they express their displeasure? 

they'll march on an elementary school

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

100% 

every none rainy day we would meet up and play street hockey until it got dark, then lots of days I would have ice hockey that night. ever gone from being on roller blades for a couple hours to skating on ice? feels weird.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

powell river doesnt have craigslist or kijiji? weird.

Powell River Swap and Shop is the place to go, but it is a Facebook thing.

Kijiji has 6 items posted for sale since Sept 20. Not much traffic.

Craig list has you searching through North Vancouver adds. Narrow down the search with the map function and find 1 add in Sechelt.

13 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I agree and think is was, but to confirm it from the inside is another level. Purposely driving the divide.

It's still so strange to me.

I have never used any of these platforms.

I know I'm not alone in that but it is so strange to realise that soo many people out there are reliant on these in their everyday lives. 

Been laughing all day about this.

It actually screwed a parliamentary vote for the NSW Premier.

One could hope that this will break the addiction many have to Zuckerberg's control system however I know how stupid many people actually are.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I really don't believe that the older generation has a good grasp on online interactions through Facebook, Twitter, etc, etc.

That's a bit of a generalization.  

Define "old".