The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rhd under radar

Rate this topic

Itchyfinger

You may be on to something with Bowey. I want to see more.

That give and go play he did with Miller in yesterday's game ... the one where he gave it to Miller, skated behind the net to the other side of the ice where Miller hit him with the cross ice pass ... that was great chemistry with Miller, great reading the play, and fantastic, high level anticipation. Was truly impressed by him yesterday. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Fair assessment, as long as they can avoid whatever caused him to not pan out in Washington (he was a highly touted pick too) we should have something solid, if only a decent RHD.  As long as they don't overvalue him for his draft pedigree or play him too much (he was acquired for defensive ED fodder, after all) we should at least have more RH depth.  

• Cheers 1

Great point. I think he played really well yesterday and would like to see more. 

I want the Canucks to cut everyone else and play the guys that are legitimately playing for a spot alongside the ones that are locks. 

No offense but I don't need to see Borroughs, Dries, focht, Bailey, Dowling etc

I want to see

Podz, Gadj, Lockwood, McEwan, Petan, Di Giuseppe, Highmore Hunt Juolevi Bowey Rathbone 

That's pretty much it

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Great point. I think he played really well yesterday and would like to see more. 

I want the Canucks to cut everyone else and play the guys that are legitimately playing for a spot alongside the ones that are locks. 

No offense but I don't need to see Borroughs, Dries, focht, Bailey, Dowling etc

I want to see

Podz, Gadj, Lockwood, McEwan, Petan, Di Giuseppe, Highmore Hunt Juolevi Bowey Rathbone 

That's pretty much it

Actually I’d much rather see Dowling than McEwan, Petan, Highmore, and Hunt.  He really impressed me last game seemed like he could be really good as the 4C with Sutter out.  Seems sorta like Motte.  Wouldn’t it be awesome to have 3 Mottes on the fourth line with Lockwood, Dowling, and Motte.  All have great speed, and all seem very good defensively for the most part.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Actually I’d much rather see Dowling than McEwan, Petan, Highmore, and Hunt.  He really impressed me last game seemed like he could be really good as the 4C with Sutter out.  Seems sorta like Motte.  Wouldn’t it be awesome to have 3 Mottes on the fourth line with Lockwood, Dowling, and Motte.  All have great speed, and all seem very good defensively for the most part.

I haven't really noticed Dowling much but maybe that's a good thing when in consideration for a 4th line role. 

I watched Bowey live in Kelowna, his last year of junior. He was playing alongside Josh Morriesy and back then I felt Bowey was more powerful and dynamic. Hope he earns a spot and helps this team if/when called upon. Reclamation project with lots of ability. Hope he gets more confidence and sticks with us.

• Upvote 2

Definitely liked what I saw last game. He wouldn’t be the first late bloomer d-man who blossoms in his mid-late 20’s either. I hope Green rewards him from his excellent performance on Sunday and decides he gets to play tomorrow. I think he needs a much closer look/examination given the uncertain Hamonic situation the team currently faces.

43 minutes ago, mll said:

Wasn’t traded to Chicago.  Detroit didn't think much of him so they let him go to free agency.

My good buddies favorite team is Detroit. When we traded for Bowey I asked him about his time in Detroit. He said that Bowey was generally pretty terrible and shouldn't be in the lineup regularly if you want to win hockey games. 

Personally I didn't watch any Red Wing games besides the ones where we would have been playing them, but I trust his opinion on guys I don't see often. Not sure if op watches Detroit games regularly, but the only first hand I have is he definitely didn't play well.

We were expecting Hamonic to be playing top 4 minutes, and stabilizing one of Hughes or OEL. I really don't believe Bowey is a Harmonic replacement. He may be a short term answer on the bottom pairing if we can't find anything better, but I can't see him being any sort of actual fix if Travis misses and meaningful amount of time.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Bowey is a 7th Dman who can fill in for injuries.  We have Schenn in that role already so I don't see him making the club.  He'll probably end up in Abby as he will probably clear waivers.

If Hamonic doesn't show up then I think Benning has to explore a trade.  Schenn looks alot slower this year.  He won his two cups so not sure what his motivation is to play right now on a minimum wage contract.  I'd still take him over Bowey though, so it's nice to have him as a 7th Dman.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Itchyfinger said:

It seems with hamonic somewhat of a question mark, the fan mob has panicked.How’ the team going to replace him and who can we trade to find a decent righty d-man. When the replacement is right here, Madison Bowey. I just find it funny that nobody pointed out that this guy can maybe fill the right side vacancy left but hamonic. Decent size at 6’3, and a ton of potential. Played well in Detroit a couple seasons ago, before being traded to Chicago, where it seems he couldn’t adjust. The one thing most scouting reports say is he’s a great skater. Perfect, if being paired with the teams young shifty skating left side (Rathbone/Hughes) someone who can skate with them. Don’t need to replace a older veteran with another older veteran. Younger and faster and even cheaper.

Agreed.  

Bowey was a bit immature when he got into the league.  Hard times and he doesn’t have much time to stay in the show if he doesn’t preform.  

he looked good last game.  Has hustle, size and skating.  We have a hole and injures.  It’s like JB planned for this and is prepared for this season.  

11 hours ago, KirkSave said:

I watched Bowey live in Kelowna, his last year of junior. He was playing alongside Josh Morriesy and back then I felt Bowey was more powerful and dynamic. Hope he earns a spot and helps this team if/when called upon. Reclamation project with lots of ability. Hope he gets more confidence and sticks with us.

And Draisaitl too........I went to about 15 games that year, they were a powerhouse.  I expected Bowey's game to translate well to the NHL ........I'd love to see him catch on on Van

• Upvote 1