The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks-Blackhawks

Canucks-Blackhawks

To Chicago:  Tyler Myers

To Vancouver:  Connor Murphy + Brett Connolly

Cap wise, I think it’s fairly even.  The Hawks get rid of a bad contract in Connolly while the Canucks get a very solid shut down RD in Murphy.  Murphy is a guy that doesn’t look out of place on a top pairing, provided that he has a strong partner.  

I don’t think the Hawks would go for this since Murphy is their top shut down guy, but they might lose Murphy for nothing in the off season anyways?  Getting Connolly off their books would also be huge.

Chicago likely says no to this but stranger things have happened I guess.

Edited by Patel Bure

Chicago just extended Murphy at a steal of a contract.  They have absolutely no reason to trade him.  They have the cap space to burry Connolly and can buy him out next off-season.

Murphy is only 28.  Myers is older and has a higher cap hit and can't really fill Murphy's role.  Murphy is a top-pairing D that can go up consistently against the opponents best lines.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

You are off on Myers capabilities, imo. And why would we want a bad contract at this point in the teams development?

You might be right with regards to my perception of Myers, but I’m not sure if we really need his skill set.  Myers isn’t the type of dman that shuts down opponents, and we already have two prolific puck movers on the back end (OEL and Hughes).  3 if Rathbone makes the team.  The Canucks are in dire need of a shut down dman that would not look out of place on a top pairing.  This becomes an even bigger need if Hamonic isn’t ready to start the season.  

As far as Connolly goes, he could bring some veteran leadership to Abbotsford and perhaps fill in on the big club in case of injuries.

6 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

You might be right with regards to my perception of Myers, but I’m not sure if we really need his skill set.  Myers isn’t the type of dman that shuts down opponents, and we already have two prolific puck movers on the back end (OEL and Hughes).  3 if Rathbone makes the team.  The Canucks are in dire need of a shut down dman that would not look out of place on a top pairing.  This becomes an even bigger need if Hamonic isn’t ready to start the season.  

As far as Connolly goes, he could bring some veteran leadership to Abbotsford and perhaps fill in on the big club in case of injuries.

From Friedman's comments, it sounds like will be seeing Hamonic at some point here. Poolman is a solid player, and while Myers isn't a 1D he's certainly capable of handling harder minutes.

Pretty sure Rathobone will be in the AHL to begin the year, Juolevi is looking better each game, and we actually need him on PK2 more than we need Rathone's puck moving to begin the year.

we'll see where it shakes out but if we get Hamonic back within say a month we should be fine.

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Not to mention, why trade away from a position of need? 

To make it work from a cap perspective.  While Myers is an RD, he's more of an offensive-minded RD, while Murphy is a defensive-minded RD (which would align more with our needs, given that we already have two prolific PMD's in both OEL and Hughes).   That was my line of thinking.  

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

From Friedman's comments, it sounds like will be seeing Hamonic at some point here. Poolman is a solid player, and while Myers isn't a 1D he's certainly capable of handling harder minutes.

Pretty sure Rathobone will be in the AHL to begin the year, Juolevi is looking better each game, and we actually need him on PK2 more than we need Rathone's puck moving to begin the year.

we'll see where it shakes out but if we get Hamonic back within say a month we should be fine.

Completely agree with you on Juolevi/Rathbone.  I’d also like to see Juolevi start on our 3rd pairing while JR goes to Abby and logs huge minutes there.  Call him up for 2nd pairing duty if OEL or Hughes goes down with injury (knock on wood).

The problem with Hamonic returning “at some point” or “in a month” is that our RD is suspect at best even without Hamonic.  If the Canucks start the season without Hamonic, and then an injury occurs, we’d likely have to make a trade from a position of weakness.  I say we be proactive and do something right now.  Trade for Mark Pysyk or sign a guy like Jason Demers.  I’d be willing to give Madison Bowey a shot with Hughes on that 2nd pairing, but will we be able to count on him?

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Completely agree with you on Juolevi/Rathbone.  I’d also like to see Juolevi start on our 3rd pairing while JR goes to Abby and logs huge minutes there.  Call him up for 2nd pairing duty if OEL or Hughes goes down with injury (knock on wood).

The problem with Hamonic returning “at some point” or “in a month” is that our RD is suspect at best even without Hamonic.  If the Canucks start the season without Hamonic, and then an injury occurs, we’d likely have to make a trade from a position of weakness.  I say we be proactive and do something right now.  Trade for Mark Pysyk or sign a guy like Jason Demers.  I’d be willing to give Madison Bowey a shot with Hughes on that 2nd pairing, but will we be able to count on him?

lets see what waivers might bring, there could be a legit 6/7 RHD that pops up this week. 

• Cheers 1