The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 29 players - Oct. 06, 2021

On 10/6/2021 at 6:44 PM, erkayloomeh said:

We snuck markstrom through.

Out of luck. 

I don't think it was luck though.  It was a smart calculated gamble, in that, no team was likely to pick up Markstrom at that cap hit at the time.  

Markstrom was basically the "Sven Baertschi" of goaltending when he came here.   He played horribly when he first arrived from Florida in 2014, and so Benning absolutely made the right decision in bringing in Ryan Miller while allowing Markstrom some time to develop on the farm.

17 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So you're saying Gadjovich is absolutely going to bust in the same way Corrado did?

There’s always a chance. But just how much of a chance is there? I mean, there’s still a chance that Petan finally sticks as a full-time NHL-er, but I’m not counting on that either.

I mean, the Canucks would LOVE to have another player that would be the ultimate version of a developed Gadjovich. So why would they just let him go? Because they don’t think he’ll get there.

Now, it seems they picked a day that he might sneak through, with a guy like Volkov available. But he didn’t. Oh well, time to move on…

Great job by Benning.  :picard:

Spend a draft choice on Gadj, let him take up space on our AHL team, let him develop into a serious prospect with some goal scoring chops.... then....

....only give him a cursory shot at making the team... and dump him in favour of Alex Chiason... who is just as slow and who is on a steep slide to nowhere's ville.

Sorry, but if Gadj, who has shown he never quits or stops developing, takes his chance in San Jose and sticks, I will laugh.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 11:44 AM, Fanuck said:

My only concern with this type of move is that it likely means JB is considering keeping one of the 'veteran' journeymen guys (Phil or Petan for example) instead of using that spot to 'develop' a guy like Gadjo.  If it helps win now, I get it, but will a move like this help us in 2 or 3 seasons when that journeyman is long gone.....?  

Bingo, now he's (Gajo) gone so it's a moot point unfortunately.  

On 10/9/2021 at 9:46 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Great job by Benning.  :picard:

Spend a draft choice on Gadj, let him take up space on our AHL team, let him develop into a serious prospect with some goal scoring chops.... then....

....only give him a cursory shot at making the team... and dump him in favour of Alex Chiason... who is just as slow and who is on a steep slide to nowhere's ville.

Sorry, but if Gadj, who has shown he never quits or stops developing, takes his chance in San Jose and sticks, I will laugh.

This was primarily Green and his roster decisions. It's also on Benning too, but I'm not happy about Green's preseason.

Edited by Dazzle