The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 29 players - Oct. 06, 2021

Just being nitpicky at the moment - and peeved that Gadjo is on waivers - why did have to list him at the VERY top of the list. 

I hope we can sneak him through to the Abby Canucks but a tad difficult when he is starting the list of "available options" around the league. 

It would be interesting to see if Lind gets re-claimed by the Canucks, but highly doubt at this point in our decision-making process. 

A classic angle to our CDC-special #AssetManagement point would be to pick up Roland McKeown to complete the Jason Garrison -> 2014 TB 2nd Rd Pick -> Linden Vey experiment circle. 

7 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Curious if the Canucks have any interest in Roland McKeown.  I don't think he's a major upgrade at RHD but given Hamonic's situation, maybe they want to add a RHD to keep as depth?  It would presumably mean that one or two of Rathbone, Juolevi or Hunt would be waived.

As @EternalCanuckFanmentioned, it might actually be worthwhile to consider as a RHD option. 

I would not be shocked to see Vancouver claim Paul Ladue. Big RHD who has performed well in the AHL, and held his own over 71 NHL games. I think he’s a noticeable step up from Bowey.

(And as a neat side note, Ladue and Tucker Poolman are both from Grand Forks, North Dakota. They are the only 2 people from that area to ever play in the NHL. Plus they also played together in the NCAA for UND, with Boeser).

Edited by D-Money
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Harvey Specter said:

Just being nitpicky at the moment - and peeved that Gadjo is on waivers - why did have to list him at the VERY top of the list. 

I hope we can sneak him through to the Abby Canucks but a tad difficult when he is starting the list of "available options" around the league. 

It would be interesting to see if Lind gets re-claimed by the Canucks, but highly doubt at this point in our decision-making process. 

A classic angle to our CDC-special #AssetManagement point would be to pick up Roland McKeown to complete the Jason Garrison -> 2014 TB 2nd Rd Pick -> Linden Vey experiment circle. 

As @EternalCanuckFanmentioned, it might actually be worthwhile to consider as a RHD option. 

Are you under the impression that GM’s use CDC message boards as their source of information regarding  available players? 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Gadge and Lind, both on waivers.

And oh how we fretted about the expansion draft.

If you fretted about fringe players like Lind or Juolevi being taken, you were barking up the wrong tree.

Fretting over Benning once again using protection slots on fringe players, probably a more reasonable gripe.

• Wat 1

9 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Though either not panning out doesn't look good for Benning's drafting rep 

Benning's drafting record is still "okay" even if these guys are nothing.

But people pointing to these fringe guys as evidence that our cupboards are stocked need to give their head a shake.

Edited by kanucks25

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

At least we picked a busy wire day with a few other claim candidates. Hopefully Gadjovich slips through.

I guess on the + side maybe this increases Lockwood's chances of making the team. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Benning's drafting record is still "okay" even if these guys are nothing.

But people pointing to these fringe guys as evidence that our cupboards are stock need to give their head a shake.

players get outplayed in camp all the time, nothing new here. Just would suck to lose someone with some grit, we have a lot of small skill. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

WTH JB????

I hope there is another story to this... Like he broke team rules ,etc...

What kind of message is this to the players about accountability and earning a spot?

At the end of the day, this could be another Frankie Corrado situation and we may not care much as our team has a lot of good things going on.

I mean Seattle even took Lind and used up an expansion pick on him...

Perhaps this means theres a really good 4c available currently.

Does this also mean Lockwood outplayed Gadj?

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

players get outplayed in camp all the time, nothing new here. Just would suck to lose someone with some grit, we have a lot of small skill. 

I mean if he's not playing hockey well enough to earn a spot, then his level of grit is irrelevant.

• Upvote 1

My only concern with this type of move is that it likely means JB is considering keeping one of the 'veteran' journeymen guys (Phil or Petan for example) instead of using that spot to 'develop' a guy like Gadjo.  If it helps win now, I get it, but will a move like this help us in 2 or 3 seasons when that journeyman is long gone.....?  

• Vintage 1

I am a bit disappointed.

Liked what saw, but I am not coach.  He was great in AHL last year, improved his worst feature in his skating.  Doesn't kill penalties which is currently the most needed role amongst depth players auditioning.  Preseason is preseason.

I guess bright side is this increases chance Lockwood makes the opening night roster.  Probably DiGiuseppe and Dowling as well.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

My only concern with this type of move is that it likely means JB is considering keeping one of the 'veteran' journeymen guys (Phil or Petan for example) instead of using that spot to 'develop' a guy like Gadjo.  If it helps win now, I get it, but will a move like this help us in 2 or 3 seasons when that journeyman is long gone.....?  

Podz will be in bottom six and looking more and more like Lockwood, they weren't going 3 rookies in bottom six.  Someone needs to be 4th line centre looking like Dowling/Petan may hold down that role until Sutter comes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I mean if he's not playing hockey well enough to earn a spot, then his level of grit is irrelevant.

maybe it comes down to just needing more experienced guys on the PK? what he brings 5 on 5 is probably fine compared to some of the other bubble guys. 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I would not be shocked to see Vancouver claim Paul Ladue. Big RHD who has performed well in the AHL, and held his own over 71 NHL games. I think he’s a noticeable step up from Bowey.

(And as a neat side note, Ladue and Tucker Poolman are both from Grand Forks, North Dakota. They are the only 2 people from that area to ever play in the NHL. Plus they also played together in the NCAA for UND, with Boeser).

Interesting.  Don't know much about Ladue but his play style but I'm guessing he's more similar to Hamonic than McKeown would be.  Seems plausible.

It does seem odd that Gadjovich was sent down so soon... it isn't impossible that they want to see if he clears before making some other minor roster move.

Otherwise I would have tried to sneak him through later when the wire is full of better talent.