The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 29 players - Oct. 06, 2021

Gadj has some deficiencies, no doubt, but I felt he had a strong potential to be a bottom 6 NHLer with size and nastiness. He has gotten faster (which he really needed to do) and I liked the fact he has doubled his AHL production per game 3 years running. With Big Mac, I think what we see is what we get - and what we get is a fringe NHLer who will likely always be such.

If he gets claimed it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I really hope he isn't. Maybe with better names coming down the wire shortly, Benning is hoping people will just pass him over for larger fish.

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Why? He’s 25, has only played 10 NHL games (back in 2017-18) and had 3 assists. For Abby depth?

He has been dominant in the AHL for a few years, and was buried behind one of the deepest right sides in the NHL in Carolina.

Very well may not translate to NHL success, but based on our lack of depth on RD at the NHL level, and throughout the org, I'd certainly take a shot.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If Gadjovich gets claimed, it's not going to be fun moderating this place...

Corradogate 2.0.  If Gadjovich does get claimed, I'd think it'll have about the same impact ultimately.

44 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I think this is one of those moves where Benning sneaks gadj through. Some good names on there today

Hope so. It would appear that they were waiting for the right day to do so - not giving teams enough time to test him out and before they have truly evaluated their own talent. God speed Gadj man. 

LW Depth:

Miller                             (Being tested at 3C)

Hoglander / Garland     (one or both could be played on LW)

Pearson                        (staple)

Motte                            (injured)

We are probably most in need of a PK LW which mostly likely determined his cut. He will likely need to learn to PK to make the team or keep developing until we need a replacement for Miller or Pearson. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Why is no one claiming Kole Lind????

;)

Now we'll find out I guess. hahaha Was really hoping for Timmins or Hague at that spot in the draft... Although I generally agree with BPA, we have been needing to stock the D cupboard for some time now. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Chris Thornycroft said:

If the big club calls him up during the season, does he have to clear waivers again? Or is this it for the season? Assuming he does clear this time....

There are no “recall waivers” or “re-entry waivers” any more, so the player doesn’t need to clear waivers to get called up.

Once up, they are exempt from waivers until they’ve either played 10 NHL games or been on the NHL roster for 30 days, at which point they must clear waivers again to be demoted back to the AHL.

• Cheers 2

Yeah i'm bummed he was waived - not because OmG Asssest Manegment Birre Fenning !1!!!111 Kinda jam - but we could really use a guy like Gadj on the team - and lets be honest have needed one since 2011 or longer - but still doesn't looks like he isn't there yet. 

The kids looked good at times and continued to work on his weaknesses. But clearly there is a problem with his D-zone play and coach-a-bility that isn't as obvious to us.  

Hope he clears and continues to improve for us - but not ideal news,. 

• Like 1

Hard to call Jb a great drafter when we keep throwing them away.because they aren’t good. 

is demko really the only Canuck regular we’ve developed through the farm in 7 seasons.

ep hughes boeser hoglander all came right in never played in our farm. Doesn’t bod well for this clubs ability  to draft and develop.  Only 5 nhl regulars drafted in 7 seasons while being a bottom feeder. Lol pathetic. 

oh well keeping veteran plugs over prospects had been the green and jbs way. Its a reflection on how bad the drafting has actually been. 

Vessy Boyd chassion now to long a list of failures but an even longer list of draft failures. 

Edited by combover
  • Haha 4
  • Wat 2
  • RoughGame 2

I haven't paid much attention to Gadjovich in his own zone, I'm assuming that Green etc, saw some deficiencies there that didn't make them comfortable playing middle 6 minutes.

If you want him in the middle 6 or top 9, here's your choices on who you are trying to bump out:

Pettersson

Boeser

Miller

Horvat

Garland

Pearson

Dickinson

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Who are you pulling out to put Gadjovich in?

If the answer is no one, then you're better off taking the chance that he will clear waivers, knowing that any team claiming him will likely have to waive someone else to make room for him in their top 9.

Assuming that he clears, and I will be shocked if he doesn't, considering guys seldom get claimed, he's better off in Abbotsford, playing top 6 minutes, working on his defensive game, and waiting for someone to get injured and give him a chance.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, combover said:

Hard to call Jb a great drafter when we keep throwing them away.because they aren’t good. 

is demko really the only Canuck regular we’ve developed through the farm in 7 seasons.

ep hughes boeser hoglander all came right in never played in our farm. Doesn’t bod well for this clubs ability  to draft and develop.  

oh well keeping veteran plugs over prospects had been the green and jbs way. 
Vessy Boyd chassion now to long a list of failures but an even longer list of draft failures. 

Draft is a crap shoot, you can only look at talent and hope that the player has the drive to develop themselves.

Boeser developed in College and jumped straight into the league. Drafting him at #23, HUGE WIN, he's easily a top 5 on redraft.

Hoglander at #40, HUGE WIN, should have needed time in Utica, but has that incredible drive. If he was a couple of inches taller, he's a top 10 draft pick, awesome job by Benning and team on finding him.

Demko is a huge win, now on a really awesome contract, will be our anchor for years to come

DiPietro, also an awesome win. Really strong drive to succeed.

Pettersson, easily the best player in his draft class, huge win getting him where we did, Hughes, is easily top 3 on redraft.

Rathbone, huge win where he was drafted.

The fact that a number of these guys are stepping into the lineup and not needing time in the AHL, shows how well we have drafted. Needing time in the AHL means that they have holes in their game which need to be worked out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZH96 said:

Enough about Gadjovich for a minute. Do people not realize Alexander Volkov is up for grabs… A young decent framed winger that has a cup ring and upside. Anaheim traded a 2nd and B prospect for him only a year ago. And… he’d be Podkolzins Russian teammate. I’d claim him no hesitation and release Chiasson from his PTO. 

FOR NOW roll this.

N.Hoglander -El.Pettersson- B.Boeser

J.T. Miller -B.Horvat- V.Podkolzin

T.Pearson -Ja.Dickinson- C.Garland

P.Di Giuseppe -J.Dowling- A.Volkov

M.Highmore                      Z.MacEwen

O.Ekman-Larsson - T.Myers

Q.Hughes - T.Poolman

O.Juolevi - K.Burroughs

L.Schenn

T.Demko

J.Halak

LTIR

F Brandon Sutter

F Tyler Motte

W Micheal Ferland-RETIRED

IR

D Brady Keeper

AHL

{Italic players not on contract with Vancouver}

N.Petan -D.Klimovich- Ju.Bailey

J.Gadjovich -C.Focht- W.Lockwood

K.Plasek -S.Dries- S.Rempal

E.Keppen -J.Stevens- C.Wouters

V.Arseneau                   J.Lukosevicius

J.Rathbone - J.Woo

B.Hunt - M.Bowey

A.Sautner - G.Brisebois

D.Stephens - A.Kannok-Leipert

M.DiPietro

S.Martin

interesting.... so why was he cut from ANA? they aren't expected to do anything this year. 

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

interesting.... so why was he cut from ANA? they aren't expected to do anything this year. 

I have no clue to be honest it’s the most surprising name on the list. Maybe to make room for Zegras, Drysdale, etc. They have MANY high-end young players on forward and D. I wouldn’t read too much into the Volkov cut. I’d bet anything he’d come here and put up 10 goals on the 4th line and hit every chance he gets.

Just now, ZH96 said:

I have no clue to be honest it’s the most surprising name on the list. Maybe to make room for Zegras, Drysdale, etc. They have MANY high-end young players on forward and D. I wouldn’t read too much into the Volkov cut. I’d bet anything he’d come here and put up 10 goals on the 4th line and hit every chance he gets.

I know nothing about him - how's his speed?

My guess is they knew they were going to send Gadj down at some point, and knew they needed him to clear. What they didnt want was to play him too many games and "showcase" his skillset to the league. Thats why he sat out a few games. Now they can try sending him down and hope he clears. Once he clears he will be brought back and given more NHL experience. They dont want to lose him and are trying to manage that in the best way possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1