The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 29 players - Oct. 06, 2021

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There goes Lind.

On draft day!

I said how come no one is drafting Nick Hague...?

Obviously I get less correct than the pro's.  I got that one! A big, strong mobile D with a booming shot is exactly what we need!

image.thumb.png.49e8eaebf2847077ef1856a58787acfe.png

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

On draft day!

I said how come no one is drafting Nick Hague...?

Obviously I get less correct than the pro's.  I got that one! A big, strong mobile D with a booming shot is exactly what we need!

image.thumb.png.49e8eaebf2847077ef1856a58787acfe.png

Guess we know the answer to the burning question. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Agreed. Pretty big whiff for Van.

Look?

Lind has been a successful draft pick in his position in the grand scheme of things.  Class A, not elite, AHL'er.  Has been a consideration for NHL line ups. His skill is NHL ready > does not have NHL caliber fitness. I use fitness a bit loosely. His athleticism is does not have the explosiveness, agility, endurance. 

Some guys learn training and diet disciplines to creep their bodies to the point they can compete with NHL'ers when they are close. Maybe Lind still will; waivers is a clear call to arms he has to improve.  Maybe we will see him ''figure it out'' now he has had that call.

Remember Mike Santorelli? Made the Canucks when he was just more fit than anyone.

One could argue Di Giuseppe is not as talented.  But coaches watch battle drills, who can still compete, out skate other guys 50 seconds in to a shift that is ideally 30 seconds. He has learned and puts his body successfully through those regimens.  He has impressed more than two NHL coaches now that he can compete.    

This is some definite bullsh#t when the team, who needs bottom six scoring, waives an option that legitimately makes a line a scoring threat.  Gadjovich has shown well in every game that he's played in, and if you can't figure out your pk/pp units because you have a stupid dinosaur notion that bottom six plays pk, and top six plays pp, and your coaches can't figure it out, what the hell is going on?  Our bottom six has been a blackhole for scoring the last few years, it is costing us games, and costing us progress.   And if you think I'm mad now, just wait till you see me if he gets claimed.  Waive freaking Macewan!!  I watched him last game, and nothing he gave makes up for what we lose in Gadjovich.  We need a guy who knows his role of getting in front of the net!!  Deflect the puck and block vision.  Oh wait, we lost last night, because we don't have anyone who goes and stands in front of the net who can actually do something while there other than stand slightly to one side so the goalie can make the save....

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Look?

Lind has been a successful draft pick in his position in the grand scheme of things.  Class A, not elite, AHL'er.  Has been a consideration for NHL line ups. His skill is NHL ready > does not have NHL caliber fitness. I use fitness a bit loosely. His athleticism is does not have the explosiveness, agility, endurance. 

Some guys learn training and diet disciplines to creep their bodies to the point they can compete with NHL'ers when they are close. Maybe Lind still will; waivers is a clear call to arms he has to improve.  Maybe we will see him ''figure it out'' now he has had that call.

Remember Mike Santorelli? Made the Canucks when he was just more fit than anyone.

One could argue Di Giuseppe is not as talented.  But coaches watch battle drills, who can still compete, out skate other guys 50 seconds in to a shift that is ideally 30 seconds. He has learned and puts his body successfully through those regimens.  He has impressed more than two NHL coaches now that he can compete.    

For sure. Lind has work to do if he looks the same as he did last spring. I thought his skating was a little to Bambi like for the NHL. Looked like an exhausted beer leuguer on back checks. He's still a project.

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Look?

Interestingly, after he left the Canucks, he along with Cody Franson (both rather unremarkable players at that point in their careers) were dealt from the Laffs to the Preds for a 1st round pick.:o

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Enough about Gadjovich for a minute. Do people not realize Alexander Volkov is up for grabs… A young decent framed winger that has a cup ring and upside. Anaheim traded a 2nd and B prospect for him only a year ago. And… he’d be Podkolzins Russian teammate. I’d claim him no hesitation and release Chiasson from his PTO. 

FOR NOW roll this.

N.Hoglander -El.Pettersson- B.Boeser

J.T. Miller -B.Horvat- V.Podkolzin

T.Pearson -Ja.Dickinson- C.Garland

P.Di Giuseppe -J.Dowling- A.Volkov

M.Highmore                      Z.MacEwen

O.Ekman-Larsson - T.Myers

Q.Hughes - T.Poolman

O.Juolevi - K.Burroughs

L.Schenn

T.Demko

J.Halak

LTIR

F Brandon Sutter

F Tyler Motte

W Micheal Ferland-RETIRED

IR

D Brady Keeper

AHL

{Italic players not on contract with Vancouver}

N.Petan -D.Klimovich- Ju.Bailey

J.Gadjovich -C.Focht- W.Lockwood

K.Plasek -S.Dries- S.Rempal

E.Keppen -J.Stevens- C.Wouters

V.Arseneau                   J.Lukosevicius

J.Rathbone - J.Woo

B.Hunt - M.Bowey

A.Sautner - G.Brisebois

D.Stephens - A.Kannok-Leipert

M.DiPietro

S.Martin

You won't find many who would be more willing to snag Volkov than me, but he wasn't traded for a 2nd. Just a 7th and a AHLer - possibly to be exposed.

I wanted to see a line of Gadjovich Petan and Lockwood with highmore as the 13th forward.  They've all shown they actually have something to bring to the table, and thru the games I've seen them, have been noticeable for the right reasons.  All of this for...we need guys who can pk, when we need to train guys to pk...and sacrificing our own picks and talent for a skill that is largely playing a system and reading off of players, which players with high hockey iq generally do anyways... I mean, do you really want to see the slop they're going to put in place instead?

• Upvote 1

Wow, I would've also chosen waiving Big Mac or possibly Dowling over Gadj but it's not THAT BIG OF a deal. There's players in Gadj's class that will be waived this pre-season, including Kole Lind and Alex Volkov today, and Cale Fleury and Noah Juulsen yesterday. It's gonna be OK.

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Like 1