The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Score craps on the Canucks playoffs chances

Rate this topic

grandmaster

58 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I mean he kinda was in his last few years in Arizona, at least compared to his peak (top-10 D-man in the world vs barely 2nd pairing?).

A couple preseason games doesn't change that.

Like I said, lots of players with lots to prove before anyone gives us credit, and rightfully so.

e/ FWIW I did not read the article and I do not stand by the "writer" in terms of his hockey knowledge. Just that it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that most people don't think we're good... there's good reason for it.

People just have this negative agenda with this team because they know they will get reactions. Nobody should expect a team that finishes bottom 10 to be a cup contender the very next year. That also doesn't make anyone a bust.

I love how the avs are a be all end all team... One that can't get out of the 2nd round. Same with oil or the leafs... Stuck with first round exits after very good regular seasons. Yet there is only ever positive vibes coming from all media.

Heaven forbid the canucks add proven quality pieces though, Never room for improvement!!!:unsure:

OEL has looked good in preseason, almost reborn actually, but overall I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about our playoff chances due to our dcorps and the systems Green likes to employ.

As always, when I'm down on the Canucks, I want them to prove me wrong. I'd love to be wrong.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

OEL has looked good in preseason, almost reborn actually, but overall I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about our playoff chances due to our dcorps and the systems Green likes to employ.

As always, when I'm down on the Canucks, I want them to prove me wrong. I'd love to be wrong.

You be wrong!  

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

some interesting bets on PlayNow.

I'm eyeing Seattle vs Vancouver regular season points. I think Vancouver will be better than the Kraken.

image.png.b5ec2eb18909502cec40fc262e7cff72.png

They are also paying 2:1 for Vancouver to make the playoffs.

Ya I put $25 on the playoffs part and $40 on them winning the Cup. Payout is over $1,800. Why not….

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I know I come here and get better analysis from about half the people on the board than almost every media pundit out there.  The only exceptions I really give for our market are Wyatt Arndt who I like for the analytical analysis and Daniel Wagner with Pass It To Bulis who is really good at breaking down specific plays and the overall game.  For overall standpoint about where the team is at, I feel like us on CDC are much more accurate than the normal media pundits with analyzing the overall picture of moving parts in and out of our roster before normal media catches on like in the case of JT Miller.  Yes, there was uproar initially, but after a little time passed during the offseason we took a deeper dive into Miller and I think a lot of us realized he could really be something.  I know I was talking about him that summer as a very similar player to Horvat and look how that ended up.  The media only took half a season to catch up lol.

For example, our right side is a question for sure.  Now most media just say the overall defense is just bad and needs improvements or for the slightly more in touch our right side is very thin and needs someone better.  The people on this board analyze what we could do to improve it (like the people in the waiver wire thread who know a few of the names being waived today) or how to move it around to make best with what we got.  On the boards here we discuss what the best D pairings could be with what we got and what have looked solid, and now after seeing a bunch of preseason games we can say that our defense might not be the hell that completely destroys this team...which is way more than the just straight doom and gloom every spokesperson in the NHL media could ever say.

The way he's set up the d corp is dynamic offense from the left side, more stay at home and cover on the right side.  From what I've seen Poolman looks pretty solid in that role, Myers will play less mins this year and that will up his effectiveness and we know Hamonic is steady, dependable and consistent.  I have a lot less concerns with RD than many I guess

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

Most media outlets have been ragging on our team for years. Given our performance last season, it's continued to be rather easy pickings.

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest our D isn't where it needs to be. Many of our own fans have questions about the D still - myself included.

It's going to take time for some media to take this team seriously. I think we were on our way with our playoff performances against the Wild, Blues and Knights, despite most of us knowing the reason for that streak of success was thanks to our goaltending - but the awful last season pretty much destroyed any confidence the "experts" were starting to have in this team.

I think the Canucks are going to surprise a lot of people this coming season. Crow will be eaten.

Well said.

We'll have alot of fun with the reciepts

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

I think it's a lazy garbage write up .Its almost like he checked out HF Canucks first.

Conversely, when your team has not been good over a number of years, these negative reviews are to be expected.

Until you start winning , you just have to take it, and deal with it.

Unless you're the Oilers or Leafs. You don't have to start winning. They give you the credit regardless.

If OEL playing 25 minutes last night is a shell of himself, then that's not a bad shell.
Quinn will have defensive shortcomings and Poolman/ Myers/ Hamonic/ Schenn will have question marks at 2nd/3rd pair RD, but pretty confident we'll manage.

• Cheers 1

It isn't just The Score. 

The Athletic model has us coming in 23rd place in the league and 5th in the division, well behind Seattle.

They aren't just crapping on the team, there are really good reasons for concern if you can look objectively at all.  We need a bunch of things to go really well to be a wildcard team... nothing is saying they will all go well.

We can hope Hoglander doesn't have a sophomore slump and that Podkolzin can step up immediately into a top 9 role and provide some secondary scoring. 
We can hope that Motte and Sutter come back to make a solid OK duo. 
We can hope that OEL regains a good portion of his prime form in a new environment. 
We can hope that our primary match up D pairing of Edler-Schmidt that left can have their tough minutes replaced by "someone". 
We can hope that Demko is at least as good this season as he was last season to make up for a weak defensive corps.
We can hope that Hughes cleans up the defensive side of his game to become at least average in that regard. 
We can hope that Hamonic comes back and plays (well). 
We can hope that the bet on a largely unproven Poolman being a steady top 4 D pays off. 
We can hope that other teams in our division are way worse than their projections or lose key players.

I hope enough of those things happen to make us a playoff team.  They might not.  If anyone is walking into this season thinking we are an easy lock for a playoff spot, they are wearing some serious homer glasses.  Our team is still flawed and requires some luck to have success.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

It isn't just The Score. 

The Athletic model has us coming in 23rd place in the league and 5th in the division, well behind Seattle.

They aren't just crapping on the team, there are really good reasons for concern if you can look objectively at all.  We need a bunch of things to go really well to be a wildcard team... nothing is saying they will all go well.

We can hope Hoglander doesn't have a sophomore slump and that Podkolzin can step up immediately into a top 9 role and provide some secondary scoring. 
We can hope that Motte and Sutter come back to make a solid OK duo. 
We can hope that OEL regains a good portion of his prime form in a new environment. 
We can hope that our primary match up D pairing of Edler-Schmidt that left can have their tough minutes replaced by "someone". 
We can hope that Demko is at least as good this season as he was last season to make up for a weak defensive corps.
We can hope that Hughes cleans up the defensive side of his game to become at least average in that regard. 
We can hope that Hamonic comes back and plays (well). 
We can hope that the bet on a largely unproven Poolman being a steady top 4 D pays off. 
We can hope that other teams in our division are way worse than their projections or lose key players.

I hope enough of those things happen to make us a playoff team.  They might not.  If anyone is walking into this season thinking we are an easy lock for a playoff spot, they are wearing some serious homer glasses.  Our team is still flawed and requires some luck to have success.

You can’t look at our lineup and say that it is worse on paper than half the league especially those in our division like Seattle.

Also I feel like we might not have to play matchups like we have in the past.  Each one of our lines should be better than the matching line for the opposing team the majority of nights so instead of having a pairing soaking tough minutes, we can control the flow of play more with our puck moving defensemen and superior forwards making us much better analytics wise which you can never look very good in by just throwing a pairing and line out there to get shelled.  Look at the last couple preseason games we matched up top line to top line second to second etc. And look at our possession numbers.  I believe only a single player had a below 50 corsi and expected goals.  Our lineup is just so so much better than last years with all our dead weight from last year turning into huge upgrades.  I have a hard time how on paper we are not a playoff team even if injuries rattle us hard.

9 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Wow that guy sounds like he has a lot of resentment towards VAN. Maybe some hot BC girl once broke his heart lol

That does tend to happen a lot. 

I know from experience. You could call me an expert on the subject. 

• Haha 1