The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you trade our 2022 - 1st plus for a good RHD? (Discussion and Poll)

Would you trade our 2022 - 1st plus for a good RHD?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok......anyone that knows me on these boards, knows I love the draft, but when I look at our RHD, it just looks like we need that better than average Dman, so I ask you the Question, would you make that kind of trade, and who would you want for that type of asset (our 2022 1st)....is there an add to this from our side and who?

• Vintage 1

@Phil_314

@Nuxfanabroad

@nuckin_futz

Hi Guys.....good question, but I want you all to determine the player and his salary

Personally, I am asking the same question

Manson - Anahiem

Savard - Montreal

Severson - NJersey

Are these guys good enough, with a low enough cap hit? I don't know! Is the offer worth the return?

Is there someone better that fits under the cap?

No, I'm tired of our moving our first. Unless we can land one through ufa I just don't see us grabbing a RD of the sort people on here covet. 

With Pettersson and Hughes getting their first big boy contracts, and Boeser/Miller/Horvat all coming up within the next two years we need to be drafting more high end talent to play on ELC's. Hoglander will eventually need a deal too, and if he performs well he won't come dirt cheap. 

If we want to have a lengthy window we'll need to draft well and insulate our top guys with high end talent, some of which will need to be cost controlled ELC talent. Best way to get those players is to draft them, and the best place in the draft to get them is the first round. We've had a great prospect pool over the last few years, but those guys have graduated and become NHL regulars, if not stars. We need to restock the cupboards. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@Phil_314

@Nuxfanabroad

@nuckin_futz

Hi Guys.....good question, but I want you all to determine the player and his salary

Personally, I am asking the same question

Manson - Anahiem

Savard - Montreal

Severson - NJersey

Are these guys good enough, with a low enough cap hit? I don't know! Is the offer worth the return?

Is there someone better that fits under the cap?

No for the first two, besides the appeal of a shiny new toy/ shutdown D-man they really aren't much better than Hamonic or Poolman IMO, at least for the price they'll garner (might be bidding for Manson who's a pending UFA, and Savard probably doesn't go anywhere since Weber's out).  Severson probably costs too much cap wise unless Myers gets shipped out.  If someone like Cernak magically became available then yes, otherwise I'd see if someone like Klingberg can be signed ($24 million in cap, but Pavelski/ Radulov are UFA, Gurianov and Robertson are RFA) or acquire Chychrun then bump Hughes to RD.  

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok......anyone that knows me on these boards, knows I love the draft, but when I look at our RHD, it just looks like we need that better than average Dman, so I ask you the Question, would you make that kind of trade, and who would you want for that type of asset (our 2022 1st)....is there an add to this from our side and who?

It’s funny that you created this thread since I was wondering the same thing.  

I had actually considered creating a thread tomorrow entitled “[proposal] Rathbone, Klimovich, and a 1st for.........”

My guess is that the above package would get Detroit thinking (for Moritz Seider), but I think the Wings would decline that.  

Braden Schneider from the Rangers, and I think the Rangers take a good hard look.  

Inner divisional trade = Hamonic + Rathbone + 2nd for Rasmus Andersson?

Montreal = Myers + 1st for Jeff Petry?  (Maybe this offer could be made at the trade deadline if Vancouver looks playoff bound while Montreal looks Golf course bound).

Personally speaking, I think the Canucks should absolutely explore this idea.  Why? Because - literally our only glaring weakness right now is our top pairing RD.  The Canucks are actually quite elite in every other way.  

-Forward group

-left side D

-goaltending

-3rd pairing

-Power play

-Penalty killing (average right now but would take a big jump with a good RD).  

A good defensive top pairing RD = Quinn Hughes back to his 2019-2020 performance + OEL dominating on a 2nd pairing with Poolman or Hamonic.

I normally wouldn’t be in favor of moving yet another 1st round pick, but a top pairing “defensive” RD would literally kill 2-3 stones for this Canucks team.  

While I can’t see the Wings moving Seider, maybe they bite on Rathbone, Klimovich, and a 1st?   Maybe that package gets you Braden Schneider? 

If Calgary struggles this season yet again, then I’d definitely kick the tires on Rasmus Andersson and see what Calgary’s asking price for him would be.  Andersson is not going to be a superstar in this league, but might be able to be had despite this being a divisional trade.  

Something around Pettersson for Cirreli and Cernak would pique my interest.

Edited by Patel Bure

20 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

It’s funny that you created this thread since I was wondering the same thing.  

I had actually considered creating a thread tomorrow entitled “[proposal] Rathbone, Klimovich, and a 1st for.........”

My guess is that the above package would get Detroit thinking (for Moritz Seider), but I think the Wings would decline that.  

Braden Schneider from the Rangers, and I think the Rangers take a good hard look.  

Inner divisional trade = Hamonic + Rathbone + 2nd for Rasmus Andersson?

Montreal = Myers + 1st for Jeff Petry?  (Maybe this offer could be made at the trade deadline if Vancouver looks playoff bound while Montreal looks Golf course bound).

Personally speaking, I think the Canucks should absolutely explore this idea.  Why? Because - literally our only glaring weakness right now is our top pairing RD.  The Canucks are actually quite elite in every other way.  

-Forward group

-left side D

-goaltending

-3rd pairing

-Power play

-Penalty killing (average right now but would take a big jump with a good RD).  

A good defensive top pairing RD = Quinn Hughes back to his 2019-2020 performance + OEL dominating on a 2nd pairing with Poolman or Hamonic.

I normally wouldn’t be in favor of moving yet another 1st round pick, but a top pairing “defensive” RD would literally kill 2-3 stones for this Canucks team.  

While I can’t see the Wings moving Seider, maybe they bite on Rathbone, Klimovich, and a 1st?   Maybe that package gets you Braden Schneider? 

If Calgary struggles this season yet again, then I’d definitely kick the tires on Rasmus Andersson and see what Calgary’s asking price for him would be.  Andersson is not going to be a superstar in this league, but might be able to be had despite this being a divisional trade.  

Something around Pettersson for Cirreli and Cernak would pique my interest.

Not a chance that you’re getting Andersson, Seider or Petry for those offers 

• Cheers 1

In 44 years we traded our 1st round pick only 6 times.  Gillis only did it once but got one back by trading Schneider where we ended up with BO.  Benning has already traded 2 1st round picks in his 8 drafts, so I think he's hit his limit.

Cernak, Carlo, Weber, Severson, Mayfield, Petry, Subban.  What do these guys all have in common?  They are all RHD that are or have been stars in this league.  They were also ALL drafted in the 2nd round.  So you don't need a 1st round pick or need to trade a 1st round pick to get one of these elite RHD.

I think Benning needs to keep all his picks moving forward so he can replenish the team when necessary with young ELC contracts so we can stay competitive indefinitely.  I know it's easy to want to go all in right now so we can try for the Cup, but remember that's what Gillis did and we almost got there but weren't able to do it.  We then paid for it big time afterwards.

I'd rather try and find another Hamonic type player for cheap or look to free agency next summer.  For this year we just have to ride it out and play who we have.  If Hamonic doesn't show up then we roll with what we got for now.  Let's see how the season unfolds.

• Cheers 4