The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you trade our 2022 - 1st plus for a good RHD? (Discussion and Poll)

Would you trade our 2022 - 1st plus for a good RHD?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:21 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok......anyone that knows me on these boards, knows I love the draft, but when I look at our RHD, it just looks like we need that better than average Dman, so I ask you the Question, would you make that kind of trade, and who would you want for that type of asset (our 2022 1st)....is there an add to this from our side and who?

I voted yes.   I know we've only had 2/3 firsts the last few years, but for better or worse,  this core is in a win now mode and like Janis stated it is one of the teams few remaining weakness's.   I like Manson/Mitchell types...it would be a huge compliment to our PK and our 5x5 playoff performance.     Only thing other then this would be to re-set the rebuild very soon, like COL did with Barrie and Duchene ... meaning trading Miller and one other player, and hope for the best three years from now building around QHs,EP, Hogs etc.    Think our team could pull off a trade with our first for Manson but it would have to be a trade and sign - if we can dump Hamonic for the rest of the season.   So far all our trades for firsts have worked out brilliantly, one more could be the cherry on top .... of course it could all backfire down the road but it is what it is. 

Edit:  As for trying the COL route ... a few things.   They got extremely lucky with the OTT trade, no way were they expecting (nobody was actually!) for a team with Stone, Zinbanejad, EK, Hoffman, Anderson etc that almost went to the final, to unravel and end up with Byram as a result (actually best odds for first overall!)...Sakic was more likely expecting a player in the low 20's back for that pick, and IF we trade Miller it will be to a fringe contender as well, one with enough cap space or to an actual contender with an injury.   So a Hogs/Rathbone  back is likely the best we'd get, and that would be good drafting. 

Edited by IBatch

9 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Conor Timmins is our guy:

Although It probably wouldn’t take our 2022 1st, what do you think it would take to coax Arizona into trading us Conor Timmins?   

Age wise and position wise, I think Timmins is our guy.  Guys like Seider, Schneider, Dobson, Andersson, are all great, but there’s no way we’d be able to realistically acquire them barring a *huge* overpayment.

Timmins alone is not worth a 1st.  But perhaps we can shed some contracts to go with the 1st.

Maybe 1st + Hamonic + Ferland?

• Cheers 1

On 10/18/2021 at 4:49 AM, RomanP said:

We can’t afford a contract of someone who is worth 1st round pick

Don't forget we've lost Hamonic ... it's possible someone else ends up on the LTIR as well, plus we could always play a shortened roster.   Basically we have around 5 million, by sending one guy from the stands who didn't dress down, Hamonic and what's left right now ... it's for sure not ideal, but at the same time doable for a player in the pay range. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Don't forget we've lost Hamonic ... it's possible someone else ends up on the LTIR as well, plus we could always play a shortened roster.   Basically we have around 5 million, by sending one guy from the stands who didn't dress down, Hamonic and what's left right now ... it's for sure not ideal, but at the same time doable for a player in the pay range. 

Think about long term implications of having such a player on the payroll, beyond this season.

On 10/6/2021 at 9:24 PM, Coconuts said:

No, I'm tired of our moving our first. Unless we can land one through ufa I just don't see us grabbing a RD of the sort people on here covet. 

With Pettersson and Hughes getting their first big boy contracts, and Boeser/Miller/Horvat all coming up within the next two years we need to be drafting more high end talent to play on ELC's. Hoglander will eventually need a deal too, and if he performs well he won't come dirt cheap. 

If we want to have a lengthy window we'll need to draft well and insulate our top guys with high end talent, some of which will need to be cost controlled ELC talent. Best way to get those players is to draft them, and the best place in the draft to get them is the first round. We've had a great prospect pool over the last few years, but those guys have graduated and become NHL regulars, if not stars. We need to restock the cupboards. 

+1million!

Exactly this.

• Cheers 1

On 10/6/2021 at 8:42 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

@Phil_314

@Nuxfanabroad

@nuckin_futz

Hi Guys.....good question, but I want you all to determine the player and his salary

Personally, I am asking the same question

Manson - Anahiem

Savard - Montreal

Severson - NJersey

Are these guys good enough, with a low enough cap hit? I don't know! Is the offer worth the return?

Is there someone better that fits under the cap?

Hell no to Savard. Manson - nah. Severson - &^@# yeah. Would be pretty much the perfect fit alongside Quinn Hughes. Good luck getting him out of New Jersey though, but maybe they think he's expendable with the addition of Hamilton. Would cost a lot more than just a first though.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 8:42 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

@Phil_314

@Nuxfanabroad

@nuckin_futz

Hi Guys.....good question, but I want you all to determine the player and his salary

Personally, I am asking the same question

Manson - Anahiem

Savard - Montreal

Severson - NJersey

Are these guys good enough, with a low enough cap hit? I don't know! Is the offer worth the return?

Is there someone better that fits under the cap?

Weegar would be another perfect fit, but is probably pretty well untouchable. Maybe Jokiharju or Sean Walker would be attainable?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Sure. But there’s no way Vegas moves him.  He’s a young Norris quality defender who’s signed for 4 more years to a team friendly deal.  

Theodore was drafted at 26.

That means Benning should have kept all 1st and 2nd to draft another Theodorelike player.