The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

In all fairness, if I recall I think Chiasson was used on Edmonton's PP unit to stand in front of the net ... even when McDavid and Draisatl were on the ice.

He was kinda my point I guess. I just hope I’m wrong about all this cause right now it doesn’t seem right 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Sure...if you think like a dinsoaur.

::D

thinking like a dinosaur would be carving out a roster spot for a forward who isn't versatile enough to play in a variety of situations because he's hefty and doesn't mind punching guys in the face. 

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Disappointed to see Gadjovich get claimed but all the best to him.  I suppose this means that SJS genuinely thinks he can make their NHL team.  They're pretty bad so it seems plausible, but the Canucks could claim him back if SJS decides he doesn't make the cut.

Although there were lots of things to be hopeful about in Gadjovich's case, last year was the really bright shining year in his development after a pretty dismal start.  Maybe it's one of those things where the coaches have formed a bias over the years of evaluating Gadjovich's abilities, or maybe they're right and he won't even be able to cut it with SJS.  We'll find out soon.  I for one think that this might be a mistake, but hopefully not one in the order of giving up on a guy who becomes a top-6 or even solid top-9 NHLer.

For me, he was showing potential to eventually have some decent trade value. That’s I think bother me most about this…the asset management aspect. 

If there is no roster spot, that’s fine.

But given another year in the A (again, yes he has to clear) and if he maintained the same progression, he could have become an trade chip if we couldn’t use him. Instead, another piece disappears for nothing. To make room for a PTO. A PTO who very likely could be waived once Sutter or Motte return.

I hope I’m wrong but this seems like a wasted opportunity.

3 minutes ago, Crimson said:

Gee, it's almost like the professionals are better equipped to determine who a player is likely to be...

Ya that’s why there’s no misses in the 1st round of the draft (Virtanen, Juolevi just to name recent Canucks). Professionals aren’t that great either

Just now, tas said:

thinking like a dinosaur would be carving out a roster spot for a forward who isn't versatile enough to play in a variety of situations because he's hefty and doesn't mind punching guys in the face. 

Or putting up points in the greasy areas...

• Cheers 1

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Or putting up points in the greasy areas...

it wouldn't be enough of a contribution to balance things out. the guy is only going to put up so many points playing 7 minutes a night at even strength, with bottom 6 linemates, and nothing else. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

We're already seeing the same red flag issues on the ice as we have the last few seasons.  Whether it's preseason or not the same consistent problems us arm chair gms keep pointing out are incredibly evident in the on ice product and scrimmages.

Now we see the same issues with coaching evaluation on players.  Very specific types of veteran players with very redundant skill sets chosen over younger hungrier players with yet unknown ceilings.

If Green can't get it together by New Years he has to go.

It ultimately comes down to the GM. If Benning wanted Gadjovich on the team, he would be on the team. Just like Loui Player Name and all the other useless veterans he shoehorns on the team. 

29 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I hope someone in the media asks them wth they were thinking 

"Well you know, we really liked Jonah, and you know he's a really tough player, but you know, we couldn't find space for him after we signed Alex (Chiasson) and you know, we wish him all the best on the Sharks, you know"- Jim Benning.

5 minutes ago, tas said:

Or because he can stand in front of the net on the PP and not much else (Chiasson), skate fast and nothing else (Highmore), or be an offense only player on the 4th line C spot (Petan).

The reality is no one fighting for the bottom 6 spots are particularly well rounded.

• Cheers 1