The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 14 players - Oct. 09, 2021

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Size don’t matter if you can’t skate.

Dickinson will be the fourth line center. I’d rather flank him with some guys that can skate and get in on the forecheck.

Dickinson needs to be our 3C. He’s a waste on the 4th line.  Brown might not be fast but he’s a big body and you can throw smaller wingers in to play with him. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We need more size on the fourth line.

No more 6’ and players. We need some big boys for the bottom 6.

Which is why I hope Bailey makes the cut. Losing Gadjovich made us a much smaller team.

We could trade Rathbone to Boston...not an ideal place to send him but it would be doing him and his family a solid by allowing him to play super close to him be it NHL or AHL. Boston has some depth C's with some size like Trent Frederic, Jack Studnicka is not as big but he is a right shot C. Both were much higher picks so Boston might not want to do a simple 1 for 1 deal though

• Wat 1

37 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Brown is someone I've always been keen on. he's always had potential but just hasn't been able to put it all together yet. if Benning picks him up, I'd be ecstatic and maybe he finds his game here

I would take a risk on him also myself, but who knows right!? This is also Jeff Brown's kid too no?? Worth a flyer on Vs. trading a pick or asset to acquire one... 

40 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

We could trade Rathbone to Boston...not an ideal place to send him but it would be doing him and his family a solid by allowing him to play super close to him be it NHL or AHL. Boston has some depth C's with some size like Trent Frederic, Jack Studnicka is not as big but he is a right shot C. Both were much higher picks so Boston might not want to do a simple 1 for 1 deal though

So, trade a potential future +40 power play offensive D man for a 4th liner?

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

So, trade a potential future +40 power play offensive D man for a 4th liner?

Studnicka isn't a 4th liner going forward.  Unless Rathbone's defense improves dramatically, he's far more valuable in a trade.  We already have Hughes and there is zero room on an actual NHL blueline for a defensive liability.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Size don’t matter if you can’t skate.

Dickinson will be the fourth line center. I’d rather flank him with some guys that can skate and get in on the forecheck.

Agree about Brown, Benning wants speed

As for how the centres fall, it depends on whether Green decides to play Miller in the middle while Sutter is out.  The question then is how he wants the wings to look; whether Boeser plays or not..... If Boeser is in, they can have a lot better balance, if not, the 4th line probably doesn't play much.

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

DiGiuseppe Miller Petan

Lockwood Dickinson Podkolzin

Miller Pettersson Hoglander

Pearson Horvat Garland

DiGiuseppe Dickinson Petan

Lockwood Dowling Podkolzin

The team is much better with Sutter in the line up.  I stand to be corrected on some of the bottom 6 pieces

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We need more size on the fourth line.

No more 6’ and under players. We need some big boys for the bottom 6.

Which is why I hope Bailey makes the cut. Losing Gadjovich made us a much smaller team.

Good point!! I'm dying to see Bailey throw big hits and play smarter than Mac!! 

18 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wasn't Kempny a pretty good player? Gambrell?

Thought some of these guys were pretty decent.

Kempny is quite a good player, when healthy. But has had a rough time with injuries the last while. Basically missed all of last season. I think his Achilles? I’ll have to check.

Also, he carries a $2.5M cap hit, which is probably the main reason he’s getting waived. Caps want to bury some salary.

But the guy can absolutely play, when healthy. His performances have always exceeded the values on his deals, right up until last season, which was lost to injuries.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

I also hope to see Bailey in the lineup, MacEwan is not my guy for the job.

I was thinking about this.

The road has been rough for Bailey but I have always been rooting for him when he plays. Has some great attributes.

He wasn't at camp due to covid? Border? Shame he couldn't show.