The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What grade would you give Canucks for their pre-season performance?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

Pre-season performance  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

D      Agree with many commenting here (and on other topics) that Green spent far too much time auditioning 4th line players that might end up only being here for a few weeks when our four missing players return.- instead of focusing on building synergies between new & old players and solidifying lines and especially cleaning up our attrocious Special Teams which are a disaster.   With what I've seen so far, I would almost expect a slow start with 2 wins and 4 loses in our first 6 road games but do expect the team to be better overall this year because of the removal of most of the deadwood over the last two seasons - even though the replacements are not super men - they still are an improvement over the useless bottom six we had. Fingers crossed, I'm still positive overall on the team (not so much on Green) and predicting a return to playoffs.

Green seems to be building a dynasty team in the Playstation by focusing in on Personnel rather than focusing in on a system that will maximize each players talent - so players will be more inclined to buy in rather than being miscasted and destroying the players moral & trade value.

I agree the re vamp roster can compete but can the coaches put it all together ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

I gave the team a C- because so many players were out for most of the preseason.  Brock Boeser nursing an minor injury, both Motte, Sutter still out and EP and QH only played the last 2 exhibition games.  So it’s hard to measure how good their preseason was.  I know a lot of people on he message board are going to be disappointed or angry we gave up on OJ.  We do get a couple players back that have decent size and are the right age range but I get the feeling the young players we let go are going to hurt us down the road.  It’s hard to swallow losing Lind, Gadjovich and OJ in short order.  Stinks of desperation t be honest, but it is what it is and we’ve got what we got.  If we don’t make the playoffs and do deep I think Aquilini is going to drive Benning to the airport himself.  

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

Good, OK, bad, weird.

there was actually a lot to like, OEL looks great, so does Poolman. Petey and Hughes got some meaningful work in. Pods got better and better, he's already driving to the net and making plays. Garland looks like a keeper. Thought Hughes looked solid 5 on5 vs McBaby.

Demko looked OK, gave up a couple he probably wants back. Liked how Halak looked tho.

Losing Gadjovich... 'nuff said. A bit worried about Brock.

Hamonic.

Well said! 

• Thanks 1

I’m fine with the pre season.  Biggest concerns for me were the PK and Demko.  
not sure how we will sort lug the PK,  but I do think Demko will sort it out before we play for real.

-OEL looked like a top pair d

-garland was dangerous 

-Pod looked excellent.

-dickinson was as advertised,  not sure how much scoring upside he has though.

-I liked poolmans  game,  he is going to be ok

-halak looks solid as a backup

Concerned with our 4th line to start the year, but given the strength of our top 9,  I don’t think they will see too much ice time.

-rathbone isn’t ready,  but looks like he will make the team

-I’m concerned about our 3 rd,  I hope we make a move to fix it.

not sure how I feel about the OJ trade today.  Looks like we got two projects for 1,  which is a win I guess?

Pre-season is never something about which to get too excited.  It's rarely a predictor of regular season performance.  If I were to give it a grade it would have to be a C I suppose.  There was lots of time for tweeners to show what they have but too many of them didn't have enough to be impressive.  Some of the late decisions have me shaking my head.  Zack Mac sent down while Chiasson is signed is an odd choice.  The Juolevi trade also has me shaking my head.

It will be interesting to see what happens starting Wednesday.

On 10/10/2021 at 1:02 AM, Diamonds said:

F

Feels like the team is not prepared for the season. Too much time auditioning guys for the 4th line and not enough time building chemistry. I also think Demko needed at least one more start. 

Hopefully they can start to gel over the next few days and don't struggle out of the gate.

They have been doing this approach for several years.  It would be nice to have your entire team play the preseason, to set them up for a seccesful season.  But, you don't want some meathead that won't earn an NHL spot taking a shot at your best players 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, combover said:

F. 
on the ice the team looked down right bad

off the ice we also looked bad. 

If we did fantastic in the preseason those that love  excuses would happily grade the team but we didn’t do it’s excuse time. 

I Agree !  It's all GREENS FAULT!